xisto Community
Grafitti

Gmail Settings... Im sure its somewhere..

I'd like to know how to disable gmail sending a copy of everything i send from a browser to my outlook express. The reason i use the browser soemtimes is because the internet is too slow for the outlook express pop client. So it's pretty useless for me if the next time i open outlook a copy of everything i sent comes in. how can i disable it? i'm sure it's a simple thing, and one that eludes me.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think this solution should work: in Settings > Forwarding and POP, select "Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on" in the POP Download section. Try it and see if it works.

Um...I dunno, but maybe you could set up a filter in Gmail somehow? Like maybe you have a certain email address that sends you these things, so you could set your filter to include those emails or maybe there's certain word in that email that identify it--so filter those emails to remain inside Gmail. I guess you could set it to "archive", and then maybe set the POP3 settings to not forward mail in archives.

Is this the only problem you've have with POP access through Gmail? I've heard of several problems and am weary to begin using it...

Yes. So far this is the only problem i've come up against. Otherwise, set up correctly everything else works great. Though nowdays there are lots of other options for hosts that have both IMAP and POP access for free, mailboxes of at least 1 Gb, etc.

Hi Grafitti,

I've come across the same problem.

What happens to you, is that you send e-mails using the gmail web interface, and when you use pop3, these SENT e-mails strand in your inbox.

That is because everything Gmail says is new goes straight to your inbox.

I think that's the limitation of the Pop3-System.

The only easy workaround I can think of (I did not use it myself yet, because I don't do this often).

Filter the mail's headers

I don't know, whether Outlook provides that option natively, but if it doesn't there's a plug-in and a lot of better applications.

I don't know that much about e-mails, but I know, that the headers change while they go their path in the internet.

For demonstrating purposes, I sent myself an e-mail from the Gmail web-interface to another address.

This is the (plain-text, so you see the headers) e-mail I sent (and later received over Pop3, the Gmail issue we're talking about):

X-Gmail-Received: 91a59ca321b4469d95138e39092239d07d0e802e

Received: by 10.65.222.5 with HTTP; Sat, 5 Aug 2006 04:58:27 -0700 (PDT)

Message-ID: <9a872c900608050458j16a197f5x7af1d6512711ae08@mail.gmail.com>

Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 13:58:27 +0200

Reply-To: random@reply.to

To: my@other.emailaddr.es

Subject: testest

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Content-Disposition: inline

Delivered-To: randomname@gmail.com

now go

Well, that's a lot of headers already, but now let's have a look at the e-mail, that arrived 1 second later.

(by the way, I replaced all e-mail addresses with random stuff, so spammers don't love me even more.

X-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.0 required=5.0

Return-Path: <randomname@gmail.com>

Received: from snoopdog.datapimp.com ([216.239.132.29] verified)

by mws.de (CommuniGate Pro SMTP 4.3.9)

with ESMTPS id 54769928 for randomname@mws.de; Sat, 05 Aug 2006 13:58:34 +0200

Received-SPF: neutral

receiver=mws.de; client-ip=216.239.132.29; envelope-from=randomname@gmail.com

Received: from py-out-1112.google.com (py-out-1112.google.com [64.233.166.177])

by snoopdog.datapimp.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4D26C1A4BBF

for <my@other.emailaddr.es>; Sat, 5 Aug 2006 04:58:29 -0700 (PDT)

Received: by py-out-1112.google.com with SMTP id f28so601125pyf

for <my@other.emailaddr.es>; Sat, 05 Aug 2006 04:58:28 -0700 (PDT)

DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;

s=beta; d=gmail.com;

h=received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition;

b=NTtYr4dGM2rrqB+5ZcdBykHxB40FSoN0LFZg2ExWyXOPUBBXc8lw+8A+XXubc762B9xJ7DC26LFhSbQmUJL5tcP/Ceka1EnCsed8AwIR2VmuohOcPJw46zZ2V2RTE5MsvfXBfrWuJfHreMP0qzAsDR+y8o3/ik0RfLXjog/UosE=

Received: by 10.64.148.8 with SMTP id v8mr6310413qbd;

Sat, 05 Aug 2006 04:58:27 -0700 (PDT)

Received: by 10.65.222.5 with HTTP; Sat, 5 Aug 2006 04:58:27 -0700 (PDT)

Message-ID: <9a872c900608050458j16a197f5x7af1d6512711ae08@mail.gmail.com>

Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 13:58:27 +0200

Reply-To: random@reply.to

To: my@other.emailaddr.es

Subject: testest

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Content-Disposition: inline

now go

It look's exactly the same, when you just look at what your mail application displays. But when you turn on the headers… KABOOM!

Now this is extra long, because I used a forwarding address.

You see the slight difference between the headers. There has to be something to distinguish these two e-mails, that even a robot can do, right?

Let's cut through the chase:

In the sent e-mail, the following headers:

X-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.0 required=5.0

Return-Path: <randomname@gmail.com>

Received: from snoopdog.datapimp.com ([216.239.132.29] verified)

by mws.de (CommuniGate Pro SMTP 4.3.9)

with ESMTPS id 54769928 for randomname@mws.de; Sat, 05 Aug 2006 13:58:34 +0200

Received-SPF: neutral

receiver=mws.de; client-ip=216.239.132.29; envelope-from=randomname@gmail.com

Received: from py-out-1112.google.com (py-out-1112.google.com [64.233.166.177])

by snoopdog.datapimp.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4D26C1A4BBF

for <my@other.emailaddr.es>; Sat, 5 Aug 2006 04:58:29 -0700 (PDT)

Received: by py-out-1112.google.com with SMTP id f28so601125pyf

for <my@other.emailaddr.es>; Sat, 05 Aug 2006 04:58:28 -0700 (PDT)

DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;

s=beta; d=gmail.com;

h=received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition;

b=NTtYr4dGM2rrqB+5ZcdBykHxB40FSoN0LFZg2ExWyXOPUBBXc8lw+8A+XXubc762B9xJ7DC26LFhSb

QmUJL5tcP/Ceka1EnCsed8AwIR2VmuohOcPJw46zZ2V2RTE5MsvfXBfrWuJfHreMP0qzAsDR+y8o3/ik0RfLXjog/UosE=

Received: by 10.64.148.8 with SMTP id v8mr6310413qbd;

Sat, 05 Aug 2006 04:58:27 -0700 (PDT)

weren't there.

I assume, that's because the sent e-mail hasn't been received yet.

So if you just set up a filter, which marks read and sends all e-mails that don't have such headers to the "sent" box, you should be done. Another (but not perfect) way would be to just lead everything to the "Sent" Box, that has your own email address in the "From:" field. You decide, what works best.

This is a long post, I hope you got the point, ask back.

Edit:Sorry, confused something, changed it now.

vhortex, this may be complicated, but this is Xisto, home to professionals, so you should be able to deal with it. I don't only explain the problem, I also provide the way to solve it.

Your post at least doesn't get him any further to solving anything.

Edited by ruben (see edit history)

aww.. this post make my nose bleed.. to much technical..the reason that gmail sends all to inbox is that there seems to be noway to tell outlook that this email must go to this folder..one more thing.. since gmail is built with search engine on mind.. all emails are really on the inbox..they are just tag so that they wont show on you inbox if they are draftsand wont show on any folders if they are not tag..gmail implements tagging not actual folder categories..

Ok i tried doing what ruben said. it seems to be working relatively fine. it doesn't seem to go 100% ok, at least in my case, as it starts filtering messages from other people back to me. you know how gmail will make a back-and-forth conversation as one email, right? so if someone replies back to me, it occasionally gets filtered out because my name was in the headers as well. Neways it's definitely something for Gmail to work on. A simple option in the POP3 settings. and since my emails tarted working again, it's not such an issue for me anymore because i can send and recieve properly through outlook express. thanks tho.

Hi Grafitti!Sorry, I wasn't posting lately because my hosting wasn't approved yet…So, I thought about it again. I understood, that right now, you filter all emails, that contain your email-address in the headers to be "Mails sent by you"? I don't which filtering options Outlook provides, but this is not the best approach.Another thing I thought of, which should work fairly fine:Every email you receive goes through the automatic Google-Spamfilter.So it receives the header "X-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.0 required=5.0"(or in case, it is spam, it will have different digits in it, but then you probably won't receive it).Well, my idea is: Just let Outlook check every email for the header "X-Spam-Status:". If it does not have the header, it never left your account, because everything that gets in from the outside, receives this header.If Outlook does not provide the possibility to check for custom headers switch to Mozilla Thunderbird or Eudora or get a plug-in (there ought to be plenty).Good luck, ask back!

protect mail idGmail Settings...If I send email via gmail receiver not show my gmail idSo how can I setting in gmail then receiver not show may mail idPlease reply me via my mail id . Mehul shah-question by Mehul