xisto Community
CyberReaper1405241516

One Comp. Two Monitors? Anyone know how?

I have one computer that I use for Photoshop and i was wondering if anyone knew how to set it up so that i can use two monitors to display my comp. I wanted to use one screen to place all my tools on PS and the other screen to actually draw. I have no clue how im gonna pull it off which is why i was wondering if anyone had any tips or if they themselves knew how to set it up?

What graphics card do you have? I think the nvidia ones have something called nview in the configuration where you can place things where you want but i'm not sure because i only have the one monitor.You might also want to try some multi display software if you can find some. Other than that there isn't much more tips i can give you-HellFire

When i went to reply on a how to, i realized i forgot somewhat how to do it... so i did some searching and came across a greatly helpful site

http://freepctech.com/pc/001/guide_dual_monitors.shtml

like it says having 2 video outputs is needed, or 2 video cards i.e. one output each, from there the windows settings are quite simple as to setting it up

i believe the setting you will want is a "extended desktop" where you can drag windows from one monitor "out of the screen" and onto the other

When i went to reply on a how to, i realized i forgot somewhat how to do it... so i did some searching and came across a greatly helpful site
http://freepctech.com/pc/001/guide_dual_monitors.shtml

like it says having 2 video outputs is needed, or 2 video cards i.e. one output each, from there the windows settings are quite simple as to setting it up

i believe the setting you will want is a "extended desktop" where you can drag windows from one monitor "out of the screen" and onto the other

Yes, you are correct. You need a graphics card with two outputs, or two graphics card if they only have one output.

This is what my setup is...err... going to be. But I've had a dual monitor system before, so besides the kicks (assuming you want this NOT to be cool), your productivity level goes up which is why I'm going dual... :unsure: Also, dual monitors are VERY ADDICTIVE!! You'll have a hard time using one monitor again!

Oh, if you do go dual monitors for extended desktop, take a look at this software, I think it will help too having a taskbar on the other monitor (I don't know why MS never put that in, but it drives me crazy...) http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm

[N]F
Edited by nightfox (see edit history)

You can also buy a small box that has one input and two outputs.. of course depending on what you spend you get either simply 2 displays the same, whereas others can split the image over 2 monitors if your card supports it. it should, if it's anything decent.

Eh, I have no idea. But I saw it on some video. Maybe it was a banner on a website.Sounds cool. Maybe put a clip of it on YouTube for us to see?

You can also buy a small box that has one input and two outputs.. of course depending on what you spend you get either simply 2 displays the same, whereas others can split the image over 2 monitors if your card supports it. it should, if it's anything decent.

I think it would be more expensive than buying a simple PCI videocard (even 2nd handed will work well enough).

And don't forget this, it's addictive (like nightfox already said :D ) and not only for PS, but you can have MSN (or Mercury, Gaim, ...) on one screen and have another program (FF, Filezilla, StudioMX, ...) on the main screen.

P.s. 3 screens are cool too :unsure:

The best way to do it is to have a video card that has dual outputs. NVidia uses NView to split the display between 2 monitors while ATI uses Hydravision (if I remember correctly). Just use a vidcard that can run 2 monitors and skip the external box, they usually don't work correctly and take a lot of configuration to get them to work, if you can.

I saw this kind of thing on my friend computer, but he had one graphics card with two outputs/inputs for monitors and what I can say is that it was cool, something like that can also be done by adding your TV to the computer for watching Movies not on the monitor, but on your TV set if you have a big TV, TV can be your second screen and when you scroll your mouse goes to the other side.But if you want to save power, you know Two monitors always on can take a lot of electricity, so you can buy one big monitor and use very high resolution which is recommended for that monitor and your desktop can look really fancy. As said, you get addicted to high resolutions and it is hard to come back to 1024x768 or even 800x600 after using for example 1280x1024 or higher. :unsure: Just my several cents..