xisto Community
zomowiec

The Best Media Player?

m trying to find a better media player than WMP, mainly for audio/music. Im trying to find one that plays mp3's and mp4's, and if possible ogg and flac, but its not nessessary. ive tried VLC, but it kept freezing on me everytime i made a playlist, possibly because i have too many songs(1400+). winamp and itunes seem to be too bloated IMO, and WMP itself just lacks in playable formats/features. Any recommendations? thanks in advance.[edit]My os is WIN XP =)

Edited by zomowiec (see edit history)

SHEESH!1400+ mp3 files?!?!?!?You don't need to worry about bloated programs, you need to worry about all the song files you'll be dealing with!My C drive is almost gone because I have around 750 mp3s. It's like a 10Gb drive!!!

jetaudio

it is the best

i am using it for 6 years and i did not find any problem.

by jetaudio you can manage your music, rip your cd, record, conver video and audio and work on tags !

it is free software :D

How 'heavy' is this SongBird (I mean CPU and RAM usage during music playback)?1800+ MP3s here =pI'm using an old 17Gb Barracuda just for them =pIf I only could get a DVD burner...

Use winamp. It's just so much better and easier to use plus it has so many useful features and because it is from the company of shoutcast it has an inbuilt shoutcast broswer as well as tv browsers too. You really need to try it out to see just how good it is :D-HellFire

hai, everybody... i highly recommended foobar 2000.foobar dont have pretty skin, only simple window on playing menu. even it dont have impressive looking but u sure will impress by it audio quality. since i use foobar 2000 i already uninstall winamp. believe me...if u looking for best sound standard, try foobar 2000.beside that...can somebody help me as i looking for some plug in for foobar 2000? so far i only managed to get some pre set equilaser :D

I'm sure there are better but I've always used winamp without any problems. Various file types (audio/video) as well as smooth light interface (if you don't choose a retarded skin).VLC is awesome for video but I've never tried it with audio. But yea if your only problem with winamp is bloat just use it with the classic skin or another lightweight skin and it should be fine, turn off the extra portions and just leave the main player and playlist sections open and you have a tiny little responsive player at your disposal.Oh and 1800 mp3's? Pfft, lightweights :D

I'm sure there are better but I've always used winamp without any problems. Various file types (audio/video) as well as smooth light interface (if you don't choose a retarded skin).
VLC is awesome for video but I've never tried it with audio. But yea if your only problem with winamp is bloat just use it with the classic skin or another lightweight skin and it should be fine, turn off the extra portions and just leave the main player and playlist sections open and you have a tiny little responsive player at your disposal.

Oh and 1800 mp3's? Pfft, lightweights :D

Yeah I'm using Winamp 5.2 right now for music, and Windows Media Player 10 for videos in general. I don't like much iTunes or Quicktime since they're too heavy... And I'm used to keep Winamp sound playback for hours and hours, while running Photoshop, Firefox, even some games, etc. That's why I was looking for a lightweight player. =p And hehehe these MP3 files are there for a lifetime. Anyway I'll give a shot on Foobar 2000 and VLC to see how do they work here. Nice to see you guys use a big variety of programs... I'd like also recommend Media Player Classic (it's no Microsoft's one, at least not original). Light and pretty good on CODECs (mainly for video). I suppose it's a hacked Windows Media player version 7 with enhanced stuff.

Yeah, you can go with Winamp, it is able top play music and video and is stable with a lot of features or you can use an alternative: Quintessential Media Player, QMP for short, the development version of QCD, you can get it at http://www.quinnware.com/ it is Freeware and very powerful, full of features and skins.. I think it is stable, don't really have problems with it, it is able to play most of the music and video files.. Just don't be like others and don't uninstall it because you didn't like the default skin :D

In Windows I use a very old Winamp..I think its version 2.03
Check this site out Old Verions.com

It has every realease of Winamp in there as well as many other apps..
These older versions of Winamp run soo freaking fast compared to all the new players on the market today.

I dont need the media guide 5.1 sound etc that the new verions give you and nearly every mp3 I have (over 200gig !!) is tagged and is included in a playlist somewhere so I dont need the playlist support.

For movies and video clips I use VLC player-yes your right about VLC dying with too many things in the playlist ;( I killed it many times with my music collection ;( but for video its the best thing around I think..I hate MS Media players!!! I hate Apple! so an open source alternative is a MUST for me!

In Linux I use Amarok for mp3s-just love the basic skin and the features like album art..lyrics..biogs etc I use VLC and Xine for playing movies..