xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
honeycomb

What's The Best CMS CMS or not CMS?, that is the question

I think we should discuss this on CMS->Drupal so that if we're on to any valuable information, we'll be able to share it with the public. If you have any specific questions just post a thread there (and PM me a link :() and I'll answer. I feel like writing a Drupal Module Guide. I think I'll start working on that. If anyone is interested, PM me or contact me through MSN (check my profile).

I see that you have already replied to the thread I started there at the CMS->Drupal section: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/90437-topic/?findpost=1064349709

And pertaining to the Drupal Module Guide, and the above thread, I have done some study on the Taxonomy Module. I think I can write up a basic guide to understanding of Taxonomy module.

I have been searching for years

What's The Best CMS

I have been searching for years for the best CMS, and finally arrived at WebAPP from http://www.web-app.net/ why?

1.) Fastest

2.) Written in genuine Perl and NOT in PHP.

3.) Safe

4.) Stable

5.) Great support

6.) Universal compatible DB system

7.) Cache

8.) System restore

9.) Open source and free

10.) Infinite addon and resources from cpan.Org as a small example..

11.) 1 trillions other reasons!

I recommend WebAPP!

Markov

Web-app.Net

-reply by Markov

I have used joomla for a long time But I feel that Drupal is the most strongest hinghly flexible. it is a module or a template, drupal is the best.

Now it is very easy to create theme in dupal using our dreamweaver extension

http://dreamweaverdrupalthemeextension.blogspot.com/

Edited by sherifmayika (see edit history)

read many artical and try many CMS, but still haven't find a best CMS, have you find it?
phpWebSite
Tiki
XOOPS
TYPO3
FreeWPS[tm]
XDBCMS
Nucleus CMS
Mambo

I am using new CMS called "ModX" with full ajaxed admin control panel. It is cool and most promising CMS of 2007. You can visit https://modx.com/ and know much more then i can say.

Among the all CMS scripts available Drupal is the best. Drupal is faster, advanced, flexible, simple and version 6 onwards more easier too.

Now it is very easy to create theme in dupal using dreamweaver extension

Drupal is the opensource CMS supported by a company.

the only criticism faced by drupal is its user interface, whish will be overcome by version 7 to be released jan 2009

Am currently using Wordpress as my cms/portal/front page but it inst really classified as one but you sure can make it like one. I have used many cms software and have liked joomla but i gave it a miss in the end as it was a tad bit difficult to use. I then tried a lot of other ones including xoops which i didn't like and drupal which wasn't letting me install it. After reading some of this thread i decided to have a look at mambo as before i didn't bother but it looks alright..

well i have tried almost every cms out there and have enjoyed joomla, drupal and wordpress (as a cms) the best...Although Wordpress is meant for blogging i think it is super easy to make it a cms with all the plug-ins and extensions wordpress supplies. It is easy to use and a wonder to look at but i just didn't find it was a strong enough cms for me to use although i recommend this.Drupal was nice and really powerful. I like this probably the best out of all of them but the templates available severely let me down. I would say that it may be a tad bit confusing for some although but most cms are. Although once you know what you are doing your gonna find it great!Joomla is the one i am using now and i would probably draw a line level with drupal on this one but it has the best range of templates a cms can ask for. But there are some features Drupal have which Joomla doesnt but i just work around it. Joomla is really easy to install also and very easy to get around. I find the extensions library as a major factor i am using this as well. I recommend this as well. Although some knowledge of css, php and the general site stuff wouldn't hurt.I vote Joomla!

Have you tried Joomla or Drupal? They're both pretty good. Mambo is pretty much the same as Joomla as far as I'm aware.For blogs Wordpress is by far the best system in my opinion.

Edited by kpxchunsa (see edit history)

I'd say for a powerful and highly customized site, go with Drupal. There are tons of high traffic websites that use Drupal, so there shouldn't be many problems on Drupal's side if you have a high traffic site. There are also a ton of themes that look professional, which is nice. The only thing I don't like about Drupal is with many addons and plugins you have to install more than one plugin to get the original one to install. This can make you install 10+ plugins to get a simple video plugin to work.I'm currently using e107, but I don't like it that much. The support is quite terrible, I have had quite a few questions go unanswered, and the few that got responded to took a while. There haven't been any security updates (or updates at all) in the time that I have had the CMS installed for (~8 months) which makes me wonder how they are keeping up with security. The admin panel for e107 is nice, and things can get added very fast. Some of the themes are bad (namely the default ones), but there are tons of sites where you can get free e107 themes that look decent.

Which CMS is better ? I think this is purely subjective topic. And you'll get different answers from different people. Some people will recommend based on popularity. Some will recommend based on theme and extensions/plugins availability. But it all depends on individual view. We all have different needs and CMS needs to chosen depending on your needs.

Choose CMS which suits your comfort. Sometimes all we want is simple posting capability and spam protection, designs etc. In that case, choose cms based on ease of use and availability of your needs. Don't choose cms cause you saw some good themes of it on other sites. Choose based on how much you're comfortable with it. To find good CMS for yourself, you've to experiment with some CMS.

Wordpress- wordpress CMS is perfect for bloggin needs. If you want to start with blogging and article posting. Then this is good cms. It has lot's of plugins and themes. You'll find it simple and powerful.

Drupal- This is more of advanced and comes up with lots of plugins and themes. Not suitable for newcomers to CMS. It has steep learning curve. It takes some time for you to be comfortable with it. But in fact it is more feature packed CMS than anything else in market.

Joomla- Like drupal, it is also powerful with features. Lot's of themes and forum integration available. And most of the hosting providers do support this script in fantastico or scriptaculous. If you don't want to use drupal for complexity then choose joomla. It is bit easier than drupal.

There are few more that i would like to mention like textpatter, movable type and mephisto. Expression web is also cool CMS, check the demo on their site. You can try all the top suggest CMS for yourself and then decide.