xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vyoma

Drupal Taxonomy Module Tips, guides, and pointers please

I installed Drupal for my website, and am having a walk in the park for almost all the modules. The one module that I am finding it hard to understand is the Taxonomy module.It is one of the most confusing and hard-to-learn module in the Drupal, but I went through few of their documentation and I realized that it is a powerful tool for categorization. Since I am planning on launching a site that contains quality articles, and these articles need to be categorized, I understood that I need to use this module soon as the artcile-base starts growing. Could some one who has used Drupal, explain to me how I should go about using it? Some guides, pointers or tips please?

Hey, thanks for that link, sid.calcutta. It helped me quite a bit. I could easily create a simple vocabulary and a list of terms for my site. I could also make it so that all the articles would be tagged to one of the items.

For now, it goes something like this:

Vocabulary: Topic

Terms (will add more later):

-Photography

-World Building

-Wise Tome

-Other

For now, I have disabled the multi-select which I may enable later.

Now, I have a question. How do I make it come automatically in a menu? At present, I have put a menu in a block and I am hand coding each of the above taxonomical term URL to each of the menu item. How do I make it come automatically, such that, when I add another term, I need not go and make changes in the menu block?

Now, I have a question. How do I make it come automatically in a menu? At present, I have put a menu in a block and I am hand coding each of the above taxonomical term URL to each of the menu item. How do I make it come automatically, such that, when I add another term, I need not go and make changes in the menu block?

I have one word for you: Views. It's a great module that allows you to create a menu/block/page consisting of a listing of nodes (that follow a specific criteria). If you're having problems with it contact me.

I have one word for you: Views. It's a great module that allows you to create a menu/block/page consisting of a listing of nodes (that follow a specific criteria). If you're having problems with it contact me.

seec77, thanks for pointing out that to me. I have one specific question though. Is the View Module a core module of the Drupal CMS? I am a bit paranoid on the continuity of the modules and I am a bit worried on using Modules that are not core to Drupal. What I mean is, when Drupal changes its version and there needs an upgrade, I am afraid that there would be considerable time before the other Modules that are not core, to upgrade and be compatible with the upgraded Drupal.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer on that module. I would surely try it out.

No, it's not part of the core Drupal (though I really think it should be :(), but it has got such a heavy amount of interest, and a great community around it, that it will be a very short time after a new Drupal version comes out that Views will be compatible with it. In short, this is a module you really don't have to worry about. And besides, sometimes you can retain using the newest version for a while until all the modules you need get upgraded.

Edited by seec77 (see edit history)

You know what? After you pointed me at that module, I went and had a good look at it and read its documentation. It really deserves to be in the core of Drupal. I hope they put it into the core when they go 4.8 or something like that.OK. seec77, I think we should stop discussing on the other Modules. I started this thread as "Drupal Taxonomy Module". :(

You can check out this tutorial :

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This site gives a step-by-step guide on how to use Taxonomy Module in Drupal.

The website quoted doesn't seem to be there anymore. Did they move somewhere else? Are there anyother good drupal tutorials out there? Although the handbook on the drupal site is detailed, it can be confusing somethings.

I know the basics of Taxonomy module now, and can use it like one would use it to create categories for the different types of articles. I know how to get such a set up done, and a little bit more. I was thinking of writing a pretty basic guide by myself, that would be a subset of the Drupal handbooks.Meanwhile, is there anything specific you would like to know, doudou?