xisto Community
Captain Jerry

My Windows Isn't Genuine?

Ugggg, I just found out (from my computer!) that my Operating System (XP Pro) isn't genuine :(

I got a great deal on a used computer from a Swap Meet a few months ago. Will Microsoft accept a letter or something, along with a little toy cash register receipt and give me a license key, or will I have to buy a new copy?

Dang, I should have known better, from now on, I'm building my own systems (I've been studying!)

Posted Image

Unfortunately this is quite common with legit software too, so I'm not sure how they assume some are not genuine.There's many ways around this, but explaining that here violates quite a lot so I can only suggest you google or do direct it to MS and see what they can do.Cheers,MC

I've heard rumors about people contacting microsoft in similar situations and M$ hooked them up with a new, genuine, cd key to use. How legit these stories are I'm unsure. As MC mentioned there are ways around the genuine check if you don't want to legalize your system, but discussing details of those does indeed break rules here (and what kind of mod would break their own rules). If you want to get legal you'll probably either need to get ahold of a genuine cd key if you have the cash or try to contact microsoft and see how they handle such situations.

If you system won't update and all that stuff, then just wait till Vista comes out then contact Microsoft and they will probably send you a new CD with aa new key for XP. I have 4 computers but one of them crashed and the CD was broken so I contacted Windows and told them about my situation and told them I was running a small network and just needed Win 98 for one of my machines and they sent me an new Win 98 CD for $35.00 and it took about three days.

Edited by Houdini (see edit history)

Ahh, okay. Well it at least sounds like Microsoft will work with me, and maybe give me a break for being stupid! I'll let ya' know what they say...
//Captain.Jerry/

Best of luck to you! MS is usually very nice when it comes to "accidently" using a non-genuine version and you didn't know. I'd imagine they'd send you a new license which would be valid. I don't think they would need to send you a CD though. You can easily change the license for the machine.

[N]F

Best of luck to you! MS is usually very nice when it comes to "accidentally" using a non-genuine version and you didn't know. I'd imagine they'd send you a new license which would be valid. I don't think they would need to send you a CD though. You can easily change the license for the machine.
[N]F

Thanks for the luck. I found a place to write to them. So we'll see what happens. Yeah, I think I remember reading on a Kim Komando Tip of the Day, about changing your Product Key without having to do a reinstall... I'll have to hunt that eMail down somewhere in my Gmail...

//Captain.Jerry/
Edited by Captain Jerry (see edit history)

Mmm I wouldn't be too sure about that, normally they tell you to go and buy a new cd no if's and's or but's about it. I suppose there might be an occasion where you come across someone who actually cares to help you out.But I guess that's the same with many different businesses, you get ones that are rude and won't do bugger all for you and then you sometimes get ones that do their best at helping you out.Let's just hope you get a hold of someone who can be bothered to help you out lol.

I got this problem too, about a week ago windows update installed a genuine check thing and it stuffed it all up, I bought windows but the strange thing is that the genuine notification disappeared after a reboot, I could still use windows update and the genuine downloads, looks like some strange bug in the genuine software checker.Also do you think firewalls (Both OS and internet firewalls) could be blocking or garbleing the signal so that the checker thinks you have an illegal copy? I think that might be the case but i'm not too sure.That was the first time i've ever seen the genuine windows notification-HellFire

I didn't even download it, most of the updates are useless in my eyes and i'd rather not have their piece of software with a rather contradictory user license agreement (if it's the right application that I'm thinking of atleast).But yeah not much else you can do besides hoping for someone nice and usefull to answer the phone or just fork out.

I got this problem too, about a week ago windows update installed a genuine check thing and it stuffed it all up, I bought windows but the strange thing is that the genuine notification disappeared after a reboot, I could still use windows update and the genuine downloads, looks like some strange bug in the genuine software checker.Also do you think firewalls (Both OS and Internet firewalls) could be blocking or garbling the signal so that the checker thinks you have an illegal copy?
I think that might be the case but I'm not too sure.
That was the first time I've ever seen the genuine windows notification

-HellFire

I'm not sure if a Firewall could cause a glitch like this or not, I would guess not, but ya' never REALLY know what goes on in "the box!"

I did get an automated response that they (Microsoft) got my e-mail message. Just waiting for a response now. I figure I'll give them 2 weeks, and then either limp along on my "bad" copy of Windows until Vista comes out, or I'll use Linux for the time being!

Yeah, I would say that most patches from Microsoft are either bogus, or just don't apply to your particular system. I don't think I really knew what it was when Microsoft said I had to have it ~ Live and learn ay?

//Captain.Jerry/

I got the same problem i bought a HP pavilion computer after i while i putted new RAM and a videocard in it now it wont accept my OEM license key they just force u 2 call them if u are lucky they wont let u wait 10 min's on the line :/

I had the Genuine Windows thing happen on my computer without my doing. I don't have automatic updates, but when I went to update one thing, it ran it. I knew i was legit (well at least pretty positive, just got computer re-vamped).But one thing I would say about M$. They will probably be more likely to help you out then let illegal copies of their software running around. They'll probably charge you a smaller amount then the new version, but their in it for the money. But thats just my opinion.

From what I've heard from my friends dad, who works for HP, he said that Microsoft is actually being pretty lenient towards getting a new copy of windows.In some situations they are providing legit CD keys by mail I think.Even if they don't approve for you to get a CD key they are offering Windows XP at discount prices to those who have been notified about having a pirated copy.But in my personal opinion I have a feeling that they really want to make it hard to do any of this and would rather people go out and buy a new copy, because thats just the way they do things.

Mmm I wouldn't be too sure about that, normally they tell you to go and buy a new cd no if's and's or but's about it.

M$ still has a heart for people... well, their data at least. They've actually changed their Genuine checker root kit thing... it now calls home less frequently and it is more of an "option" to download it. It would be dumb to say, "The OS you've been using for 2 years now is a pirated copy. Here, re-install with this disk and by the way, it erases your previous installation completely including all data."

Also, any of the software that's for "Genuine copies of Windows" can easily be downloaded from places outside of Microsoft (like I've seen a million places where you can get Windows Media Player 11, a Genuine Only download).

The Genuine thing is just asking for another law suit against them. Personally, I don't like my Windows system to be spied on from home.. bad enough when I tell it DO NOT download & install updates without permission, it downloads Microsoft's "really critical" updates & installs without permission and so I find my laptop rebooting unexpectly... I thought "DO NOT" applied to ALL updates.. guess it only applies to the ones Microsoft wants it to...

[N]F