xisto Community
doctor

Photoshop: Teach Me How To Repair Old Photos how can we do?

With Photoshop you can correct anything from color quality and tonal range to altering the composition and sharpening the overall quality of your picture. By following these basic steps you can make improvements to your picture: - Make sure that yor scan quality is best for your images use. - The image should be cropped to the size you intend it to be when it is finished. - Adjust the contrast and tonal range of your picture. - Alter or remove any color contrasts. - Work on specific parts of your image to enhance highlights, middle tones, shadows and desaturated colors. - And sharpen the focus of your image overall.

If your photos are ripped, put them together with some space between them and scan them. Then, you can remove the white parts and put the pieces together.Since old photos lose a lot of their details, you may have to fake some of the lost information. You can copy a pattern from one part of the picture to another with the Healing Tool and the Patch Tool. When you adjust the color levels, do it by section by section so that the picture won't be too dark at some parts or too bright on other parts.It'd be great if you had a more specific question, though... These are just some general guidelines.

Upload one of your old photos that needs to be retouched/repaired and I'll repair them for ya, and make a tutorial also, posted here, how I did it, so you can easily replicate it later on other photos...

What exactly needs to be changed ?

make a list of the problems in the picture. This could be elements you'd like removed (or replaced), color adjustments, lighting adjustments ...

You can then seek a tutorial for each of these problems. A great portal for photoshop tutorials is http://www.good-tutorials.com/ , however at the moment it seems to be down so I can't hand you a few of them relevant to your case right now.

To the left you'll find a bar with categories such as photo retouching.

Could you describe your problem to us for us to help you. Photoshop is a great program to revitalize a picture and even make it look better. But certain photos might be a challenge to fix, depending on its condition.Some of the many different ways you can fix a photo is through its filters, and image editing options in the tool bar.

For my photos, I usually use the clone tool along with the healing brush for faces, and sometimes the dust and scratches filter. Works rather well actually. I'll see if I can make a tutorial as well. :(

Really bad photo problem

Photoshop: Teach Me How To Repair Old Photos

Replying to finaldesign

Finaldesign...

You said that you would be willing to demonstrate the repair of a damaged photo. I have what I think is a really tough problem, especially for someone who is not an artist: a photo that has been partially defaced with a colored marker (partially transparent). Repair would be easy enough if the marks were very small, but in this case the offending color covers a substantial portion of the portrait. If you can give me some clues about an effective approach to this I would be enormously grateful. Sorry...I don't know how to upload the file to this site. Can you tell me how to do that also? Thanks.

-reply by Lowell

In the case of restoring old photos, the two best tools for the job are the clone tool, and the healing brush. The clone tool is good for fixing big blotches of solid areas or patterns, while the healing brush can smooth out those little blips or blotches that can occur. (it's also good for removing pimples from portraits).When restoring old photographs, you want to scan them in at a very high resolution, because the more pixels you have to work with, the better. I'd say 300-600 dpi would be good, You can always shrink, but you really loose quality if you try making a smaller picture bigger.Then read up on how to use the healing brush to eliminate scratches and rips and folds. Grayscaling and adjusting the white levels also helps if you need contrast.

Would appreciate your HELP

Photoshop: Teach Me How To Repair Old Photos

Replying to finaldesign

Hi. I am a retired person who has been trying to fix a photo of my wife when she was young without much success. I would appreciate if you could please help me. I am able to repair the photo with Adobe Photoshop CS2 upto a point, but the photo ends up very blotchy and blury particularly the face. Obviously, I am doing something wrong. Can you please help me with a simple procedure. I would like to send you a copy of the original photo, but unfortunately I do not have your email address. Can I please trouble you for your email address so that I can send you a copy for your assistance. Ps. I do other repairs, colour black and which photos etc without any trouble. Hope you can help me,

Emmanuel

-reply by Emmanuel

ADMIN REPLY

==================

Hello Emmanuel,

I request you to sign-up at our forums and you can send the pic to the members of our forums who are eager to help privately.

Regards,

Shree

Upload one of your old photos that needs to be retouched/repaired and I'll repair them for ya, and make a tutorial also, posted here, how I did it, so you can easily replicate it later on other photos...

I have a pic that has been ripped several times. Can you still fix this? Please write back and let me know.

I would appreciate your help.Photoshop: Teach Me How To Repair Old PhotosHi, I have a photo which was originally approximately 1.5 x 2 ins in size, but I increased the photo to 5 x 7 ins. This photo has a severe blotches all over like water got onto the photo, and also has several scratches. I managed to repair/remove all the scratches but I do not know how to repair or remove the blotches all over the photo. Could anyone please email me a simple procedure as to how I can fix this photo will be much appreciated. I would like to email you a copy of this photo, but I do not have your email address. My email address is happyjoy.87@bigpond.ComHope to hear from someone who may be able to help me.Thank you for your time,Emmanuel-reply by Emmanuel

repairing an old photoPhotoshop: Teach Me How To Repair Old Photos

Hi there,

I have an old photo needing repair. I'm new to this & learning. It's a man in a black tux with a black background, very old, very poor shape. Can it be fixed? any improvment would be great.

Thanks in advance

Feel free to e-mail me direct : abeatlsfan@aol.Com

Tony

I have an old photo needing repair. I'm new to this & learning. It's a man in a black tux with a black background, very old, very poor shape. Can it be fixed? any improvment would be great.

Could you put your picture on a picture file server on the net, and post a link to the picture? A lot of people around here would be helpful and would show you what they are able to do in picture repairing.