xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
szupie

Review: Google Sketchup My review of Google SketchUp

I know Google SketchUp has been released for a long time (on the Internet, a week and a half is a long time), but I haven't tried it out until today. I thought it was another confusing-to-use 3d program. But I was wrong. I decided to try it out today because I had to create a model of our new house.

Unlike many programs, the Tip of the Day dialog in SketchUp was actually informative. It showed me the 3-part beginners' tutorial to learn SketchUp. It said the tutorial could be completed in 15 minutes, but I finished in 5 :P. The tutorial was great. It taught me all the basics I needed to know in order to start using the program. Even though it was a little repetitive at times, it guided you through building a whole house. I felt it could have been a little longer to explain the more advanced features, but I guess maybe they don't want it too long and boring.

The controls are much easier to use than other 3d programs like 3DS Max or Blender. That's probably because this was made specially for building houses. When you tried to pull a flat plane into a 3d object, you can line its depth up with other surfaces with just one click. There aren't too many confusing buttons on the Toolbar.

You can add pre-made objects in your model, like trees and people (I haven't figured out how yet ~_~). The color/texture and the shadows are just amazing. I just wish they would assign the Pan function to the right mouse button. It's troublesome to have to select the Pan button every time I want to pan. They've already added rotation to the scroll button, so why don't they do something to the right button?

I think it's a great and easy to use program. If you have any need to create architectural models, go download it!

P.S.: Wow, look at this topic from about 7 months ago. Seems like SketchUp was already pretty well-known long before Google acquired it.

m^e, this should be useful for your project thingy that you was talking about.I just hope that Google Extends or allows the program to be extended. It would be a shame to leave at just simple 3D construct.

There's another cool thing about Google SketchUp: After you're done with your model, you can publish it to Google Earth and let everyone in the world see your house. I don't know how the process works exactly, though... Maybe you can make a giant robot and place it right next to your house so that the CIA would come check it out.

Just gave Sketchup a go and I think that it's great to have a 3D software available that's right for the masses (the masses being myself). First of, it does not spew out the aura of being overly hightech and especially does not seem threatening. At first glance, it reminds one of a paint program, except that it's control functions are mostly 3D related. Now, I've not done any 3Dmodeling myself, so starting up this program for the first time held some aprhensive moments, but then jumping right into the application to try out a few basic models came as fluidly as drawing with a pencil. If you've not tried out 3D modeling before, now is a great time to give it a go with Sketchup. I think I'm going to try and design my dream home - on a different planet.

I've tried a little 3D modeling before wil 3D Studio Max. It was a pretty long time ago, but i enjoyed every single part of it. I designed an entire house with lighting, a garage, some windows (ok i admit, you can't see through them YET (haven't figured out how to do that) and had so much fun making the couch look bouncy. Hopefully, I'll have the time to try out this err...old(?) tool of Google's and see if i still remember a thing or two.

Google sketup is one of the best 3d programs that I have tried. It is not like the professional CAD programs that cost you an arm and a leg. Free is great, and this program is no different!You can also put your 3d drawings into Google Earth and see them from all over the earth. Its lots of fun! Check out Australia have a look at Sydney, theres a couple of good ones.Still, the progream is very easy to use and after a bit of playing around you can work out all the features and toys to play around with. The textures in the new version are great. You can "paint" walls, floors, roofs etc and texture you want. You can even import textures (.jpg files I think) to use in the program.Lots of fun if you want to have a go at 3d CAD drawing.