xisto Community
sandeep1405241520

Data Transfer Between Laptop And Desktop

Hi guys,I have a laptop and i want to transfer some crucial data from the hard disk i have on my desktop. I don't have CD/DVD Writer on my desktop. Please tell me how can I connect the hard disk of my desktop PC to my laptop. I am clueless. Please do give ur suggestions.Regards.

Depending on what you have available these are some of the options:1. If you have a home network setup, you can just transfer the files from the desktop to the laptop through Network Places/Neighborhood.2. If both laptop and desktop have ethernet/network ports available, you can use a crossover cable and create a simple network to transfer files between the two machines.3. You can buy a USB Enclosure drive and mount the desktop's hard drive to use it as an external hard drive. Make sure to get one that mentions 3.5" drives at least - those are for hard drive sizes. They also have those USB to IDE adapters that you can buy instead. These will have no cases for them. You just plug in the hard drive and connect the other end to the laptop's available USB port (preferably USB 2.0 for higher speed).

Well you could also upload this data to your Xisto account since I noticed that you are a hosted member then merely download it all to your laptop. Wouldn't that be much easier than setting up a network even though you should using a crossover to transfer data. But then it is all up to you. If you do choose to upload to your webserver and download to your laptop then just delete the data if desired or leave it as a backup that way no matter what occurs to the desktop or the laptop the data is stored somewhere else all ready for you to use.

I have a laptop and i want to transfer some crucial data from the hard disk i have on my desktop.

How big are your data ? Houdini is right, if your laptop is connected to the Internet, the best way is to put all your files under your Xisto account, and remove them after verification in order to save your account disk space.

Hi guys,I have a laptop and i want to transfer some crucial data from the hard disk i have on my desktop. I don't have CD/DVD Writer on my desktop. Please tell me how can I connect the hard disk of my desktop PC to my laptop. I am clueless.
Please do give ur suggestions.

Regards.

You can probably just use Ip-over-firewire or USB. Last I knew, Windows, Mac, and Linux supported both. Mac, Sony, and many HP laptops (and some desktops) support firewire, although they may call it "IEEE 1394). I use firewire to transfer data all of the time. Note that mac laptops and desktops have a "target mode" where they can be used as an external hard drive.

Wireless (802.11x) is another good way, but it is slow for large transfers (e.g.: I will run a cable for transferring movies, large amounts of music, or big projects).

Yet another way to move files is to use an iPod or similar, or a keychain drive as an external harddrive. You can use MS' Briefcase to sync files to a keychain drive.

I'd personally go with the Ethernet connection route. I'm sure your laptop must come with a Ethernet port and it's highly likely you have the same on your deskop, especially if you connect to the internet (in any way becides using a telephone modem. What you will require is a ethernet cable ( should be about $5 - $10) and you'll need to setup your network (home network).Other than this, I'd suggest you try either Wi-Fi (your computers may already be equipped for this) of or the cheaper Bluetooth connection (two bluetooth USB dongles should cost you no more than $15) and require next to no configuration other than the installation CD. Data-transfer through this should be in the range of 70 KBPS (USB1.0) and about greater than 180 KBPS for USB2.0. currently I'm using a USB 2.0 Bluetooth dongle between my laptop, my girlfiend's laptop and the home computer. It's pretty seamless and it's possible to sare internet connections this way.

Just to clarify, a normal network cable WILL NOT help you if you don't have a router.If it's just a direct connection from your notebook and pc, you need a CROSSOVER cable. It looks generally the same from the outside. Ask the shop people or look at the label.Otherwise consider getting a thumb drive if the data isn't that big. It plugs into your USB port and is very portable and also pretty cheap.

Just to clarify, a normal network cable WILL NOT help you if you don't have a router.
If it's just a direct connection from your notebook and pc, you need a CROSSOVER cable. It looks generally the same from the outside. Ask the shop people or look at the label.

Mostly true. Buy a crossover cable if you need to, but if you have a normal cable lying around, try it. As I said, some cards are auto-sensing now. I have two computers (a Mac laptop and a Sony Vaio) and a router (Airport) right here all of which are auto-sensing: they will work with either type of cable. A crossover cable is safer. A normal cable *might* work. Basically, if you have the wrong kind of cable, you will get an error ("Network Cable Disconnected") and, if you have light on your network port, it will not light with the wrong cable type. You will not blow up your computer or anything, so there is no harm in trying.

Otherwise consider getting a thumb drive if the data isn't that big. It plugs into your USB port and is very portable and also pretty cheap.

If you have usb 2.0 then I would think that the best way for you to transfer your files would be through a memory stick or usb ext. hard drive.If it is sensitive data then I wouldn't really recommend you to transfer it by uploading to internet and then downloading it on the other computer.If you don't have a usb disk drive and don't want to buy one then the only way would be to use a direct cable connection such as ethernet.-- If you have a router then you'll just need to normal ethernet cables and it will be easier with a router for configuration purposes. -- If you don't have a router then you will have to use a crossover ethernet cable and not a normal one. This will however be harder then using a router for the configuration purposes. Also if you have Windows then you can only use it with crossover method with XP Pro and NOT XP Home. I tried it and it didn't work and many other people have failed. Hope this post helps you to decide what to doSaf

I suggest you to buy a external hard disk( transfer big size files ) or USB stick (transfer small size files).External is the best choice but you should make sure your desktop and laptop support the USB2.0 or not!If it just support USB1.1 ! you will feel slower ! So you can buy a usb switch support 2.0 ! The speed becomes more fast. IF your computer is not support USB, you can transfer by network or replace your computer :D

Like I have said in another post somewhere, it is highly reccommeneded to invest in a USB Flash drive, they should only cost about £10-£20 and probably about $15-$25 dollars, and are a brilliant investment.All you really need is 256mb, and it has superb memory space and will last you a lifetime, providing you don't chew the cap off...All the best,The Mafamba Team !!!

How do i transfer data from a laptop that has a blank screen?Data Transfer Between Laptop And Desktop

AM trying to transfer data from a laptops hard disk to a desktop but my laptopsScreen is distorted so I cannot c anything,its completely blank.

Again am also thinking of getting a crossover but I don't knw how its gonna work?help me out.

-question by robert

A external hard drive is always a good idea. Not only can they be used for file transfer, but they can also be a backup hard drive - something every computer user should have. Plus, they are not even that expensive anymore.

Dead computer transfer data to new computerData Transfer Between Laptop And DesktopI have a dead computer the motherboard crashed and it won't turn on. I want to know if I can transfer my old data to a new computer? I have info that I need off of it or is it all lost.-reply by Lindsey