xisto Community
html_man

Firefox Or IE (New Version): Which One Is Better? Which one is better?

Firefox or IE?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been using Opera only now for awhile. It is a great browser. If Opera wasn't around though i would pick IE because it has the tabs just like firefox, and doesn't take anytime at all to startup. I have never been a fan of firefox. It is really over rated. Don't get me wrong it is a great browser, but not THAT good. IE however has some issues that hopefully will get worked out. It has lots of little problems such as when your in google and press back in the image section it goes all the way back to google.com. It makes me very frustrated. Even with that i would always use IE because it is quick to load and is very simple and doesn't have a bunch of stuff i will never use.

Okay I have used the beta of both FireFox and IE, and I have got to say I am very disappointed with IE they have totally murdered the look of it and it looks so ugly I cannot even stand to use it, Firefox on the otherhand looks great by default and if you dont like it you can skin it, on top of that all those juicy plugins, I have no idea what I would do without my gmail notifier built into firefox or fasterfox and the ftp plugin is damn good for being free :D.

I support Firefox! Reasons??? There are so many...neither me nor you can count them and surely...most FireFozx fans will agree.FF is Open source ( do whatever you like to with its code)FF is lighter on memory ( remember FF is completely independent program)FF still protects you from ActiveX by giving out warningsFF can be made to do what you like by using extensionFF can change its looks by themeesFF loads faster than IE.FF can open 20 Tabs in one window and still work faster compared to the [kernel integrated IE]FF has got goole's support and IE has got MS's which one is bigger company???FF is more secure as it is not integrated into kernel.FF is cross platform including linux and BSD...IE aint ( except MAC)FF has a lot other usefult functions such as finding a particulr part of code from a part of webpage (just selct the text /part of webpage, right click and click on view selection source.FF in better coz you can add your own site'sd search engine in its place ... and easiler than IE.FF is just 5 MB and IE is 12.8 MB even though most of IE's functionality is integrated into windowshack some files in FF's profile folder and you can change the functionality...can you do the same with IE?FF has better RSS feed integration.Anyone needs more support and reasons for FF??I ask twice.

if there was no firefox, i will end up using Opera..I am a fan of tabs and before it have appeared, i use opera..time before.. opera is a paid service and i hate the ads thati got stuck with IE..

Hi:Another reason to choose Firefox is that IE works with Windows XP or superior OS, if you still use -as myself- for example Windows 2000 you cant install it.

regards,

Similarly, Firefox works on Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, etc. MS has not updated their Mac version of IE in a very long time and never more than toyed with IE for UNIX. Aside from the fact that I own a Mac, I sometimes have to use Linux or Windows; it is much nicer to have a browser that works the same on all three platforms, including my settings.

Firefox, in its micro version, will even run off of a thumb drive so you can have your browser and settings wherever you go. The only real downside is that Firefix won't let me store my encrypted passwords on a thumbdrive (that I know of) without having all of your settings there. I would like to sync my passwords with the Linux box but still have some different settings if I want to. Oh well, IE does not let you do any of it.

I use both regularly ...As a user, I have both running because I prefer to visit some web sites in onw browser and others, in the other.As a web developer, I use both, to preview projects.My personal preference is Firefox.

Personally I think that firefox is way better than IE7 because IE7 just looks weird and the buttons are in weird places (as shown in the link below) and the only reason why I sometimes use it is for if I'm using Windows Live Mail.

Screenshot

What ways can IE7 be better for web developers?

I would think that Firefox is generally better for web developers just because of the various development-related Firefox plugins. Firefox is also much better for developers who do not use Windows (I use Mac and Linux myself) and therefore could not develop with IE if they wanted to. Of course, it is always good to have IE around for testing. I have used Virtual PC/Windows/IE in the past just for testing purposes. I have found that even when developing on Windows with IE, it is better to test in a virtual machine just to avoid crashing your desktop and development environment if you (or IE) do something stupid. Use the real IE on your desktop for help viewing and the virtual one for testing. If IE crashes, your help is still available.

I wouldn't agree on this one. It's Internet Explorer that always misinterprets the code. You really can't say that IE's code understanding is good, because it isn't. For example (not a real problem, just an pointer), you write a CSS file defining a certain border as 2px dashed. And you expect to see a dahsed line. But no - in IE you get a solid line, that is quite probable to be thicker/thinner. Guess that says everything about what I think of IE.

This is so true... As a web developer, I had *terrible* experiences with IE, and that's been like years and years ago.

I did use Netscape until version 4.7, then IE 5, then Opera, and I'm into Firefox since version 1. I'm running version 2.0 for some time and it's much faster, but sometimes memory hog is still an issue. Also I had to update some extensions to make them run in Firefox 2. Opera 9 is pretty good, but some (very) little annoyances (like how it Ctrl+tabs for example) and the lack of extensions made me keep Firefox as primary Browser, tough I still have to test sites in all three for better compatibility (IEView rocks).

Anyway testing things in IE was painful since the beginning. Table (hehe yeah those times tables ruled the galaxy) borders... argh! Then I started to use CSS when it first began... nothing really worked ok. I hope IE 7 gets any better in web standards compliance, because making different sites (or at least styles, scripts or graphics) for different browsers is something we had a decade ago...

Firefox is absolutely better.I use both, because some sites i'm surfing everyday needs IE to get a correct page. I think many pages are still involved into IE, but in a near future, I think firefox will be the best and most known web browser.Now i use Firefox 2.0 Beta 2. It's kinda cool, new design and some new useful features like if you have a lot tabs in one browser, you can just click one button and there will come a list of your opened pages. Every tab has a fixed minimum length, so there are buttons to scroll between those tabs, if there are many tabs.Why to talk, download Firefox 2.0 Beta 2 and enjoy :) no bugs, no crashes (well at least i haven't found any). You can get it from download.com . It's free of course :)