xisto Community
elder

Best Database Software For Dental Office Menagement?

I'm a dental surgeon and work in a dental office in Israel. We have in Israel three major dental office menagement softwares. None of them is suficiant enough and some of them realy suck. The price of the softwares is very high and you get almost nothing for this price. Two of the programs are ACESS based and the other is FIREBIRD DB based.

I've decided to create my own program. When it is perfect, I'll maybe sell it. I have no knowledge with databases and never even seen one. I'm a fast learner and weeling to learn from scratch.

I have some requierments from the software:

1. Light weight - the program shouldnt' overload and put pressure on the clients computer.

2. As little mouse clicks as possible - the dentist that works with the software should easly navigate between windows.

3. complients to all OS (XP, MAc, Linux etc.)

The program must contain:

1. Patients database which includes their address and medical records

2. Dentists database - if more than one doctor works in the clinic, all doctors should work with the program smuthly.

3. Calendar database with all the appointments of the patients and doctors. There should be some web interface for patients to schedule their appointments online.

4. Inventory database - which automaticaly updates wuth every treatment that patients undergoes.

5. Treatment database - which treatment did the patient undergo.

6. option to SMS patient and remind him of his schedualed appointment.

7. option to syncronize calendar with PDA.

And here comes the question: Which database is most reccomended fro creating such software?

MySQL? Oracle? Ms-SQL? Firebird? or maybe I don't need a database program at all?

please give me your honest opinion

I worked at one time for an endodontist and this is the program that we started with: Dental Software

It is still relatively inexpensive ($99USD) and includes the source code so it is easy to modify. The program is based on MS-Access but could easily be converted to another database system if you desired.

I don't know what changes have been done to the software in the past 4 years or so but I did have to modify it significantly for the practice that I worked at. I added several other tables to the database and was creating an online appointment interface when I changed jobs.

If you don't have experience with databases, it may be easier for you to modify this program than to start out with nothing. You will be able to easily see how the different table and screen interfaces are created and inter-relate.

If you want to have an online interface for your patients to make their own appointments I would suggest converting it to MySql as it is an easy interface to learn and there is a lot of free support available online.

Remember this: You can have cheap, fast, and good. Pick two.

Here is the simple truth about databases and the task your looking for: any major Database is going to do the job pretty well. The key is finding the software package you need that will fit your needs, not the database it runs on. Now if the software has the option between different databases, then there are some questions to ask like: Can I get tech support for Access or *SQL easier? Will I ever have more than 100k people through my office(s)? Etc.

I glanced over the program the other poster recommended, and it looks like it will fit most of your needs, however one big problem: it's designed for use in the United States.

How is that a problem? Well Accounting and tax laws in the United States is not the same as in Israel. The other possible problem is that the program is written in English and I doubt it has support for Hebrew. Also possible problems with the way phone numbers are inputed, addresses and postal codes, etc..

As far as a system that meets all your demands...if you want that your going to have to hire a programmer or custom software company and have them code something for you. Especially if you want it to work in any enviroment. It will either have to be JAVA based or a web-based system hosted on an Intranet-server. Both are quite doable.

Now if your willing to stick with Windows, then the problem becomes easier to solve because there are just more business programs written for windows. Likewise, you decide on OSX, then you can find something or have something developed for that platform.

Now where to look:

Frankly, you may have better luck with searching through European software offerings rather than American. Especially for SMS support because we don't use it in the States. Therefore, most software packages don't have it. Also, ask other dentists you know. They have to use something. And then if they all hate what they are using, contact me and I'm sure I can put a team together to create something. Sounds like to me that there is a need to be filled. (yeah, that's the International Business degree talking)

Some sites to look at

https://www.dentisoft.com/ - US site

http://www.science.co.il/Electronics-Companies.asp - Israeli electronics companies/software companies.

http://linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Medicine-HOWTO-2.html - list of Linux based applications (some including web-based solutions that any platform could use)

As far as database is concerned I would suggest SQLite for better general performance and less bloat.It has been awhile since I have checked up on what they have been up to so I can't really say what Operating Systems it supports but a quick google search on "SQLite" should hopefully give you all the information you need.And as stated above if you stick to Windows you will have alot less trouble on your hands and many options too boot.

I'm sorry but I think you've misunderstood the whole idea. I'm like a composer who has a song in his head and wants to give it to the world but doesn't know how to write notes.

I have a pretty good idea how the software for the dental office should look like and all I need is the right tools to maek it happen. I need to learn the notes - I want to learn myself DB and use it.

- I'm not interested in purchesing another software for dental office
- I'm not interested in migrating or improving excisiting softare.
- I'm not interested in paying to another programmer to do the job.

ALL I NEED - is to decide which DB system is the best one for executing my ideas. When I now which sys tem is the most recommended i'll start learning ow to work with it = I'll write the notes myself.

BTW - since almost everyone uses PC and XP over here - I think i'll stick to windows.

Remember this: You can have cheap, fast, and good. Pick two.Here is the simple truth about databases and the task your looking for: any major Database is going to do the job pretty well. The key is finding the software package you need that will fit your needs, not the database it runs on. Now if the software has the option between different databases, then there are some questions to ask like: Can I get tech support for Access or *SQL easier? Will I ever have more than 100k people through my office(s)? Etc.

I glanced over the program the other poster recommended, and it looks like it will fit most of your needs, however one big problem: it's designed for use in the United States.

How is that a problem? Well Accounting and tax laws in the United States is not the same as in Israel. The other possible problem is that the program is written in English and I doubt it has support for Hebrew. Also possible problems with the way phone numbers are inputed, addresses and postal codes, etc..

As far as a system that meets all your demands...if you want that your going to have to hire a programmer or custom software company and have them code something for you. Especially if you want it to work in any enviroment. It will either have to be JAVA based or a web-based system hosted on an Intranet-server. Both are quite doable.

Now if your willing to stick with Windows, then the problem becomes easier to solve because there are just more business programs written for windows. Likewise, you decide on OSX, then you can find something or have something developed for that platform.

Now where to look:

Frankly, you may have better luck with searching through European software offerings rather than American. Especially for SMS support because we don't use it in the States. Therefore, most software packages don't have it. Also, ask other dentists you know. They have to use something. And then if they all hate what they are using, contact me and I'm sure I can put a team together to create something. Sounds like to me that there is a need to be filled. (yeah, that's the International Business degree talking)

Some sites to look at

https://www.dentisoft.com/ - US site

http://www.science.co.il/Electronics-Companies.asp - Israeli electronics companies/software companies.

http://linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Medicine-HOWTO-2.html - list of Linux based applications (some including web-based solutions that any platform could use)

I believe there is no reason why you should not look for a free or free alternative to what you require, in fact it's a smart idea business wise if you can find what you need.If majority of the target users are using a Windows based machine then yes it's much easier for you and probably much easier for them in the long run and short.I have a question though, what is the preffered way for the user to access the information? You could easily learn php and mysql and have it setup on the target machine and have it web based although that might not bewhat your'e looking for.Other then that I can only think of turning to programming to solve your problem which is far more difficult but is obviously gives alot more freedom.As far as the whole "less clicks as possible" thing go's that is entirely up to you, assuming you are the one writing the software.

MS Access would be my first choice. It comes with a large set of tools to create a custom program from within the application. If you need more customization, then you can get a few books on Visual Basic, which is the language of choice for writing business applications. The last version VB I used was VB6 about 5 years ago and was able to do a lot of things using VB in conjuction with Access 2000. (For the record, since that time I've moved to working in an *iux enviroment [bSD server side, OSX workstation] with Perl, PHP, MySQL and PostgreSQL)Again, your likely to find more people with Access experience than any other database system. Someday any system you create is going to have to be used and supported. Anyone that takes an Office Application class has at least exposure to Access. Here in the states, Access classes are widely (and cheaply) available through junior/community colleges and there are a number of companies that offer more costly training programs. Likewise, Visual Basic can be found at many tech school/community colleges that offer night classes. In fact I learned VB in college. Took it as my Comp Sci 101 class required for my business degree. I got to take it in place of the normal "how to use Office" since I had been an Office beta tester and written a couple Excel macros back in the High School days. (yeah big computer nerd back then...not quite as much today)At first I would try creating something around the Tools built in to Access and if you can get what you want there: learn VB.Net (or whatever the latest version is these days)

If I choose to use MySQL as my DB - is it possible to create the progrram with VB?

MS Access would be my first choice. It comes with a large set of tools to create a custom program from within the application. If you need more customization, then you can get a few books on Visual Basic, which is the language of choice for writing business applications. The last version VB I used was VB6 about 5 years ago and was able to do a lot of things using VB in conjuction with Access 2000.
(For the record, since that time I've moved to working in an *iux enviroment [bSD server side, OSX workstation] with Perl, PHP, MySQL and PostgreSQL)

Again, your likely to find more people with Access experience than any other database system. Someday any system you create is going to have to be used and supported. Anyone that takes an Office Application class has at least exposure to Access. Here in the states, Access classes are widely (and cheaply) available through junior/community colleges and there are a number of companies that offer more costly training programs.

Likewise, Visual Basic can be found at many tech school/community colleges that offer night classes. In fact I learned VB in college. Took it as my Comp Sci 101 class required for my business degree. I got to take it in place of the normal "how to use Office" since I had been an Office beta tester and written a couple Excel macros back in the High School days. (yeah big computer nerd back then...not quite as much today)

At first I would try creating something around the Tools built in to Access and if you can get what you want there: learn VB.Net (or whatever the latest version is these days)

Just remember if you use Visual Basic that your clients will need the VB6 Runtime package.Borland Delphi is almost as easy to learn as Visual Basic and does not need any accompanied runtime package unless you choose to use one to reduce your executables size.There are many addons so to speak for Delphi that will allow you to interface with MySQL and other database software. If you decide to give Delphi or VB a go I or others here can recommend some learning and resources and sites to help find what you are looking for (e.g. components for accessing MySQL and information on using them).Oh and just so you know, both Visual Basic and Delphi have form designers, basically letting you *drag n drop* the look and basic functionality of your GUI which helps save development time.

I want to learn myself DB and use it.

I'm afraid you are mixing two different think.The database is in charge of keeping the data. Most of the database systems behave the same way.
the requirements you are talking about are not database requirement : they are application level requirement. You first need to write down the dental application program (probably in C++ or in Java), and ask your program to put the data inside the database.
Most of the work will be done at the application program designing, coding, and testing. then, there are almost no differences when addressing to mysql or postgre or Informix or Oracle.

Sqlite it's a nice option, it's a light and fast database management system ideal for small application that have to work in local. If you're going to write your program from the first line of code.. well I guess you have to learn the basic of some language.. Java it's a good choice, c# also its' very simple (although not free or portable) and pratical on windows.. If you have the opportunity to install and try visual basic consider of trying Ironspeed designer, it's a very easy to use application that can do the design work of an application over a database that you create (on access or other), I reccomand it.Bye!

Or the equally simple Delphi which applications can be compiled stand alone, removing the need for users to have a run time library installed.

Isn't delphi compiler not so cheap? Very easy to use but not so affordable.. I guess..