xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sarah81

Download DVD Movies Legally (not really worth the price)

Movie fans can finally purchase legal downloads. Movielink, a company that used to specialize in downloaded rental movies, will now let you purchase movies and download them to your computer.

But, most people aren't going to bother until Movielink and the other involved parties (Sony studios being just one of them) perfect the system.

1. The downloads cost pretty much the same as if you walk into Best Buy and purchase a copy of the movie on DVD. No, really. Expect to pay between $10-30 depending on the age and popularity of the film you're buying online.

2. Downloads WON'T work in your DVD player. Forget takng your newly-purchased film on a road trip, popping it into the home-entertainment system for family movie night, etc. But you *can* put the file on up to three computers, and burn a non-playing copy as a backup in case your system(s) crash and destroy your data.

3. The files won't work on Mac computers. Or Linux. Or pre-Win2000 systems. Some people think that Apple will work out its own agreement with studios, but that could take a while. In the meantime ... keep buying DVDs.

I'm sure that plenty of people will gladly use the service, but I'd rather buy the DVD version.

I agree, although the idea is good and have potential, but I rather buy the actual DVDs being that it comes in a nice case and is created from good DVD quality. Plus if your computer crashes or has a virus, all those movies that were bought digitally would be wiped out and your hard earned money to buy those movies would have been to waste. And like many out there, if the "option" is to download a movie, there are many programs out there that would allow you to download it. This idea might also lead to another problem, with the piracy out of hand, one person could easily oddly release the DL online and movies could lose millions of dollars more than they already are now.

Well, it is possible to make it work on your DVD players. It's just like making home videos: You need to have the correct DVD burner and the correct player. If they're compatible, you can convert your video file into DVD format. I just don't know how.How can they limit how many copies you make? Do they put some sort of protection code on the file? 1337 hackers could easily get past those codes if that's what MovieLink's doing (I'm not one of them).How's the quality of the movies? If they want to keep the download size low, they'd have to compress the movie a lot.

guess i'm still a bit old fashioned about all this.. can't imagine watching a movie in the configuration i got set up here.. i need a couch, something to put my feet on.. etc etc watching my expensive download on a computer monitor just ain't the same thing.. so untill they make it possible to burn the movies it's not a possibility for me...

guess i'm still a bit old fashioned about all this.. can't imagine watching a movie in the configuration i got set up here.. i need a couch, something to put my feet on.. etc etc watching my expensive download on a computer monitor just ain't the same thing.. so untill they make it possible to burn the movies it's not a possibility for me...

Pretty much. If I can't stretch out on the couch and watch a film on a decently-sized TV screen, I'm not going to bother.

Although one *can* connect the computer to the TV, if one has that capability, to watch the movie.
But that doesn't solve the problem of wanting to take a DVD on the road in the minivan, or to a friend's house for movie night, or whatever else.

Yeah, I'll just go to Best Buy or Amazon and get the regular release version.