xisto Community
evion

A Free Graphic Design Program That Could Equal Photoshop?

The Gimp is comparable to photoshop ^^it just lacks one or two things but for a free program it's worth it. When you think about photoshop being like a thousand bucks it's a rip off!! i have it but using gimp for alot of things.

I don't think GIMP quite compares to photoshop. Photoshop is simply an incredibly complex and powerful program, and you notice it when you have to pay for it. i think it's overpriced, at least for home use they should knock a good 400 or 500 off the price, that would make it a more viable option, and if they want to go on charging companies and design studios 800 or 1000 or more, well then that would be reasonable. though if you CAN afford it, i would recommend it. Here's another idea: keep using the trial version, and just go through the registry every month and change the date so that it thinks you're only on the first day of your trial. I don't think THAT is illegal, is it? Maybe a gray area, but not banned. :D

Photoshop is a very powerful tool. The only problem i have with it, is how it renders text. The AA imlpements they added helps a bit, but Illustrator has great rendering due to its vector base. I also use Fireworks MX, hit has the ability to work with animated Gifs and visually help you compress images. I mainly use it to compress my images i need for web use. Lots of option to lower file size and visually give you an idea on when it will look like before exporting it.

GIMP is the only free graphics design sofware that I know of,which will compare to Adobe Photoshop.GIMP can't beat Adobe Photoshop but is well worth getting,though it does clutter your desktop alot...

Photoshop is a very powerful tool. The only problem i have with it, is how it renders text. The AA imlpements they added helps a bit, but Illustrator has great rendering due to its vector base. I also use Fireworks MX, hit has the ability to work with animated Gifs and visually help you compress images. I mainly use it to compress my images i need for web use. Lots of option to lower file size and visually give you an idea on when it will look like before exporting it.

True, I concede that Photoshop is weak on its text base. Definitely Illustrator is much more powerful for that. I also use it now, used to do text-rich layouts in Photoshop and would end up with a couple hundred meg file. But with Illustrator i can do the same thing and have a 300k file. Definitely a worthwhile program.

If what you really want is free I'd go with GIMP. It's a versatile little program that's really as good as Photoshopâsometimes it's even better! I use it myself, usually in tandem with another graphics software like Photoshop. Once you learn to use it, especially after browsing through the wide array of tutorials and guides on GIMPguru.org, you'll may find that it's perfect graphics software for you.

Personally I'd go in with the recomendation to use GIMP. First of all, it's free. The great part is that it's features are very much similar to using Photoshop (although you may miss a few of the neat cropping features that are available on Photoshop untill you figure out the equivalent on GIMP). Most features are readily available on 'right click' as well as through shortcuts, so you won't really have to go about mucking about looking for feature. Install the help files (available sepeerately from the site) and it'll quickly set you on the right path to most of your queries.

Hi, I agree with The Gimp, A few months ago i started to use it and i like it very much, is a very good software, configurable in many ways, with lots of add-ons and of course IT IS FREE.Best regards,

Gimp is great, it's free, and if you're a photoshop user or just don't like Gimps interface, I reccomend using GimpShop, heres the unofficial site https://www.gimpshop.com/opensource/
it's easier to download from here then the official site =P

yeah, i just try it and my first impression is that its interface is more friendly than the gimp.

regards,

Go with Gimp. It's the only one that even comes close and i think you can use it on linux too i'm not sure. It has most of the very basic features and some advanced ones that you'll find in photoshop so it's a good alternative. The interface looks somewhat similar too so you won't need to relearn where everything is.-HellFire

I have Gimp and it's really confusing. But then I'm very simple and un-technical. Any suggestions for simpeler equivilents?

If you can get over with the initial confusion gimp will turn out to be a good choice. Its user interface is not the most intuitive one.
The best is to get an introduction from a gimp user; if not from one of those training videos.

I have Gimp and it's really confusing. But then I'm very simple and un-technical. Any suggestions for simpeler equivilents?