xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AdityaKar

Clock Hanging In The Air Levitating Clocks

Posted Image

It seems to be magic when you see this clock hanging in the air with no support. But its the magnetic force which plays a major role. Just plug the base (which has to be bought alongwith the clock) and adjust the clock in between until there is a beep indicating the right place.

The levitating clock uses the magnetic force to float an LCD clock inside a funny looking base. It also features an auto-rotate mechanism to spin objects clockwise, or counter-clockwise (as well as the clock you can buy an optional floating space shuttle).

I think this is probably best used as a cool executive desk toy rather than an alarm clock, as I can imagine sleepy fingers moving the clock a bit too much when going for that snooze button (then again the crashing noise may really wake you up).

:o
It is available at Think Geek.

-----Copied from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/-----szupie Edited by szupie (see edit history)

It's nice, but probably very expensive, and there is no use of this gadget. I mean, sure, it's a clock, but do you really need this. It's OK if you have a lot of money, but if you don't, it's a waste of cash.

It's nice, but probably very expensive, and there is no use of this gadget. I mean, sure, it's a clock, but do you really need this. It's OK if you have a lot of money, but if you don't, it's a waste of cash.

Yuppie food. heh.

I like magnetic equilibrium and all, but I bet it costs way more than it needs to. If it costed like 10 bucks I'd buy it though. I'm suprised the magnetism doesn't mess up the screen.

No doubt its way too expensive but then its just for showing off ur geekiness to ur friends.. :o

Yuppie food. heh. I like magnetic equilibrium and all, but I bet it costs way more than it needs to. If it costed like 10 bucks I'd buy it though. I'm suprised the magnetism doesn't mess up the screen.

The clock has an LCD screen, magnetism has no effect on it. Magnetic fields only mess up Cathode Ray Tube(CRT) based displays..

Anyway this post was just to make u drool over this gadget for a while and then forget it coz no one's gonna buy it anyway.. So no use discussing it further.. :P

It IS pretty cool and all. I mean magnetism IS a really basic concept of the Earth's technology at the moment and i don't see how this product will help generate any kind of profit at all for the company who made it. These days, most gadgets are made with clocks - Hologram clocks...and yaadayaada. I don't see the point in getting a fancy clock as all i use it is to check the time and slam down the snooze button every morning.

Vash, please read what it says on the site.It states that the the shuttle add-on does NOt include the base for levitating, and in order to levitate the thing, you must buy the base with clock seperately.Total price: $114.98. People should always read the small print!!

What's the point of this though? I mean, it's cool and nifty and all, but what about the price to power it up O_O;; Wouldn't it waste a lot of electricity, and money of course, just to leave it on 24 hours a day?! Sorry, I find it to be an amazing 'toy' and all, but for the common consumer, it's a waste. If I had to rank it in 2 ways it would be :8.5/10 for nice idea5/10 for the ratio of want to price.

Yuppie food. heh.
I like magnetic equilibrium and all, but I bet it costs way more than it needs to. If it costed like 10 bucks I'd buy it though. I'm suprised the magnetism doesn't mess up the screen.

Also if you have magnetic sensitive devices around like floppy disks or maybe a microdrive (used in digital cameras and MP3 players) it could be a very big problem because all data in this devices will be corrupted.
In fact if your computer is very near, their hardisk could be adversely affected too.