xisto Community
anime princess

Freewebs Going Down Hill my reason for switching

Well, I assure you... there are not that many sites like Xisto. I have seen a couple others like Xisto - they are pretty good, except that they have monthly post requirements, etc. Annoying to some extent, but still... good services and great server uptimesHowever there are some ... in the opposite spectrum, like freewebs. Oh my gosh, they're like Geocities and it's horrible. Stupid advertisements that pop up or that get installed without your permission (most of the time... well, almost all the time) and this really ticks people off!!!Hmmm... I just have to say that Xisto is a really good place to stay. Good posting system but sometimes gets on my nerves because I don't have much time to get online - free time is very limited. :P

Well I first started off with http://www.webspawner.com/. They were AWFUL and you couldn't put HTML on your site, I DON'T recommend them!
Freewebs are ok and they did accept html, but as you say they are a large company and an Ad was placed on my site!
Astahist is a closer and nicer community than freewebs and you can communicate with others here.

So stop Freewebs and go to Xisto!

Well i guess I'm a little too lazy to quote :P but in response to the few posts about having webhosts suddenly disappear off the face of the earth, i would VERY like to mention one that i was just about one of the first few members to join. I was a really dedicated poster and kept the posts up and coming. The name of the webhost is called zer0host. At the beginning, it was great. Actually fantastic! They had everything Xisto provides and more space than what Xisto provides, unfortunately, my guess is that this extra space is their downfall. A few days before the server "crashed" and they never put it up again, i experienced lots of problems upload files. I was in contact with one of the moderators of the forum (yeah they have a forum where you have to post to earn a hosting account too) and he told me to not worry, that the server will be back up soon but for me to backup my files just in case. Now i truly thank him for the hint, becuase the next day their website disappeared. Just point blank gone. At first thought i hovered over the idea of me typing the wrong domain name which is impossible because I've been with them for 2 months, how could i type it wrong? No worries, i Google searched zer0host. It worked, and the link to the site on Google is still there but the site cannot be accessed. Everything was gone 'cept for everything i backed up. I was really disappointed because zer0host was growing into a really large community. I think their other problem was unecessary sign ups. You needed hmm...i think it was 50 or 100 posts before you get a hosting account. After that you can basically stop posting. Xisto did this before too, and suddenly you find people with 10 posts just hanging there. So our wonderful Asta admins came up with the hosting credits idea. I don't mind it one bit, but i really thought zer0host could've survived more if it had adopted the hosting credits idea earlier. There was also alot of spam in the board with only 1 or 2 mods who really bothered to clear it. Even some topics opened with words like "hi" in them which is already 1 post. The problem hereis that the admins and mods don't approve the accounts one by one. Once you get a 100 posts who go to the IPB store and get a key which you use to open up an account in their server. I thought it was pretty interesting but what the heck...now its gone.A month till then, i found Xisto and started posting here. Remarkably, i found Xisto quite similar to zer0host's beginning structure and (sorry to say this but) i had some doubts about Xisto too in the first place. Nonetheless, i found the environment quite refreshing and there's a huge variety of topics to post in. And unlike zer0host, Xisto is an "extension" of a paid hosting site which pretty much means that Xisto is being run by a true company dedicated to providing web hosting. My instincts proved right and Xisto has lasted extraordinarily well all the way, and i am sure Xisto will be there all the way.

About a month ago i created a freewebs account to display some virtual pets i had adopted. All was going good. I was impressed with the service. No ads, No downtime, etc.About a week ago a large sponsered by google thing appeared at the top of every page and it was **Really** large and in some really god awful colors. Still i didn't mind...
then the other day there were pop up and pop under ads...
Ick... it was then that i began looking for another server
Today my website grew too large for free webs they limit you to 20 pages
So today i decided to try to get an account here.
I almost have enough points saved up now
I think this site looks great and can't wait to give it a shot!

I felt freewebs about a year ago they suck and the service is not good going to try here when i get enought points

Astahost is the best i have every found.When you take a look at all the services and CPANEL, it looks like its a paid hosting service, with everything professionally done.But its not paid, its free.I'm hosted with Xisto right now and I can tell you all its worth it. It truly is like having a paid service.The forums thing they have going is a great idea. I've gotten a lot of questions answered about my programming and stuff.

Im a person who keeps on seking for newer and better things...........I had tried some of the free hosts but they put a add on your pages that makes it ugly.......Out of which geocities.com is one of the worst..... I hanst been a long time since I joined AstahostWhen I first saw Xisto comment in website reviews I wasnt too much Impressed .I also dint liked posting on forums but now I like the forums & postings Im not planing to host my site now Ill spend some time on forums( may be 1-2 months) then only Ill start over.....The forums r really very helpful ,where you get your doubts clearified in less than a day from expert webmasters........

Heh heh freewebs has been around for quite some time but in my opinion they have been going downhill for a long... long... time. I see they have finally added *some* features they had planned for who knows how long but they have restricted things aswell.

Yes, I agree completely. FreeWebs is going downhill.

I remember joining FreeWebs when there was no ads, banner or otherwise. Worked wonders for my layout. I signed up a few days before they started employing the "This site is maintained for free at FreeWebs. Get your own free website now!" text banner policy. This didn't bother me much, however, as it was just one line of text that you had to put at the bottom of your pages. No harm done at all. I could live with it.

But recently, they added this huge banner ad at the top which screwed up my entire layout...badly. This happened a few days before I went and checked on my website, I believe.

However, I did notice that some websites have the large banner ad while others do not (such as my friends). What's up with that?

To be honest, I gave up on FreeWebs after I learned that you could only upload 50 files at max, which really turned me off. Creates a huge problem for those that have a gallery of sorts (and this was before I knew of Photobucket and the like).

And did you see how much hosting a domain name with them is? Nearly $30 a year. That's asking way too much if you ask me.

Edited by mpinsky (see edit history)

I completely agree with you, Anime. I used Freewebs for two to three years, and I thought it was GREAT because of it being free, I didn't care at all about the adds. But now, after seeing Xisto, FreeWebs is HISTORY for me. As soon as I have the points, I'm transferring all of my info onto my site hosted off here. Its too bad that freewebs users have never heard of Xisto, hopefully, sometime they will!Maxfelgar.

The only free host I've used in the past was Geocities. But I agree with many here... It was Terrible. Now that I've been hosted here for awhile and am getting to know my way around the CPanel, I see that Geocities is Nothing in comparison. Xisto is great. I love the forums. I would post here even if it wasn't required! I think it's great that Asta can offer so many services for free. Must cost them a fortune! But for the most part there is awsome community involvment here, which I would think the Admins would like to see. I know I won't be switching, I'm not even going to look elsewhere. Well, at least for now, Xisto has everything I need. Maybe in the future I might have to have more space. I don't know what Asta's paid hosting offers, but if it comes down to a space issue, I will check there first.

Yup I certainly can't complain about the services offered here and nor the community at all. Both seem very well intact and quite mature. Freewebs was all the rage back in the day but lack of things such as support for PHP really brought it down. And as I said before, many services basically promised years ago have only recently been implemented and now all this rubbish with huge ads and what not, it just doesn't cut it really.Plus the capacity has gotten smaller, file size upload limit isn't very good and I think you have a limit on pages as well as files in general as mentioned above.

I think Yahoo!'s Geocities is one of those really low quality sites. I mean PageBuilder and SiteWizard and those software are great, but hey, really... those sites can't really... function, you know?

Agreed. I seriously disliked Geocities. The ads...they just never disappear. Angelfire and Tripod are just as bad though.

Back to Freewebs. I used it at one point because several friends recommened it as "good". At first everything was going fine, until I discovered they had a page limit (20 files), so I had to find a different webhost. This is probably the saddest aspect of their hosting--I mean, only 20 files? That's near nothing.

As for the ads aspect of their hosting, I think Freewebs implements the whole "you start out with a no ads website, and then after two or so weeks if you don't pay for the hosting, you get ads". The interesting thing is though, that I didn't have ads at all on my Freewebs page. (I only have one page there, and it redirects to a different host because of the file limit). I wonder if they put ads only on the well-known pages (as mine isn't visited all that much anymore).

I also didn't like the uploader in Freewebs either--you could only upload one file at a time (although I believe at one point they offered multiple file uploading, but then it was gone and they wanted to charge a fee) and the uploader tended to crash a lot. (the white page of doom)

I also didn't enjoy the fact that you had to put up a link back to Freewebs--though that is much better than the ads.

The Credit system is cool. Earn credits for diff. Formats cool.gif

Yeah, I like this idea. Especially since I find the forums pretty interesting. :(And people need to learn how to post better at forums...:3 Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

About a month ago i created a freewebs account to display some virtual pets i had adopted. All was going good. I was impressed with the service. No ads, No downtime, etc.About a week ago a large sponsered by google thing appeared at the top of every page and it was **Really** large and in some really god awful colors. Still i didn't mind...
then the other day there were pop up and pop under ads...
Ick... it was then that i began looking for another server
Today my website grew too large for free webs they limit you to 20 pages
So today i decided to try to get an account here.
I almost have enough points saved up now
I think this site looks great and can't wait to give it a shot!

Yeah, Freewebs was good, but then something happened lol. I had a site on there but they don't let you make over like 30 pages. And lately it has not been working. So now I'm trying to get enough posts and points to get hosted here. I'm also impressed with the service here. It seems like a really good deal :)What I really like about it is that it uses FTP instead of those pagebuilder things. And also Freewebs doesn't allow Cutenews or Wordpress.
Edited by Teddy bear collector (see edit history)

Ha freewebs.. who needs them when they have Xisto? you're limited to like 5 pages and something around 1mb plus don't forget all that advertising they put on your pages. If it was my choice i'd choose to post every now and then on the Xisto forums to get quality hosting not some totally free sign up and forget about your account hosting.I used to use freewebs along time ago and i'll admit it was alright for what i needed to do. I'll never switch back to freewebs though.-HellFire