xisto Community
jedipi

Grub Error After Reinstalled Winxp

I have Windows XP and Fedora 4 installed in my PC.Grub is the boot loader.Today, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.After the installation finished, I boot into fedora 4 with rescue disk.then.. chroot, grub-install /dev/hda,reboot.but I could not boot into the system.It just show me this, grub>There is no option for me to choose. (It uses to have a list.)Then I fdis /mbr,root (hd0,0), set(hd0)yes, the grub menu is back.But cannot boot into both system (windows xp and Fedora 4)fc4: invalid compressed format (err=1)xp:disk error ,press any key to restartany idea how to fix this problem??Thank you.

usually, you do the following :1) Install MS-Windows.2) Install Linux3) Do not touch anything more.Now, you have mbr problem. When I have this kind of problem on my multiboot Windows/mandrake, I do the following.1) boot on a dos floppy disk, and do- fdisk /mbr - reboot on the floppy disk- fdisk, set the first partition active.2) boot on the Linux install CD, and choose "multi-boot setup", this re-configures lilo (because I prefer Lilo), it should work the same way with Grub.If this works fine with Mandrake, it should also work with Fedora.Hope this helped.Yordan

It would have been benifical if you posted your grub.conf aka menu.lst. Aslo fdisk -p /dev/hda (assuming its hda ) would be helpful too.I am not sure about it , but it couldbe that Windows rewrote your partition layout. Your / may not be at the hdax or (hdx,y) which you are specifying on the grub.

I am not sure about it , but it couldbe that Windows rewrote

I'm pretty sure Windows rewrites the master boot record. The game's goal is precisely how to re-create a mbr record. Mandrake's boot disk recreates it quite alone with lilo, the game gare is helping Fedora managing grub.

Actually reinstalling Grub can be quite the pain... getting it to work afterwards that is.I usually follow what yordan said in his 1st post, and what I'd suggest (giving you have your /home in a seperate partition - believe me, it's worth it) is to actually give Fedora a clean install and then as root replace the home directory. Once saved all my projects when I screwed up my Ubuntu installation. :o

pop the Fedora Core 4 disc back, type rescue, and I think it'll work. I haven't used Fedora for @ least 2 years since SuSE Linux makes life easier.It can reinstall GRUB for you graphically so I don't need to bother (since I don't have the time to)xboxrulz

I still can fix this problem by reinstalling grub under linux rescue mode.
So i decided to use other way, install Grub for Dos.
I found it here http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
My linux system can be booted through BOOT.INI of Windows XP now.

i think, easily you change the active bootable disk to your linux root disk, then you reinstall your windows and it will take the booting of linux, always i do that, in steps:1- log to your linux system cd.2- from partationing step choose to change your bootable flag to your root partation on linux.3- reboot and reinstall windows.4- welcome it works :o

I have Windows XP and Fedora 4 installed in my PC.Grub is the boot loader.

Today, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.
After the installation finished, I boot into fedora 4 with rescue disk.
then.. chroot, grub-install /dev/hda,
reboot.
but I could not boot into the system.
It just show me this, grub>
There is no option for me to choose. (It uses to have a list.)

Then I fdis /mbr,
root (hd0,0), set(hd0)

yes, the grub menu is back.
But cannot boot into both system (windows xp and Fedora 4)

fc4: invalid compressed format (err=1)
xp:disk error ,press any key to restart

any idea how to fix this problem??
Thank you.

Its quite often problem occurrs,

There are onliy few steps to come over the problem

1. Put the CD of Windows 98 in your CD ROM Drive

2. Boot from the CD-Rom

3. go to the CD-ROM's Win 98 folder

by typing

(a) cd your drive letter:
(;) cd win98

4. the last step you hav to do is type the following command as

fdisk /mbr

It will install the windows BOOT LOADER again

5. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del

6. Remove your Windows 98 Cd

7. your Window will start with no error on that.

Have a nice Day

I had a similar issue: I changed my HDD to 320 GB on PII computer. Very nice but the bios was able to see only 60 GB. Anyway I agreed to scarifice the remaining 260 GB ;) and try to make a dual boot computer by firstly install windows and then FC5 (before installation I did a partition for windows (with fdisk) primari 5GB and extended 25. Well after installing Windows I installed FC5 but although the grub was showing both OS's my windows was not working. I didn;t dig more in the issue...I just continued using FC5 alone...