xisto Community
XIII

Which Is The Best BBS ?

paid options are the best, but because I'm dirt poor right now, I just use IPB 1.3.1 because I downloaded it back in the old days... lol

[N]F

Hi, i would like to ask you to share this version of IPB if that could happen with me, i don't care if it will be old version or new one, i just want a good BB, i'm using SMF right now though it's good, i don't feel like it, i would like to try IPB, if that will be available, plz share it with me, just drop me some words to the e-mail address in my signature right down, that one at gmail.com.

Thanks

I would definitely recommend Quicksilver Forums. It is rated one of the fastest forum software in the world, it's much faster than IPB2/PHPBB2.

It's so easy to add extension since it's like how operating system works.

Plus, it's easily skinnable.

Furthermore, it's GPL'ed and free forever.

xboxrulz

Hi, i would like to ask you to share this version of IPB

I don't think you should use 1.3.1, because it's not as safe as 2.x.x versions. Of course, it's not easy to crack as phpBB, but you better stick with SMF until you get enough money to buy ipb.

I just got my-slef of IPB, I finished setting it up (Its on hosted on Xisto). Now I want to add a shout box just similiar to Xisto's shoutbox, also if anyone could help me out in the credit system Xisto uses to reward members for their post. Please help me on these to topics.

I just got my-slef of IPB, I finished setting it up (Its on hosted on Xisto). Now I want to add a shout box just similiar to Xisto's shoutbox, also if anyone could help me out in the credit system Xisto uses to reward members for their post. Please help me on these to topics.

The Shoutbox here is called D2-Shoutbox and is one of the standard IPB Mods (modifications) released by D-Scripting and can be downloaded here: http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/5359 along with detailed installation instructions. For IPB 2.1.x it's been renamed to D21-Shoutbox. Be prepared to do some messy code editing though. And before you perform any of the edits, make sure you've backed-up the file you're editing - else it can crash your whole board.

As for the Credits System, it has been told repeatedly earlier on - that it's a unique in-house creation by OpaQue - our founder, and is not available in the public domain as people can easily study the script and find ways to defeat the credits allocation here. This script is something that you'll have to create yourself - or search around for Points Script on HotScripts.Com and based on that extend the functionality.

Actually speaking, I dont want such a complicated program. May be a very, very, very simple script, it would be ok. Something close to it will also be ok. (I am talking about the crediting system). And thanx for that shoutbox script. Really I am not going to code anuthing, after reading what you said, I dont my entire board go down just because of the shoutbox.

Dont take my crediting system request as a spam, if you cant help me with direct script, please give a link to someother software equivalent to the one Xisto is using (atleast close to it). I will not post anymore on this topic if you consider it as a spam.

Thanks anyway.

Thanks anyway, I dont need any help now, I found all the scripts on Invisionize.com, including the points script and the shoutbox. There are also other very good mods for your forums like "Contact System" which will allow board members to email the admin for complains.

The points script is called Xtreme Point System and there are other crediting systems too. But for downloading these scripts you need to register.

Forget SMF, I have even cracked IPB. Talking about finiding it on the net, its a piece of cake. (I dont think I am allowed to talk abt, crack, warez... I might as well stop right here). I like using phpBB even though I know it can be cracked very easily, the one thing I like with phpBB is that its sleak looks that no other BBS can offer and its user friendly administration pannel. I would like mention one more thing, -- you should never use phpBB for any serious stuff. If it is just for personal, then go ahead with phpBB.

In this post you are the one, you even crack into IPB, CooooooooL

In this post you can't even install a software you are guru at, like you can break into windows while you can't even set it up :D, also CoooooooL

as i told ya in another post, you are a newbie, never try to annoy us by shouting everywhere about hacking, cracking and so on please.

Ganesh, you should take the time to make sure what you are putting is actually what you are thinking, as m^e and I believe that you put something that you didn't mean. We believe you meant you have FOUND a cracked version of IPB on the internet, and that it was easy getting it.However, bare this in mind, anyone USING a cracked version of IPB risks being sued by Invision Board IPS Inc, because believe it or not, they find out which sites are running non-licensed versions of their software. They probably use bots to search, although their exacting methods, I am unaware of.Astahost's crediting system was developed by OpaQue (founder/owner/administrator). It is a very 'smart' system, the likes I have not seen before. Asking questions on the credits system's back-end isn't classed as spam. However, if your questions have been answered and you repeatedly ask them, then we will class it as spam.phpBB is a very unstable and security flawed system. They release patches on an almost regular basis, hence proving that there are many security issues just waiting to be blown open. I do like th administration logic, however when you try out other (paid) BBS you find that whilst PHPBB offers an intuitive ACP, it doesn't have as many features as the likes of IPB.To be truly honest, I am thinking about making my own BBS using XHTML 1.1 Strict and CSS1/2/3 with div tags. Although this is in the long-term, at least I would know what was going on and where.

Ganesh, you should take the time to make sure what you are putting is actually what you are thinking, as m^e and I believe that you put something that you didn't mean. We believe you meant you have FOUND a cracked version of IPB on the internet, and that it was easy getting it.

However, bare this in mind, anyone USING a cracked version of IPB risks being sued by Invision Board IPS Inc, because believe it or not, they find out which sites are running non-licensed versions of their software. They probably use bots to search, although their exacting methods, I am unaware of.

Ok, that is what I really meant. I found a crack kinda stuff and followed the instructions and then I finished *cracking* it. I did not mean that I could break into the database and get username, passwords, etc. out. Okay, I agree the way I had written it up there looked really absurd.

Anyway, IPS does NOT search for nulled or cracked Invision Power Boards as they are just toooo many nulled verions out there, if they were to catch each and every person (ok, if not all) and sue them, they would start to go under loss. It would take years to remove atleast half the percent of the cracked boards. Its like sueing each and every cracked Windows XP/2000 OS user. I even know a shameless hosting company which has a nulled IPB board.

The only company I know who scan for nulled or cracked board is vBulletin. They dont seem to have as many users as Invision Power Board. And it seems that they are really bothered about their profits and losses. :D

And talking about OpaQue is he the founder/owner/administrator of Xisto also? :P

I tried phpBB, vBulletin, Invision Power Board and SMF. Out of all of them I like SMF with YaBB Theme. phpBB has a sick ACP and vBulletin has something more-or-less like phpBB. Invision Power Board is good, but its'nt for free and I hate their updating system. Thats where SMF comes into action, just check out their cool intergrated update feature, you dont need to download anything and install it manually, it does it all by itself and the best part is that it uses the server's (host's) internet connection and speed to download packages, your intenet connection is used only to refresh and load the page. SMF has nearly all the features of IPB if not all. And one more good part of SMF is that its very easy to install mods unlike other boards where you will have to do things manually.

Hey, twitch. Good luck with your new BBS project which I think you will be starting soon or have already started. Count me in if you want to test your board. I have installed BBSs number of times and there is no harm in tring it once more.

Cheers,

Ganesh.

Actually Ganesh, there must be some way that IPB find cracked versions, because I have come across such an instance when a member was contacted by IPS demanding they pay for a license or remove the board. So bollocks to that theory of yours.Every company is really bothered about their losses in profit. If they weren't, they wouldn't be a company for long. dolt.OpaQue is the owner/founder/admin of XISTO (or so I believe), therefore the owner of Xisto - Web Hosting/Xisto.net/Xisto.com/AstahostAnd as for the Cracked version of IPB, I gather you got IPB, found a cracking tutorial, cracked it, then installed it???Anyway, whatever the outcome may be, anyone using CRACKED or OTHER-WISE ILLEGAL USAGE of web-software, e.g. IPB, I think should be banned PERMANENTLY.

Anyway, whatever the outcome may be, anyone using CRACKED or OTHER-WISE ILLEGAL USAGE of web-software, e.g. IPB, I think should be banned PERMANENTLY.

Are you joking or are you serious?

If you are joking its ok.

If not (I really dont want to start flames here) I think its my problem that I am using a cracked version of IPB and it should'nt bother anyone else. If anytime anyone gets irritated with my usage of cracked version of IPB they should go and give a complaint at IPS and not throw them or ban them from forums PERMANENTLY.

Yes you are 100% correct about IPS finding cracked versions of their software, but there is something you should know. Cracked version means you are less likely to get caught. I mean when you are cracking the web-software you are actually disabling its feature to comunicate with IPS, which also means that you CANNOT receive intergrated updates.
This is one and the most important way which IPS uses to get cracked versions of IPB, they have a system in the IPB which mails them about the condition of the board. There IPS can find out if you are using a cracked/nulled version of IPB or not. This is help full when you have a nulled edition and not a cracked edition. Nulled means that you have illegaly got a copy of the web-software, cracked means you have cracked the nulled version of IPB.

Note: IPB stands for Invision Power Boards
IPS stands for Invision Power Services.

Either way Ganesh, it is still illegal and immoral. Unless IPS suddenly state that IPB is OpenSource and free (under GPL) then I think they should be given the money they deserve for creating such software. Can you imagine working at Google and being told, sorry we're using a nullified/craked version of this company, so we are so sorry, but you're not getting any money.I was being half joking/half serious. People who use cracked/illegal versions of web-software within the hosting service of Xisto should be made either to remove their software or find hosting elsewhere. Some people give the host a bad name, just because the domain where it is found contains something bad.

SMF is a great free solution. For paid, I highly suggest IPB. Though the price tag is a little steep, it is well worth the investment.Just stay away from phpBB... I've never seen so many security holes in a single piece of software (excluding Windows, of course). I could probably hack a phpBB and I know some other people who could probably do it too. It has way too many exploits and SQL injections and the whatnot. phpBB should be banned.. I don't understand how people like it.[N]F

SMF is the best Forum system in my opinion (yeah its been a while since ive posted :P). SMF is currently stable as 1.0 and 1.1 is going stable very soon. If you haven't tried SMF I highly recomend you do, its no longer a young system. We now have a ton of mods and themes. Security track record is excellent. Development is continuing on the next version of SMF, the one after 1.1 with things like a moderation center and custom profile fileds in by default. Someone mentioned SMF was removing their data, id like to hear more about this as SMF has never been reported to ever have deleted anything before. IPB are starting to bloat up on a lot of junk and spreading over a few more products. vB ive just never liked. SMF is the way to go. Any questions about it and ill answer them. :D

As nightfox said, phpBB has a huge number of security issues, even the newer versions. What's more, you don't have to be a professional cracker to crack it - an ordinary Google search can do it for you. Anyhow, a friend of mine that was just getting into forum stuff installed phpBB version 2.something. In order to show him how it was a bad idea, a just played with the admin panel a bit :D So he switched to IPB and hasn't had any problems since then. It has happened a few times that something was wrong with the _posts table, but a simple repair fixed it.As for SMF, one of the main things that put me off was the forum creation system, or, to be more precise, assigning permissions. IPB is much more easy to use when it comes to that.