xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mayank

Do You Hate Internet Explorer? Show Your Support, this is called FLING IE

I still use IE, but I use firefox as well. Tabbed browsing is great, and I prefer firefox. I guess I use IE out of habit. I'm beginning to dislike IE though. IE 7 is introducing an authenticating mechanism to use IE 7. Which is fine for some like windows, but authenticating a web browser. I like both, but recently I've been trying to use firefox more, especially in web development. Javascript errors are easier to correct in firefox, and all the extensions available are just great. IE7 looks like it's going to have tab browsing and pretty much everything that firefox has. We'll just have to see if it brings anything else to the table.

I can say I hate internet explorer just about as much as I hate Microsoft. I'm a firefox guy all the way...the tabs......the themes......the plugins....the winamp attachement.......man I'm salivating on myself just thinking about it. I love Mozilla Firefox!!!! And I don't get so many pop-ups or anything.....I don't think I've seen a pop-up since i downloaded firefox...as a matter of fact if you don't have it you need to go get it right now....NOW!!!! Go get it....and love it.

I hate IE so much! I try to tell everyone I know about its flaws and about other browsers and y they should switch but they wont listen! Ive given them proof tht it sux horribly and they still like it more than other browsers! They think the IE display is the right display and tht microsoft is invincible and couldn't make anything wrong... They think the security is good if it is windows.(they are very dumb) Ive almost got one person to switch to firefox but he sed, he was so used to IE and wut it shows and bad security, tht he thinks he'll never understand any other browsers... even firefox. I told him he could read the manual and he just ignored me. Everyone around me worships microsoft...By the way, IE will never be like firefox no matter what microsoft does unless they violate some copyright rules.

Edited by jake658879 (see edit history)

I have a good reason why not to support this one.

There is this theory that those exploiters of bad codes (in any form and any application) try to find and exploit problems (of any kind) in software that is populare and widespread.

Why do you think there are so few viri for Mac & Linux? Just because there aren't a zillion users in the world that are using it.

Another example is FireFox. In the beginning it had no problems, no leaks (or at least no noticable), but when it got populare, it succeeded in having more bugs in a month than IE had :o .

Now, what's my point about this?

a) Let others use IE so that it remains populare and other browsers remain safe (by wich I mean, they are not examinated by the exploiters)

:P Let other have problems with IE so that we could help them solving their problems (working on social life/bragging about computer skills/laughing with other's problems/...).

You get the point I guess, just be a bit selfish :o

Well, I've seen beta of IE, and it's a pure COPY of firefox. So stopIE is probably a good idea. But what to do when all those lame users who don't know anything about windows, microsoft, and mostly firefox, or even internet browsers... will never get to this. We all can try to stop microsofts lame attempts to stay on track with latest browsers, but hey, it's microsoft man! you can just shut off such large and such impactive company. They distribute software all over the world, there would be zilions of computers with preinstalled windows and - IE on them. People who will use it, and don't bother with it while it's working ok. Anyway, it's a pretty useless fight when you already know the result, but it's worth of trying. :o

I agree but we must do something to get a lot or most people to switch off of Internet Explorer. I think we should ask Microsoft to try to make a deal with Mozilla or something, and have firefox and Internet Explorer pre-installed on a windows machine. Sure Internet Explorer would still be the default browser to start with, but eventually, if we keep annoying Microsoft about it, Firefox might become the default web browser on a windows computer. But probably, once that happens, new browsers may come out that exceeds Firefox by far, and the whole thing will start all over again. Anyway, if we got enough people, and maybe support from Mozilla and maybe another large corporation Microsoft trusts to try to get microsoft to break a deal with Mozilla, it might work.

One thing I really hate about IE is sometimes it seems that Internet Explorer secretly downloads something without my knowing or hoping I'm just paranoid or something. Because everytime I uses IE, that's when I always got problems with spywares and adwares. I don't know, maybe just a simple coincidence.Anyway, personally I just don't like IE, I use Firefox.

I've never used anything other than IE. I've only heard of Firefox and Opera, not knowing much about them. I don't know advantages to disadvantages. I've never seemed to have a problem with IE, but from what it sounds like there is alot of spyware involved. What else is wrong with IE that I should know about? If I am going to switch from such a familiar browser, I at least want to know why I am switching. Firefox does seem to be the way everyone is going, so if I do switch I would use that. What does Firefox have thats so special?

When I was a kid I would always use IE and then manage to get alot of spyware on my computer. I then switched to using Firefox and still got some spyware. After trying both of thoose I decided to use Opera and now I don't get anymore spyware. So yes, in short I hate IE and it can burn in hell.

Truth is, I don't hate IE, but I sure as heck dislike it. I only have IE 5 on my computer, and Microsoft won't let me install IE 6 (because of administrative privileges, apparently), so I had to install Firefox in order to satisfy my needs on certain websites that required IE 6 or higher. Of course, FF has been really useful--especially the tabs feature. And I haven't gotten any spyware at all, another good notion. After a certain amount of time of using FF, though, it suddenly started getting very slow and using up a lot of memory. I got slightly annoyed and downloaded Opera. Opera was fast and didn't use that much memory, so I stuck with it for a while. However, when I discovered Opera's find feature, I suddenly switched back to FF because Opera's find feature annoyed me a lot. To fix the memory problem, I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, and then redownloaded all my extensions, which apparently fixed the problem.So, in short, yes I do dislike IE, but I wouldn't mind supporting either Firefox or Opera. Both are better choices than IE. :unsure:

Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

I know that most people who use IE just don't care. Many barely know the difference if you show them, just that it looks different.I don't mind IE too much, but I can see that it pales in comparison to Firefox. I love tabs, because IE hogs up space in the window bar (and probably the CPU) by opening an entirely new program. YAY firefox.Even that awful Linux one is better than IE... what was it called? Konquest I think. Ech.

I prefer IE7 to any version Firefox thus far.While the Firefox tabbed browsing interface had me hooked, along with the whole multiplatform open source gig - I found a few minor problems with it that eventually (when IE7 was released) pushed me away.For one - I run multiple computers, and I'm not rich. Some computers are less than 1ghz - and speed is as always an issue (I don't like waiting). Firefox so sluggishly decides to load on these machines it made me gag.Perhaps if you've got speed to waste, firefox is cool - although if you know what you're doing as much as the Spread Firefox campaign will have you think you do about browsing, you wouldn't allow the spyware to enter your computer in the first place, let alone install toolbars and all sorts of useless crap.Basically, without trying to sound like a paid employee of Microsoft (whom I both dislike, yet deal with out of necessity) - Microsoft made the operating system. Their programs are optimised for windows. Firefox introduces a minor level of abstraction with all their XPCOM and whatnot. I'm not going to get directly into the coding conventions (as Microsoft's is sealed anyways), but I tend to have more faith in a rich, powerhouse (although greedy and sinful) company with more employees than members of my city who are being paid to assure their work is both solid and updated on schedule.By the way, have you ever run Windows Update from Firefox (correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't get it to go... if it's possible... it doesn't seem simple).Internet Explorer doesn't cost. However, the only angle on not using Internet Explorer may come from alternate browsers being available - I could say it's a catch-22, but this is a ramble by now anyhow!A few things that locked me back into MS-Products:IE7 has tabbed browsing, a search bar to which google or any other popular site can be quickly registered, and even a "safe mode" in case someone else (of course it wasn't you) obtained spyware.Feel free to argue with me, but Internet Explorer hasn't failed me yet (besides a crap support for transparent .png's - but that would be arguing against myself now wouldn't it) - and it's quick startup and speed is especially noticeable when I click a menu in a program before I realise it will have to open a browser window.That's my view...

Well, yeah.. IE7 is much better than IE6, I liked it myself, but not to much and I don't think a lot of people will move to it so fast and besides it is a beta version and is a browser for Windows Vista to which it will take time to move.. Remember how much time it took that people moved to XP? A lot of whom were still using Windows 2000, the same will be with Vista.. Anyway..If you have a "slow" computer and I really believe you that Firefox is slow when loading/starting, but so is IE7, as I read IE6 is two times faster.. so did you ever try Opera? It has all the features you want and is really much faster when loading and browsing and it is free. Only Internet Explorer can work on Microsoft windows update pages, firefox doesn't work, it wasn't created for that.

Yeah the firefox comment was thrown in very last minute - however - it was more to show that regardless of your hatred for internet explorer - it's very hard to avoid if you're using a microsoft system.I perhaps didn't mention the whole story as my conjecture was aimed at the trendiness of firefox. Although I've uninstalled firefox on my main system, it is an integral part - as should be other browsers such as netscape and opera, and the billions of others sharing the market - for testing web compatibility.I would hold true my view of Internet Explorer to any user by whom I am consulted on computer matters. My basic line of reasoning is that internet explorer is easy enough for the basic user and that same user would not be performing web designing tasks.I would also like to add one GUI note about the internet explorer as it pertains to Microsoft's grasp upon its own baby operating system. (If you're a programmer you've been here before - Menu Item Bitmaps? who would have thought to call GetSystemMetrics( long ) twice for the width and height of the check mark, and then create bitmaps in memory for the call to SetMenuItemBitmaps( long, long, long, long ) - of course you have the menu handles. You may have also seen this commonly in non-Microsoft or Multiplatform software, but how are the resources stored? Are they stored in the PE or some external common interface that works across platforms.)Another note:I've always been a fan of detachable toolbars and menubars although I had found it difficult to find information on creating a detachable menubar.After finally reading Microsoft Documentation on Internet Explorer GUI elements, I came across an article outlining a method for creating a rebar with a toolbar without images - to be used for this very effect. In the same way - the development of internet explorer (which would seemingly be one of the most used apps on a computer, although this is not backed by anything - nor would this include above the moderate user) in ways introduced elements to the Windows Operating System in general.The way I see it, Windows XP actually does the tasks I need the best, and straight Out of the Box - in fact, they take pride in their OOBE--This wouldn't be the proper place for a discussion on Operating Systems anyways, since it seems to be assumed we're speaking of Windows and a hatred for Internet Explorer.I still remember when ActiveX controls came out - they bragged and bragged about how you could use an internet explorer toolbar in your own app. Insane.Now there's plenty of hefty ways of achieving this goal - COM - .NET - I'm not going too far here, though I'll return to my point:I have more faith in a platform specific program in terms of speed - crossing platforms tends to call for more abstract interfaces and wrappers... All of which I decline to discuss here, although more layers need present when more variables become unknown.Perhaps my argument wears thin at this point, but my stance remains the same: no, I don't hate internet explorer(although i'm still open to other browsers - and even though i don't hate it, i still may use another browser in the future --- perhaps tomorrow).

Hey freinds why you all are against IE. Is it that you guys don't like IE or you all are not in favour of Microsoft & bill's policy.....If the hatered is something to do with Microsoft policies and the way they do thier bussiness....I too am in support of them...for that matter most of the companies are into the same process...what about HP...do you think they are managing thier business ethically????The way they do thier bussiness will make anyone feel the same for thier products as we all do for IE or windows etc....

So you can prefer another product, that's fine. But that doesn't force you to hate the previous. I use firefox, but don't hate IE. They made some very good improvements from their abandoned version - it's good that other products made them awaken from their slumber.Firefox isn't godlike. I need to use IE regularly for a certain page to download something properly. Sure, means that FF doesn't support all pages and vice versa, but by not using IE at all you're nerfing yourself.