xisto Community
WeaponX

Custom Built PC - No Sound

I tried to figure out what connector is for the sound, but I finally give up. The PC case I bought didn't come with a manual, so I had to go with what I think are the correct cables to plug into the motherboard.

The computer case I'm using is this one.

The motherboard I'm using is this one.

I just want to get sounds from my monitor (built in speakers). I already plugged the red and blue cable from my monitor to the back of the case already. Nothing. Also checked sound volume to be sure...

The manual for the motherboard is found here. I looked at page 17 and 19 which seems to be where a cable should go. Or should I use the jumpers there instead to "activate" sound in the back? It has two jumpers there on pins 5&6 and 9&10. I also see on page 13, mentioning Speaker Connector...

Do I need to connect all those cables from my PC case to the motherboard though? I was thinking that the extra 7 pins (one pin for each of those small cables) for the front panel (case) was only used for the front part (usb, firewire, headphone port, etc.)? So if that's the case, how do I enable the sound feature in this pc? Just in case it's needed, the 7 individual pins from the front panel cables are, as written on each pin, SpeakerOut L, SpeakerOut R, Return L, Return R, Mic In, Mic Bias and Ground.

Thanks.

The sound is onboard right?Describe the mini jack colours arrangement. None of this has anything to do with the motherboard and case connections, however, I believe you have headphone and microphone jack in the front, if so the case connection will most likely connect If it's the standard 3 colour port, green, pink, blue. Then green is your speaker output and pink is your microphone line-in.In some cases, considering this is a 5.1 channel, your software will need to be used to configure it. In which you'll make alterations to allow having more speakers, e.g. front and rears. You may also need to configure Window's Sound to make sure it's using either 2.1 channel or whatever arrangement your speaker setup is.The red (darker more brownish?) plug from your monitor sounds strange, I'm thinking this plug goes back into the monitor/speaker and another cord should come out that has a green end. What is your monitor? If that ain't the case, then this plug goes into the green port of your sound card and from there you must configure via the OS, make sure you install the drivers that came with your motherboard from the CD and the software for controlling your sound card and then work from there.Cheers,MC

You should just leave pins 5,6 and 9,10 shorted with the jumpers according to the manual for the rear connectors. Di the motherboard come with an install disk that includes the drivers needed for the sound that is on board? If so you need to run the software and set the sound card up before it will run, I think the only exception would be the PC speaker which only beeps anyway and then only if you hook it up.Check your software to install the drivers for your motherboard. And if you don;t have any try downloading it from the internet fro the manufactures web site.

Is there no sound at all or no sound from a CD/DVD drive? If there is no sound at all, that is usually a sound card driver problem or hardware releated (the card doesn't work). More than less likely, driver issue. If your not getting sound from a CD-Rom drive (or DVD-ROM) then the cable link from the CD drive to the sound card is not physically connected. Either you don't have the speaker wire connected to the correct mini jack (try switching around see if you get output) or there is something funky with the soundcard drivers.

I will put the two jumpers back...Everything seems to work fine except for the sound. I installed all the chipset and sound drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard. Yes, the sound is built-in to the board.I want to use the speakers on my monitor only (nothing fancy :)). The board does have 5.1 support...but I don't need it. Any sound is good now :P@unimatrix: nope, no sound at all (not just from CD). I know there's a cable I need to connect from the drive to the motherboard for that. I'm sure I know where to connect that after reading through the whole manual...just need to find out what's wrong with my sound overall.I looked at the back of the case and it has a Pink/Red, Blue and Green port. My monitor cable only has a Blue cable and a Red/Brown colored cable. I connected them accordingly before and didn't get any sound.@mastercomputers: So should I plug in the Red cable to the Green port since I don't have that port? I will try this out tonight or tomorrow to see if it works. Leave the blue one in the blue port though right?Thanks.

This is just a possibility, and that is that the speakers in the monitor are themselves bad, or perhaps plugged into the wrong connector. Do you have a set of speakers that you know works from another computer, if so plug them in and if they work, then you will have found that the real issue is the monitors speakers,

What is your monitor?How many speakers do you know of are built in? If it's just a left and right, then I assume it's also got a built in microphone?Is the red/brown cable from which side of the monitor when looking straight on it. If's it on one side, I believe it's suppose to go to the other side of the monitor or even at on the back near the monitor power or connection cable.I would try plugging the blue into the green. Also make sure digital output is turned off in Volume Control/Sounds. Make sure there's no headphones in any of the jacks eithers, unless you're testing the headphones first.Also use the software that is for your sound to test it and configure it.Pink is for microphone.Black is usually rear output speakersGreen is usually the main/front speakersBlue never used it before, maybe it's part of the digital output too.Yellow digital output.Your monitor cables I'm assuming don't correspond with the standard colours of the sound card. I know I've come across red plugs, yellow plugs and pink plugs on a monitor not sure of the blue, but it's been too long since I encountered one and without physically seeing it, I can't tell whether it's a speaker/microphone or just a joiner.Cheers,MC

I had a Monitor and I think it was a Toshiba and it had a mic built in and the colors on it didn't make any sense either I just kept swapping different plugs where I thought the audio out should be till it started playing the windows default error sound and left that alone then messed around til I got the mic working, the worst that can happen is it wont work.

Sorry for the delay...but I tried it out the same day I posted my last reply and it worked. I did what mastercomputers said and plugged the other cord (even though it was blue) into the green port on the new PC. Sound is great now.Thanks.