xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
HellFire121

Firefox 2.0 Alpha Coming Soon!

It's only the alpha version (scheduled for release on Feb 10th), and it doesn't have all the features they'll add in the final version. The final version is scheduled to come during summer, so it'll be a long time before we can get all the features and security stuff in the next version. Here's what they're planning on doing with the Firefox 2. It's still just a draft, so don't think this is what they will stick to from the beginning to the end.

Great news...

I hope it consumes less more memory that previous versions.

according to mozillazine, the upcoming 1.5.0.1 release will

fixes 2 memory related bugs.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=354828

1064336857[/snapback]

I really hate to say this, but coding for memory usage is a lost art these days. I can remember running early PC's with 64k of RAM out of memory with a large enough spreadsheet. Back when each line of code being coded correctly meant the difference between running and "Out of memory". Of course not such an issue anymore in the days of 512MB standard and many getting 1GB+ of Ram with their systems these days. Sometimes I wish people would look at right better code to run more with less, but like everything, we seem to want to consume more and more...

Personally, I'll wait for a Beta version they release FF 2 final. Right now I mainly use Safari unless I come to page that Safari 2 really goofs on. There are a few.

Holy cow, I can't believe this!! Wow, Firefox 2.0... :) It makes me smile and say, "Woah, the best web browser (well, apart from many uncomfortabilities) is going to get even better!" But anyway, it has to get some codes from Internet Explorer 6.0 because I can't run web-based applications from Firefox... many many applications!!For example, Korean web community software, like Cyworld and Maplestory.

Nice to see firefox getting updated. For an open source browser its really nice and fast too. I really prefer it over IE anyday just because i can multitask better on firefox.

I agree with the group thought that this is indeed a good thing. Personally I'm ahppy with firefox as it is so I'm not going to be dieing with anticipation over this, but its good to know some major work is being done on it.