xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hercco

Looking For A Java IDE

Hello, I am a java and jsp programmer. I tried most of the editors especially for the web programming (Eclipse, JCreater, Netbeans,Borland Jbuilder, ....). But when you are using servlets for web programming it is not different then normal java programming. And you will use robust java code to create web pages. So i thinkmy experiments about trying to find a good editor for web programming can be as useful as for java programming.Eclipse * * * *: The best free editor for java. You can feel like you are using a professional software. And could do most of the things easily. But learning it is a bit diffucult and have some weird problems. Borland JBuilder * *: I dont understand why people are using it. Delphi was their best programming editor. And i tried to use JBuilder for java because the success of Delphi. But after a few minutes i decided to not use it again (3 years ago).Oracle JDeveoper * * * *: I think it is better than Eclipse. But it's last stable version doesn't support latest technologies.It's beta version has a lof of bugs, and you can't use it for a long time comfortable.Intellij IDEA * * * * *: My favorite IDEA ("develop with pleasure"). When i am using it to write java code i feel like i am using an intelligent editor. It makes most of the thing to use and write easier. Setting panels is very professional and beaituful. Sometimes if i dont write some code with this editor i miss it. It's interface is very wonderful for me because i dont familiar to see nice graphics in java programs or editors.When you are writing code it is very diffucult to write false code. Because it has lots of sweet warnings and guides to write the best code.If you just wanna write some simple code and dont want to use advanced features of editors then i will suggest to use JCreator. Maybe there are better editors then JCreator for small programs. But i haven't searched editors for small programs.And an advice for new programmers: Don't use editors auto-complete feature until you become familiar with java language. Because if you have a weak memory like me , you will forget most of the codes if you use auto-complete.Sincerly,

Well I am only in high school so none my applications are "big" as you would say.So JCreator suits my needs, and I recommend JCreator as an IDE to anyone who is starting out in learning Java.JCreator makes small programs extremely simple to code, compile, and execute.

I took a few classes in high school and we used BlueJ primarily. It has a nice UML display that shows the relationship between your classes, interfaces, enums etc. I really like it and it gets the job done. It does not have code-completion (like intellisense), as Eclipse does, but I really like the UML design feature.I have been using Eclipse recently at home, but the installation is way too big to take with me. I have been working off a usb-drive, and BlueJ is only about 4.5 mb installed, so if you need to take your work with you and you don't want to install an IDE, this is the way to go. Eclipse is better in some respects because it has code completion and a bunch of other cool tools, but if you want a simple IDE, go with BlueJ.

My first Java IDE was SyncJEdit. Good, simple, what I needed. But there are some features that should be there that aren't (i.e. Ctrl+A should select all), and some bugs (why doesn't Ctrl+C copy the first time?), so I switched to NetBeans. It's good, I just wish you could just have a Java file as opposed to a whole project if you're just doing a small, quick thing.

I like Eclipse and BlueJ.Eclipse offers a smörgåsbord of features and is really powerful. It does take up a bit of memory and sometimes takes a little bit to load the first time you run it after booting up windows, but that is to be expected from a Java-based IDE.BlueJ is a simple IDE which doesn't have nearly the feature count as Eclipse, but it does have UML diagrams. The diagrams are good for seeing the correlation between classes, showing inheritance, dependence, etc. I used this during my first Java class and it worked well, and then I switched to the more powerful Eclipse.NetBeans is another option, but I haven't played with it much.TextPad is a text editing software that has some basic Java compiling and running functionality, if you want really basic, but a step up from command line.

I'd recomend using NetBeans IDE 5.5, it is a free professional Java IDE. It also has extra addon packages that will add support to more features like AJAX.

Seems, Eclipse is the best and the most popular open-source IDE today.(it is used not only for Java projects, but also for PHP).The idea of creating new view perspectives with new plug-ins is very cool!!!I worked also with many commercial tools, including IDEA Intellij, JBilder, CodeCharge Studio. They provide some additional wizards and views. For example, CodeCharge Studio provides an infrastructure for creating active Web pages (JSP) over co-named codecharge.jar, wich is not open-source...But we have to keep in mind, there are some commercial solutions with the same functionality, provided by MyEclipse. These plugins are commercial, but they support open-source technologies like Struts, Spring, Seam etc.

I just wanted to add another vote for Eclipse. I've been programming in Java for about 5 years, I've tried a lot of IDEs, and its easily the best one I've used. I use it for most development I do now, thanks to all of the great plugins available for it.

But, for beginners, I'd recommend Dr.Java. Its lightweight and simple to use, but isn't nearly as powerful as Eclipse. I used it in a 1st year Java course in my CS program, which is a good place for it.

I've used both NetBeans and Eclipse. I pick NetBeans over Eclipse due to its exceptional functionality and support. It solves all of your java needs with professional quality for no cost whatsoever.

When you first open it up, it looks a bit scary. It takes some time to figure out, but it's worth stumbling around for a bit.

I really like the Web feature. Once installed it auto set up my Tomcat directories just like it wants it. You know how picky Tomcat can be. Anyway say goodbye to re-compiling servlets and moving their class files into the correct directory with any edit you make, all of that is taken care of for you by NetBeans. You can write and test your jsp's and servlets on the fly.

There are several IDEs on the market, but Eclipse and NetBeans are open source and so this is my choice In comparison to Eclipse from NetBeans is that NetBean is really platform independent. That means you can use the same files for windows and Linux. But that’s not all: all platforms has the same support (unlike Eclipse). Talking about NetBeans 6.1 NetBeans is easy to install and to use. There are several download-bundles so that you don’t need to go into the plugin hell, like in other IDEs. Simply download the Java bundle and get the rest later through the plugin manager. The NetBeans folks offer even a version for php development, where you can debug the code. I think the most important feature of all IDEs is code completion(After all this is the reason we use an IDE). In NetBeans you can do this via CTRL+SPACE. This will complete a variable, class or method name for you. I can accept that there are a lot more plugins for Eclipse than NetBeans at the moment. But the NetBeans community has some really cool plugins. If you didn’t download the full bundle you can add the plugins easily. And they will work, I never failed to install a plugin. In Eclipse this was not always true. Well I think that with this I had make my point that NetBeans 6.1 is a very good IDE, and why I prefered over Eclipse. Greetings, Shotgun. ------------- OS:Windows Vista Ultimate Sp1 MD:Asus P5N-E CPU:2.40GHz/Intel Quad Core Q6600 RAM:Corsair Dual Channel 4GB 800Mhz VC:XFX GeForce 9800 GTX/512MB

I recommend you use Eclipse. More than likely, your university will also recommend Eclipse. For me, I use Eclipse because I can use it to program other languages as well. Also, my professor will post homework and projects online in a CVS repository so that makes it easy to download and submit the project as well.