xisto Community
finaldesign1405241487

Linux Running On iPod And guess what? You can run Doom on iPod

Hello all!

I just want to share this enthusiasm I have, when I yesterday discovered this stuff. Did you know that you can actually install linux to your iPod and run different kind's of applications... Well, :D, you can!

Now how this stuff all works? Simple, iPods are in fact, a microcomputers, they had everything you need to call them microcomputers, screen, cpu, input device, memory, hdd, and even a sound :D ... Now the guys from ipodlinux.org figured out all that stuff, and using a mini distribution of uClinux they compiled it for iPod. Now, if you don't know anything about linux and how it works, just don't be scared away. And if you hear some scary stories about getting your iPod *bricked* don't worry too much, because it can always be repaired, there are ways for everything... Ok, so here we go.

WARRNING!

I am not responsible for any damage you may done to your iPod or yourself as a result of reading this text. Consider yourself warned while you are reading this! If you don't know what is this, and what you will do to your iPod, please STOP here, and don't try to do it yourself. You might end up with bricked iPod. Ok, now when i warned you, but you didn't scareed and you want to continue, we can move one to next step...

[ What you need to do to get yourself and Linux iPod ]

--> First of all you have to go on http://www.ipodlinux.org/ and read trough stuff. If you understand things you'll be able to figure it out yourself, if you don't understand, keep reading this...

---> Download windows version of Linux installer from here and unpack the zip archive to folder "c:\LinuxInstaller" on your HDD

---> Download latest podzilla software 2006-01-12-podzilla.gz

and and unpack the gunzip archive to folder "c:\Linux-Podzilla" on your HDD. You will need an WinRar software to unpack this archive and also for next step. Get WinRar here

---> Download latest kernel for linux here and unpack the gunzip archive to folder "c:\Linux-kernel" on your HDD.

---> Now, open your folder "c:\Linux-kernel" and rename "YYYY-MM-DD-kernel.bin" to just "linux.bin" and copy it to "c:\LinuxInstaller" folder replacing the old one.

---> Run the windows version of linux installer form folder "c:\LinuxInstaller" (.exe file with icon)

---> Follow the installer, and make a backup when asked, so you can always make uninstall and restore your iPod if something goes wrong... Read detailed instruction for install procedure here. Oh, and you will need to connect your iPod to your PC via Firewire or USB now, before running the installer. When you finish installing eject your iPod and restart it holding the right key combination. Read here for all key combinations.

--> After rebooting to linux, your screen might be too contrasted on iPod, so look for Settings > Contrast and reduce it a bit...

--> Now reboot your ipod to regular Apple software holding keycombination for reset and then when it resets hold REWIND button while iPod is starting to boot, until it boots to Apple original software. Connect it again via cable to your computer. And go to next step.

--> After installing, it's time to update PodZilla. Go to folder "c:\Linux-Podzilla" unpack the file and rename it to just "podzilla" without anything else. Now in same folder create with Notepad txt file and write in this:

mv /hp/podzilla /sbinrm /hp/start
And now rename that txt file to just "start" without anything else. Now, copy these two files ("start" and "podzilla") to root folder of your iPod. If you don't know where the root folder is, it's a top level folder, just like c:\ on your hdd, so for the ipod is usually e:\ or f:\ but depends on your computer setup...

Reboot your ipod now holding the right key combination. Usually is "menu" + "play/pause" buttons together for 5 seconds...

---> You just got yourself and Linux powered iPod. It will probably be high contrasted display, so look carefull and go to Settings and choose Contrast and reduce it a bit to be able to see normally. This is because Linux has differend setup than original apple software.

---> And what now... Let's look what it can:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

* This last one is my favorite... DOOM on iPod!! I would newer say it's possible... well hell yes, you can find ported version of DOOM called iDOOM for iPod Linux here.

Enjoy.

Maybe i should tell my girlfriend about this. i wouldn't want too break it so ill have her do it lol. Can you play doom?

1064336511[/snapback]

well, as the people from ipodlinux.org claim - they didn't "brick" a single ipod. By "bricking" I mean that, all ipods ever used with linux was working ok, an restored later to apple original software, and anyway if you install linux on ipod, you still have your original apple software there, so when you are turning on your ipod you can choose which system you want to boot: linux or ipod's original... :)

oh, and yes you can play DOOM! :P

Hehe ... I'm interetsted as hell in this stuff, but unfortunately, I can't afford an IPod :). Too expensive and I'm not working yet. It's near 22,000 Rupees in India and I can get a comp for 25,000.... but let's not digress :P. Great article, are those pics of your ipod? Looks great, especially the Doom pic.

yeah they are way too expencive, but anyway, I get my ipod on some mac conference, as a prize. I was sooo happy then! :) anyway, If you get enough money to buy It you will never regret, because it's not just an mp3 player, it's pretty more than just that. There is so much usage for it. At my place an basic ipod is 265$ and I think it's a mini model.

If I buy an ipod like I plan to I was thinking about checking out what kind of lionux options they have out there for it, seems like a fun little thing to play around with. Doom would simply make it all the sweeter :)Does anyone know if they have any older console emulators working on iPods?

One of my friends is running linux on his photo ipod, he's able to watch video but uncompressed avi. Which is big! But yea it does work and you'll have games to play when you're on the bus i guess. I just like the fact that linux is so portable =)

Ok, I just discovered some new stuff about iPod. It's not related to iPod Linux but to iPod itself. Apparently company named Bellevue-based eMagin Corp, which primary bussiness is to manufacture display products for military and industrial use, made recently small display for iPod photo models - which enables you to put it in front of your eyes, very close, and you get a full screen large cinema display, because it covers your eye-view-field. :) anyway, it's called i eyeBud - and you can read more about it here.

Posted Image