xisto Community
sparx

Linux Distribution Chooser Helps you pick a Linux distro

Linux Distro Chooser

ZeGenie Studios, a Norwegian development firm have come up with a very novel and immensely useful idea to help new and struggling users of Linux. Their questionnaire based selection picker asks the user a series of questions regarding what s/he is looking for in a Linux distro and accordingly makes recommendations so the user can make an informed decision about which distro would suit their needs best.

The following Linux distributions are curently included :

Fedora Core
Mandriva
SuSE
Debian
MEPIS
Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Linspire
Xandros
PCLinuxOS
Yellowdog Linux
Gentoo
Slackware
Knoppix
OpenSuSE
ArchLinux
Foresight Linux

What I like about the test is that it asks simple questions based on your skill set level and proceeds accordingly. At the end, when its recommendations are displayed to the user, you get reasons why the candidate that is displayed has been selected for you. Another good thing is that the next closest alternatives are also displayed to give you a range of choices.

Informative links leading to Wikipedia pages act as a sort of glossary so users can see the meanings of terms that they don't currently understand. All-in-all a very useful tool for newbies who want to shift to Linux but don't know which distro to install.

Seems really promissing. The idea is nice, and it could be very useful.
On my pc, it stops at the questions "Do you use a PC or a Mac?" and, instead of displaying the "continue" button it displays :

<input type="hidden" name="helpval" id="helpva

Maybe this site is not for IE6 users ?

I have taken the test and it worked for me quite well, I got the results. The questions were easy in my opinion and it really chosen the distro I thought it will choose for me ;) well, here is my results:1) Kubuntu,2) Suse,3) Mapis,4) Debian.And as I understood, it said that Mandriva, Xandros, Linspire are good for me too, but I have chosen some options so that they failed to include :D for example, some of them are not free and does not have any application library.. I think I will continue to play with this and to pretend to be a beginner and a pro of Linux and see the results. :D

SNIP!

Maybe this site is not for IE6 users ?

1064335472[/snapback]

I tries it on Firefox and IE 6 on a Win XP SP2 system and successfully completed the test. Perhaps it was traffic or you have some restrictions on Javascript and/or cookies?

Also, clear your cache and then try again.

I ran the test... wasnt too optimistic...then at the end... SMACK.. Gentoo !!!The Distro chooser was spot on for me !i do love my Gentoo !

This test is fairly accurate. I took the test and it gave me Arch, gentoo and slackware. Gentoo and Slack are my favorite distros but, I don't understand why Arch is in the list. I've tried to help a couple of friends with Arch, but it just doesn't have the feel of neither gentoo nor slackware.

In my opinion, this test is far too far-fetched. It told me to get Mandriva. I clearly like SuSE better.

xboxrulz

1064335644[/snapback]

xboxrulz: Perhaps Mandriva is better suited to you bearing in mind the responses to the quiz that you provided. Even though you prefer SuSE, Mandriva might have all the characteristics you were looking for.

Out of curiosity, where was SuSE placed in the list of recommendations ?

Surprise SurpriseI got Ubuntu on top of my list. Gentoo some how failed the test. I have learnt alot from Gentoo , but I am so dam confortable with Ubuntu Live CD. Which reminds me I have to order more of them :DI have yet to try Kubuntu which came second on my list.

I just re-took the test and finally got SuSE as the main answer, lol

Hehe, that's a good idea. Just keep taking the test again and again until your favorite distro shows up :D.