xisto Community
soleimanian

How To Rename Recycle Bin Windows XP

How to rename Recycle Bin

You can change the name of Recycle Bin desktop icon

1-Click Start menu > Run > and type “regedit” (without quotes), to run Windows Registry Editor

2- Find and go to following “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID/{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}”

3- Change the name "Recycle Bin" to whatever you want

Please Note :Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system.

1-Click Start menu > Run > and type âregeditâ (without quotes), to run Windows Registry Editor

2- Find and go to following âHKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID/{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}â

1064335382[/snapback]

Ah... this is something I might try out at the office and see if anyone gets confused. Unfortunately, for most of my collegues - doubt if any one has ever emptied out the recyclebin to date... still worth the new year joke....

On a more serious note - is the same procedure applicable to the My Documens folder too? If so I would actually like to go about changing the name to the 'My Documents' folder on my computer..

I remember I was in some option where it let me renaming of the R Bin to what I wanted, but I could not think of anything better than that, so I left it.. but I do not really remember if it was somewhere on windows side or I installed some software which had this feature, without needing to edit the registry manually. :D

I believe you're talking about Norton Utilities, Quartux. :-)This handy set of tools developed by Symantec used to be a big hit in the past, maybe 5-6 years ago. I don't know why it stopped being so popular all of a sudden. Probably because there were no new tools added to it, and the old ones had witnessed no major updates.Well, it's still a very good set of utilities, AND it lets you rename the Recycle Bin.And Jiegh, when someone spends any significant amount of time on his/her computer, they normally feel the need to customize every little detail in their system. At least, I know I do. It's not about pickiness, it's more about personal style. :-)

What i dont understand is why MS didnt allow Recylce Bin to be renamed in normal fashion..and why you cannot hide Recylce Bin Icon like all others..is it to make the system idiot proof?:D

Actually, kaputnik, you can rename the My Documents folder by simply right-clicking it and choosing Rename from the list.  :-)

1064335410[/snapback]

hummm, did that.. it's changed on the desktop - so that's cool. Although it still shows up as My Documents under C:>Documents & Settings > My Documents

Still as far as the look of the desktop goes, it works out well to change the name of My documents to a shorter 'Docs' - aesthetics gos a long way :D

hummm, did that.. it's changed on the desktop - so that's cool. Although it still shows up as My Documents under C:>Documents & Settings > My Documents
Still as far as the look of the desktop goes, it works out well to change the name of My documents to a shorter 'Docs' - aesthetics gos a long way :P

it look even better if u rename to (alt)32 (ascii code for a space) because then u only have the icons and no names :o

Yea I may try this, and rename Recycle Bin to "Trash" as on MAC computers... :P Because at work I have PC and behind my back I have MAC G4 so, when Im constantly working on mac/pc platformes, sometimes I got confused and just lost in that virtual environments... :o so this would be handy tip for me :o

1-Click Start menu > Run > and type “regedit” (without quotes), to run Windows Registry Editor

2- Find and go to following “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID/{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}”

Please could you tell me what is the shortcut key of make a new folder.Any one told me it's shortcut key is alt+f+w+f but it's don't work.Please tell meThank you-question by sony