xisto Community
alliwantisU

Where Could I Find Winzip?

I'm looking for a free program that could open any zip files (the only one I know is winzip). I'm having trouble downloading from the internet because some files that I'm looking for are zip files.Thanks!

I would reccomend you Total Commander, but I think it's not freeware, and messing with archives isn't its primary function. Nevertheless, it can open (almost) any sort of packed file, and also pack files, with a lot of options. On the other hand, it has some problems with password protected archives. Even if you enter the right password, it says file not found, so I use WinZip for the ones with the password.

I myself am using as mastercomputers suggested 7 Zip file manager and found it really great and it does everything I need, is stable :D and isn't WinZip, WinRar not freeware ? I just can't remember, haven't been using them for a while.

Yea, Total Commander is good to for packing and stuff, you also can download extras for it that it would be more powerful also I found a program called IZArc 3.5 beta, but I haven't tried it yet, there is no need for me in my opinion, but maybe someone else can try it out if he/she wants to.

IZArc is the ultimate archive utility supports many archive formats like: 7-ZIP, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BIN, BZ2, BZA, C2D, CAB, CDI, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, IMG, ISO, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MDF, MBF, MIM, NRG, PAK, PDI, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO. With a modern easy-to-use interface, IZArc provides support for most compressed and encoded files, as well as access to many powerful features and tools. It allows you to drag and drop files from and to Windows Explorer, create and extract archives directly in Windows Explorer, create multiple archives spanning disks, creating self-extracting archives, repair damaged zip archives, converting from one
archive type to another, view and write comments and many more. IZArc has also build-in multilanguage support.

IZArc is the most complete archive utility available today.

you can get it here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ :D

For a full and massive list of Freeware ZIP file related tools, see this page: http://www.healthyhabitsglobal.com/davidfreeware/Zip_Utilities.htm

Here's a small glimpse of the cool zip related utilities you'll find on that page:

ZipScan v1.0a [uPDATED]

Search zip files using wildcard search patterns

Mon 27 Sep 1999 22:07:09 | download | homepage | 21 Kb |

Zlib98 1.16 [uPDATED]

Zlib98 is a compact Win95/98/NT4 multithreaded application that extracts/lists zip, gz, tar, tar.gz and compresses files in .zip and .gz formats, it has drag and drop support, long filenames handling.

Fri 3 Sep 1999 08:20:42 | download | homepage | 175kb |

ZipScan

ZipScan searches multiple Zip files for filenames that match wildcard search patterns

Wed 18 Aug 1999 02:02:07 | download | homepage | 46 Kb |

ZipCentral 2.00 [uPDATED]

Free, robust and easy to use zip file manager with a lot of features. Supports all common zip file actions plus creation of self-extracting archives, drag and drop, disk spanning, shell execution, context menu operations, virus scanning, passwords, comments and more. Online help and instructions included. Visit the website for versions in French, Spanish, Italian, German and Swedish.

Sun 15 Aug 1999 20:45:29 | download | homepage | 0,98 MB |

Install ZIP Free 1.0

Install ZIP with its easy-to-use interface makes the setup of an application stored in a ZIP archive a dream. You just have to select the ZIP file and to click the magic button 'Install'. Install ZIP will do the job for you and will clean the temporary installation files used in the process, all in ONE STEP!

Wed 11 Aug 1999 02:58:39 | download | homepage | 988 Kb |

Archiver Shell 6.3

Archiver Shell provides an Explorer-style interface for you to working with compressed files.

Thu 5 Aug 1999 23:46:01 | download | homepage | 1.9 Mb |

Fast Unzipper 2.0

Unzipper 2.0 allows you to easily unzip .zip files, directories full of .zip files, or both (with one button click). It can automatically create individual sub-directories on the fly for each .zip or can unzip into the current directories. You can also choose to recurse stored directory structures or unzip without the included paths

Wed Jul 28 02:11:39 1999 | download | homepage | 56 Kb |

Source: http://www.healthyhabitsglobal.com/davidfreeware/Zip_Utilities.htm

Another link to a similar list: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I'm looking for a free program that could open any zip files (the only one I know is winzip). I'm having trouble downloading from the internet because some files that I'm looking for are zip files.

Thanks!

1064335044[/snapback]

I use WINRAR its free and can extract + Archieve most (i think all) Archieves(zip files),

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

Bash18

I agree with bash 18 i am a winrar user aswell, due to the one right click extraction system for any of the compression types i have come across once setup its is literally a click away from extraction. But going the other way there is also many ways to compress to store from media such as floppy disks to dvds all auto sized in a simple wizard.

I use to use winzip but when I started having to unzip different file types that winzip didnt support i didnt know what to do. then i seen winrar, its fast with most unzipping, it supoprts alot of popular formats, and it has so many options on if u want to create your own archive of stuff.

You can try all of those programs but I'll rather save you the trouble. :PThe best one so far, has been WinRAR for me. IZarc can be a good candidate, although 7-Zip exceeds it because it "feels" like a better overall package, although I have experienced lousy compression with 7-Zip at higher settings, rendering my archives useless.If space isn't that much of an issue, I will recommend the newest version of WinZip, it has the fastest engine out there!

Just another Winrar user I love it and make zips unzip with it and never have problems. I like FREE stuff, if you have Win XP though I think it can unzip a zip file not really sure since I first put Winrar on my machines and all archives are associated with it.

WinZip and WinRar are shareware. To open them, I either use Windows XP's built in one or on my Win98SE computer, I use FilZip, a free alternative to WinZip and WinRar. It can open many file types and zip files. The only downside is it doesn't maintain directory stucture.~souradipm

I am a 7-zip user and I strongly recommend it to evryone else. It is the best compression utility I have ever found and also it is not shareware, it is free open source software.

Like a number of people who posted before me, I'm also a WinRAR user. WinRAR basically covers my needs, and I haven't really delved in depth into the service, so I wouldn't know if there's anything not offered by it that you would need. From what I know, everything about it is perfectly fine. Of course, it's major downfall is that it is shareware, so you'd get annoying recommendations to pay, and it's probably illegal to not pay after thirty days as well. :unsure: