xisto Community
eldar1405241509

Where Can I Find An .exe Editor

I'm not going to comment on disassembly and resource editing because several other people have done that. However, if all you want to do is change the details of the exe on program load, then you will need a hex editor to change the header of the exe file. Headers of most varieties of exe files are well defined on the internet, just do a search. Some common things that this needs to be done for is increasing stack space for programs that use recursive functions if you want to run a large number of iterations.~Viz

Use of editing EXE file

It is just beginning for me to open the exe file code. According to me the opening of exe file is usefull.

We can open code of visual basics projects. Then the changes become very simple and there are very useful projects that we can change without doing excessive labor again. We can change th functionality of the program also.

-Satwinder Singh

extent

Since there is no straight forward method of editing an exe then what are the limitations that I am bound by?

I have only done some minor exe editing a few years back but lost interest for a while. Since I have found this thread I was wondering what are the extremes that I can do to an exe without corrupting it?

Changing parameters in an .exe file

I would like to run an old (1997) dictionary program that was designed to read its data base on a its CD - the CD reader being on the "D" disk - if the CD reader is not on the "D" disk, it doesn't work. To make its execution faster, and liberate the CD reader, I would like to load its data base on an external hard disk, and modify accordingly its .Exe file.

Hope there exist a simple way.

-question by Bagheera

Changing parameters in an .exe file

I would like to run an old (1997) dictionary program that was designed to read its data base on a its CD - the CD reader being on the "D" disk - if the CD reader is not on the "D" disk, it doesn't work. To make its execution faster, and liberate the CD reader, I would like to load its data base on an external hard disk, and modify accordingly its .Exe file.

Hope there exist a simple way.

-question by Bagheera

Obviously, this is a protection against copy.

If you simply copy all the files to your hard disk and run the .exe file and it does not work, that means that your software absolutely wants to fverify that it's running from a CD.

I would like to warn you that modifying the exe file without his author's agreement is forbidden in most of the countries, so, forget about it, or at least don't try to ask here : reverse engeneering for hacking purposes is against our forum rules.

exe editor

Contact me if you would like to know how to edit exe files, there are programs and a number of different ways to go about it. If your not a programmer, people will not know...

Yes you can open and edit a exe file, and insert text, etc. Not all exe files are compatible, depending on what bit you are editing.

-reply by bribot

Descriptive Title for Opinion/FeedbackWhere Can I Find An .exe Editor

After reading all the answers, the best is by bribot. He is obviously a programmer. Any programmer knows that you can edit anything, it is just a matter of knowing how. The old DOS systems had an editor that would open any exe file, but be careful! Most programs are now written via C++ which drives JAVA, so now people just write in JAVA. Any idiot can program in JAVA which is why it is so powerful. Bottom line, bribot knows his stuff, the other answers are so-so, some are just plain ignorant I.E. "you can't edit an exe file" bunk.

-reply by Author Name - e.G. John, MikeKeywords: how to edit an exe

yes PE explorer is a great and easy way to edit EXEs ,and can also recomplie back to exe (most of the time without corruping it). Problem is it's like $100 after the 30 day trial... Unless you find a way to hack it. I tried hacking out the trial triggers with the program itself, but obviously their very smart about hiding it well. Considering the program they made.

other then that, you can bypass buying it by reinstalling your OS (winxp vista etc) . . .

but yes, you can do a lot with PE Explorer for about 30 days.

exe editorzWhere Can I Find An .exe Editor

I am learning how to hack at the moment and of course ive bin doin it for years and still no nearly nothing compared to some of the hackerz I have made contact with. This is a subject that you can spend a lifetime learning and still never master, but... The best programs I have com across to date are, pe-explorer, ollydbg, w32dasm, resource tuner isnt bad..  a bit low end though for the stuff I do, resource hacker which isnt too bad for low end stuff, if you want to use pe-explorer by the way for free, download the trial version, wait untill you got like 3 days left, un-install it, then delete the install folder you used, then go to the run application on your start menu for windows user, type in regedit as one word and windows registry editor will come up, use this VERY carefully, on the menu bar at the top find the bit that lets you search for txt, then search FROM THE TOP for heaventools one word and heaven tools as two words, then search for pe-explorer, every time you find one of these in the system registry DELETE IT and nothing else alone, as the system registry is very crucial to the running of your pc trash it and you are well and truly F****D my friend, then simply re-install pe-explorer and you will have the full 30 trial version again... Its that simple and your welcome...Knowledge is power the more you have the more power over your fellow man you will have, share it and share the power...

-reply by sickboy

I don't believe you can edit a .exe file

Not true. You can edit .exe files. There are few utilities that can do this job for you. If you're interested in purchasing good products in this theme then PExplorer is one good choice. More paid software options are : exeScope, Hexedit, ResourceTuner. These are some paid options if you want you can buy one of from them. Again it is better to ask for suggestion when you make purchase. Ask on forums or newsgroups for the purchase suggestions, feature comparison before you buy.

Other than that there are few Hex editors that let's you do this job. And most of the hex editors on internet are of free of cost. You can download without paying any fees/license. Some free hex editors are : ResourceHacker, Hxplorer. I found other free hex editor good for viewing but not for editing. Some of these are : Filealyzer. Win32 program disassembler is going to perish from Geocities soon (when they shutdown all old web pages). So if you're interested download it and keep it to disk, that is also one good program. In that site i've found the list of more dissemblers. Check this page for more application suggestions.

all I need is to make some changes in the instalattion process of a few programslike changing native language, removing unecessary confirmation screens, changing default installation options i.e. directory etcshould I be able to do this with the tools you guys mentioned in this topic? can you help me out?