xisto Community
eldar1405241509

Where Can I Find An .exe Editor

all I need is to make some changes in the instalattion process of a few programs
like changing native language, removing unecessary confirmation screens, changing default installation options i.e. directory etc

should I be able to do this with the tools you guys mentioned in this topic? can you help me out?

If the only thing you have is the .exe file, it's not very obvious to change the program, because it's compiled, which means made of only very low-level instructions.
These instructions are something like go to register 42, take the value, add with register 12, put result in registry 5. Then put FF in registry 11.
Of course, you can easily edit it and change the value "FF" to "FA" or anything else you want, but you must exactly know the program in order, for instance, to know that the value "FA" means "English language", and know that changing this value to "FA" will mean "use Spanish language".
So, it's not really impossible editing the .exe file, but for doing rather high-level things like removing unnecessary confirmation screens, it's not very obvious if you are not familiar with, let's say, Intel processors machine language.
Hope this helped.
Yordan

many thanks for the input yordanyes, all I have is the .exe file. the programs are "routine" softwares I use in my job - I work as a Help Desk Tech in Brazilso if I could "clean out" the installation procedures to make them more user-friendly for the costumers, my life should be a lot easiersome costumers are messing up even when it's about NEXT > NEXT > NEXT...is there any other possibility? not even "dark-side" ones?

is there any other possibility?

If it's in your work, there is another possibility.Seems that you are using standard subroutines with a header program making the user-input stuff.
You should be able to find the source of this header program, which is probably written in C or in php language.
If you are lucky, this header program is rather clear and commented (the guys who did this were paid for clarity and readability through comments).
In that case it's ease to read the sources and find the place where you have "read RESP; if RESP==Y then goto YES" and replace this with "RESP=Y"

unfortunately I can't get the sources.. I'm talking about softwares like antivirus, antispywares, ccleaner, and some tools of the likewhat I really need is a silent installation for most of these tools...maybe if I find out what was used to build the installer, search for it's unpacker and edit the scprits? any chances?

@Brasil, modifying installation of antivirus, antispyware softwares is considered under "reverse engineer illegal case". So i don't think you'll get that help on most of the forums. But if you're interested in CCleaner or similar freeware stuff for installation modification then you can ask respective freeware authors. They'll surely help you in case of silent installation. Also if you're interested in silent installation without nags for software like antivirus/spyware then why not ask those companies for help ? These companies have such custom network/offline installers that one can do to perform unattended installation. Atleast NOD32, Mcafee, Kaspersky do have such enterprise unattended installation support.

change the open in a programWhere Can I Find An .exe Editor

Hey I was wondering ok there is a demo of this program and the demo is exactly the same as the full but you cant open your saved file again u can only open demo file types I was thinking if u could get into that and change it so it opened the usual file types could that be changed in the program? like just changing the file type its saved is that really complicated or not 

there was that idea or to change the file type on saving it or even a converter to change it from that file type to the demo version file type?

Where Can I Find An .exe EditorWhere Can I Find An .exe EditorReplying to brasilIf you have an msi file, then you can use orca.Msi, to change the certain values and making an installtion silent and much more-reply by Acretian

*Ahem* what ? Is flaming allowed ? You're not supposed to reply like this. You'll be in negative mycents because of this.

You are right, starscream, flaming is forbidden on this forum.The flaming answer has been removed and that guy has got a warning and a flaming PM and is very close to be banned.