xisto Community
GNR-D

Photoshop Or Paintshop

Which software do you prefer  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gimp, to me, is better than PSP and free. The thing that really draws down GIMP is the lack of plug-ins like there are for Photoshop. There are several attempts to create knock offs, but overall the quality of Photoshop is just so much better and has so many more plug-ins to create many different things.I mainly use Photoshop for creating textures to use in 3D animation programs. Photoshop 6 still does everything I need, so I am hard pressed to spend the money on the upgrade. I am sure when I move to OSX-Intel in a couple years, I'll get the latest version then. But for now...The major problem I had with GIMP was that it didn't really show any improvement from 1999 to about 2003. In that time Photoshop went from version 4 to 7 and had a lot more features added that were useful and great additions while GIMP remained pretty stagnate. That hurt GIMP a lot in my book. Now GIMP has picked up steam and there seems to be a much better developers community and much more activity. GIMP is getting better with more options all the time and I could see a day when I go with GIMP and not need Photoshop if there are a couple GIMP plug-ins that are comparable to the ones I use now.

I voted for Photoshop, cause I never used PSP) I can't imagine my life without my fav. Photoshop CS. It's easy to learn and to use. It has everything that is needed for doing the graphics. But, one of my friends uses PSP, and he does really great things with it. He's an wonderful artist, and his works are stunning. It's easier for him to use PSP. What I'm trying to say is, everyone uses the program that is more convinient. I think people can't say that one program is better than the other one. Each of them is good itself I think.

photoshop definietly for me. They have much better functions and heaps of updated versions. It's pretty easy to use as well with plenty of tutorials and willing people on the net that would teach you how to use the program. Paintshop just isn't the same! It doesn't have the same vibe as photoshop :)

Photoshop has my vote.

I used to use Paint Shop Pro, but I was annoyed at the poor results it created (especially with transparency). Also PSP wasn't a "professional" tool - to quote a friend of mine who is a graphics artist (it's his job - he studied for it).

So it took him quite some time to presuade me to change programs, and I opened Photoshop 7 - stunned by its speed on a PII 333MHz, where PSP9 took 10 minutes to kick off. Then of course came the dreadful task of learning where everything was, how things were done. About a week later, I banned PSP from my computer and haven't  looked back. However for the occasional graphic designer - just hobbyists - PSP suffices. But if you're serious about it and want state-of-the-art, then Photoshop is the way to go.

I found it to be more intuitive than PSP, faster and better results all in all.

I don't feel you can make a correct comparison, since PSP is just not even coming close to touching the tail end of PS.

1064333844[/snapback]

Yes, I agree. I used to swear against PS because I used PSP, I soon switched over and would never go back.

Well, I started out with PSP. And as people have been saying it is great for beginners. I found it easy to use. The only problem was that it didn't offer me enough features and effects. I had heard about PS and about how good it was, so I decided to switch to that.I haven't gone back.As soon as I started using PS, I found myself thinking, 'How could I have ever used PSP?'. Now, I am not a professional graphic/web designer or anything, but I have found that PS is the best graphics program out there. It offers so much more than what the others offer. I have to admit, it does take time to learn how all of the things work. I have had it for a few years now and I still don't know how some things work. But once, I got used to it I found it very easy to use.So, Photoshop all the way for me! :)

Hey, what do you know? Two votes for PaintShop Pro! I never would have believed it myself. =^^=

I remember a couple of years back when most, if not all, of the graphic tutorials online swore by PaintShop Pro. There were even a couple of books touting it as the best graphics software around. Of course as you can see, times have changed. =^^=

Was there ever a time when PSP equaled Photoshop? Frankly, I can't recall. Maybe it did, in the past, but it doesn't now. While I haven't used PaintShop Pro, I can tell from the features and screenshots listed on the website that it falls far short of Photoshop's high-quality professionalism. Practically everything than can be done on PaintShop Pro can be done on Photoshop, but the reverse isn't true. So what if PSP is easier to use? It's not like you can do much with it.

If there is anything about about Photoshop I don't like, it's the hefty price tag. It's worth it if you want to do any and heavy graphics editing, but most people don't even use half of what Photoshop can do. For those people who don't want to pay big bucks for a quality graphics software but want something better than PaintShop Pro (which also isn't cheap, by the way), I recommend GIMP. It's almost as good as Photoshop and has some features that even PS doesn't have. In fact, I use both GIMP and Photoshop—they make a great team. =^^=

I would definitely have to say photoshop all the way. I totally agree with you that it has more and better features and a much more professional feel to it.To me paintshop is more like a photoshop lite. I'm sure there are many opinions floating around on what the best image editor program is but I always have and always will go for photoshop.I did actually use paintshop for a while as it was the first photo editor program I ever used but after a while I came accross photoshop, used it for a while and have never gone back.

I guess I agree with the mass majority, photoshop is the one for me. I have both on my system usually, and I still actually use both, but photoshop has it hands down. If I just want to do something super quick I oft use PSP since it loads in a snap on my machine, but otheriwse I use photoshop.

Photoshop is the best. I started with Photoshop and tried PSP for a while. When i compared the two, PSP was so much harder and it wasn't that useful when editing my pictures. I recommend photoshop not because it's used by many professionals but it's because of its simplicity yet high quality productions. It's so much easier to create layouts in Photoshop unlike the others i've used.

Well, I started out with PSP. And as people have been saying it is great for beginners. I found it easy to use. The only problem was that it didn't offer me enough features and effects. I had heard about PS and about how good it was, so I decided to switch to that.
I haven't gone back.

As soon as I started using PS, I found myself thinking, 'How could I have ever used PSP?'. Now, I am not a professional graphic/web designer or anything, but I have found that PS is the best graphics program out there. It offers so much more than what the others offer. I have to admit, it does take time to learn how all of the things work. I have had it for a few years now and I still don't know how some things work. But once, I got used to it I found it very easy to use.

So, Photoshop all the way for me! 

Absolutely the same thing! Really absolutely! photoshop is the best one, anyway for me! :P

P.S. Ayla, veeeeeeery cute avatar! :):D:):P

I choose photoshop.Paintshop is maybe more easy to use but is more limited in features than photoshop.Photoshop is a professional tools used by everyone. In the begining you have to learn a lot of things.

id take photoshop over paintshop anyday...photoshop creates higher quality images and is much faster on slower machines than paintshop. photoshop also offers a whole variety of options to the user that paintshop doesnt touch on...photoshop is also very easy to learn whether you are comming from another program or just starting off with no abilities. photoshop is a great program and should be in everyones arsenal or programs...i have photoshop 7 on my old laptop whcich is a pIIMMX 366mhz with 162mb ram and it runs without any difficulty what so ever...i have photoshop cs2 on my desktop which is a P4 2.8ghz with 512mb ram and it also runs without any difficulty...i love photoshop and will stick with it forever