xisto Community
ikenalleenik

Problem: Network Connection Fails Every 2 Mins

From time to time, my internet connection falls out;It's been happening since i installed XP again. In the beginning it was 2 minutes after you started up the pc. Happily, now it's jsut when you download a big file or so.Does anyone know how to solve my problem??Thanks,Michiel

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

I think you need to give us more and more information to help you in solving your problem.You have never mentioned about the connection type you use :dialup, Adsl, Dsl...and so on.You've not told us that wheather are you on a network and if on a network..then is it a wirless connection or an ethernet one.Well, a very simple rule of getting helped is that you've got to give the whole information to others from whom you are looking for solution to your problem. I'll say it is just like telling the symptoms to the DOCTOR :huh:

Okay, sorry!I'm on a Windows Xp with windows firewall and McAfee personal firewall plus.I'm living in Belgium, and i have Cable with Telenet. I have a ethernet fast internet card in computer. I'm connected to the internet through a HUB, like my other computer, (where i don't have this problem). Is this a network?That's all i know, if there's something specific, ask me please?Greetz, and thanks,Michiel

Well, Have you checked it that wheather you connection is dropping because of your ISP or is it just you! if not then do call their helpline first!Secondly, lets assume that it's your computer..then go ahead and try it on your main computer...if that runs fine..then for sure it will be a problem with the network.I hope to get more information from you...to find out what step can be taken next!

Just one small thing, I had it once on a computer, i was really suprised. In the Win XP hardware menu, have a look at the properties of your of your Ethernet adapter, there is a folder "power settings", and a tag "allow Windows to power off this device when needed", if the box is checked ("yes"), uncheck it, and see if there is a difference.RegardsYordan

Hey, thanks for the replies all!My networkconnection is a;Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NICMaybe you know a bit more about it now?And it isn't because of the power suply of windows, because that's not checked.And on my other computer it works all just fine.And what is an ISP?Greetz,Michiel

An ISP is an Internet Service Provider. For example: Comcast, AOL and the such. I've not exactly had much experience with cable networks but i think it works similarly with a wireless network. I had a similar problem before but instead of the internet connection cutting off after big downloads, i get a cut off somewhat every 30 secs then after 10 secs the connection is up again and the cycle repeats itself. I found out the problem was the WEP encryption in the wireless connection settings. It was at default (I have no idea why) encrypted and somehow its not supposed to let me connect to the access point at all but it did, only for 30 secs. Hope this might've helped you! (As in you probably need to check your network firewall for restrictions and such.)

I haven't got a wireless connection, and the problem has begun after i had reinstalled windows xp professional. And at that moment there even wasn't a firewall installed. Only a week later i had installed windows service pack 2, (with the windows firewall). And more later, i have installed mcAfee Securitycenter. So, i figured that it wasn't a problem with the settings of my firewalls. And i have my computer scanned for viruses and other things like adware and such, because the problem maybe could be of a virus or so, from the time McAfee Securitycenter wasn't yet installed, but nothing was found.So, i'm a little out if ideas how to solve the problem.Thanks,Michiel,(appologies for my English, i'm a dutchspeaking person; if something isn't clear, ask me plz.)

Try using the cable and port from the other computer that's not having this network connection problem. So unplug the cable from that computer and plug it into this one. It may be a failing cable or port on that hub. Tell us if that worked or not...

Replying to ikenalleenikMy internet drops out after only 6 seconds!! It lasts almost a minute when I boot up, and then will fail in 6 seconds. I also have a Realtek RTL8139 connector, but it's on the motherboard. I have virus & spyware scanned over&over. The cable company says it's not their problem. I have installed a new driver. All has the same effect (nothing). I FOUND ONE TEMP FIX!! The Control Panel> Network Connection haa a back tab "Support". Hit the Repair button, watch six steps tick off, and then the network circuit will work for 5 seconds. My next trial will be installing a new Network card. -reply by John

Desktop computer freeze or hang up and cable disconnected after 2 mins of internet connectionProblem: Network Connection Fails Every 2 Mins

Hi All

I am using BSNL Broadband - PPOE internet connection .

Here service provider is  : Broadband

I am using DSL connection with network card and hwatii modem for my internet connection to be established.

I'm using Windows XP OS and Norton Antivirus 2007 as firewal including default windows firewal.

Actually, the connection was working perfect way, however just before some day this symptom is happened.

Symptom: After 2 mins of internet connection providing correct user credential, one message popped up like - cable disconnected, even though the connection had not been held up by me. After that the pc had been hung up and freeze and not responded till restart.

I am quite puzzled due to this and thought for Virus and scanned thorougly several times, but with a most amazingly the scan result showed " No Virus Threat Detected".

Please help me to solve this issue.

Saumyadeep

saumyadeep.Ieee@gmail.Com

-question by saumyadeep

Desktop computer freeze or hang up and cable disconnected after 2 mins of internet connectionProblem: Network Connection Fails Every 2 MinsHi All

I am using BSNL Broadband - PPOE internet connection .

Here service provider is  : Broadband

I am using DSL connection with network card and hwatii modem for my internet connection to be established.

I'm using Windows XP OS and Norton Antivirus 2007 as firewal including default windows firewal.

Actually, the connection was working perfect way, however just before some day this symptom is happened.

Symptom: After 2 mins of internet connection providing correct user credential, one message popped up like - cable disconnected, even though the connection had not been held up by me. After that the pc had been hung up and freeze and not responded till restart.

I am quite puzzled due to this and thought for Virus and scanned thorougly several times, but with a most amazingly the scan result showed " No Virus Threat Detected".

Please help me to solve this issue.

Saumyadeep