xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
moonwitch1405241479

Photoshop Tutorial: Plastic 3d Looking Tentacles

Well, after being away for so long, I figured it's time for me to write another tutorial. This time I have settled for those plastic tentacles you see all over the web; in interfaces, in signatures even. I, myself did several tutorials on this subject, and then I finally found a very simple way to achieve the same result.

For this tutorial you will need :

Photoshop CS2 (I don't know about earlier versions as I don't have those. - If CS or 7 have the Artistic Filter Plastic Wrap then those work too)

Patience

A smile and maybe some good tunes

Of course the requirements are not that hard, most of these tentacle tutorials will teach you to highlight and add shadowing with an airbrush, since that is not my forte; I use layers and gaussian blur. :P

Fire up your Photoshop, and open a document with dimensions of your choice; I opted for 400x400. The background can be transparent, but it's not necesary, infact it is more visible if you choice white or any other color (best not black though). Mine is #9FAABE

With the Polygon Selection tool, select a triangle, fairly long and narrow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Make a new layer, and fill your selection with black. Do not deselect.

Posted Image

Now make a new layer again, with your selection still active, and fill the selection on this new layer with #FCFCFC (which is an off white). Your image should now look like this. ANd you should have 3 layers, the background layer - which you filled with a color of your own choice, the black triangle layer and the off-white triangle layer.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Here comes the fun part, where most tutorials start to include the hard stuff. Now with your selection still selected, go to Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur and apply a blur of 4.0. That should make your image have that shadow - smoothness going :P

Posted Image

You can deselect now :D (Ctrl+D) and then you press the lil eye icon on the background layer (the one filled with your color) so it becomes invisible, then make sure you have the white or black triangle selected and merge the visible layers (Layers > Merge Visible) or hit Shift+Ctrl+E.

Posted Image

We're not quite there yet, however, we're getting pretty close. A few more steps and you have a brilliant looking tentacle :huh: Now, with the tentacle layer highlighted, go to Filters > Distort > Shear. You can play with the settings yourself a bit so it looks like you wanted it to. Here's the settings I used, and then a shot of how the image looks by now :)

Posted Image

A step closer to completion :P Now we're going to add the plastic look to our tentacle. The creators of Photoshop must have forseen this, because they made a little filter called Plastic Wrap, now I still wonder why it's done with manually editting the highlights and shadows, since this is so much easier. Anyhow, with the tentacle layer highlighted, you go to Filter > Artistic > Plastic Wrap. I am still amazed that no one told me about this :P Also I am not sure if this filter is included in Photoshop versions lower than CS, so if you know, let me know.

Plastic Wrap Settings : Highlight Strenght 9 - Detail 12 - Smoothness 2.

Highlight strength does exactly what it says, the higher the strength the more visible it will be, so you can toy with the setting as much as you like. Detail is best kept high, of course it depends on the look you want to achieve, and the higher the smoothness the duller the surface of the tentacle will look as it seems to apply a blur on the highlight.

One thing I noticed with this Plastic Wrap is that when you curl the tentacle too much it will leave you with a jagged highlight, so of course this method has disadvantages, however it's a nice solution for those - like me - who are not that great with shadowing and highlighting. So make sure you use the preview option with care, it is possible that you need to adjust the smoothness to avoid the jaggedness.

Posted Image

Now that's it, you could add a Drop Shadow to it, which will make it look better. Do this by right-clicking on the layer and selecting Blending Options. Or you can use the lil F button on the lower left of the Layer Palette.

Posted Image

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and found it usefull. Most likely this will be "mirrored" on my site.

This looks nice, and it is not hard to make after I read this tutorial, well now I only need to think where could I use it, but I think I already now :huh:

not a bad tut moon, but owuld like to add a few thoughts to it though.i know they would work well with splash pages but sigs no standard sig sizes won't give it much room to work with logos maybe, possibly flash animation and maybe borders but that would be about it.only problem i see with it is that you would have to draw the lines and not use the marquee tool, due to the fact that its hard to do the lines straight with out them getting pixelated. of course my other idea would take a little longer with the use of more layers and the use of the distort and perspective tool as well.

Firstly, the image can be used for anything, if applied properly.I personally hate splash pages, as they are useless and provide no really substantial purpose.And if you can do it better than, please make a tutorial about it. I like this sort of thing, and always wondered how it can be made with Photoshop and the likes, without the use of 3D software.

The easiest method, to avoid the pixelated look would have exceeded the level of this tutorial, I personally use the Pen Tool to draw the triangle. Then I rightclick, fill path with foreground (while black is my forground color), then I make a new layer, right click - fill path with color FCFCFC (or just ANY color you pick). Then you Ctrl + Click on the top layer, which is the not black filled triangle and apply a guassian blur, you really can choose how much, just be sure to have it set so you see some of the black through (it acts as your shadowing). Then you deselect (Ctrl + D) and do the rest of the tutorial without jagged edges. But as I said, this covers more than what I planned for this tutorial, one on using the pen tool will be explained later on.

Great tutorial Moon :huh:. I've actually been able to do the same thing in the GIMP (well almost). Of course, it's not as good as yours, but hey ... I'm just starting out in GIMP. Here's mine:

Posted Image

Just for the note, here's what you have to use in GIMP:

Photoshop<->Gimp

Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur : Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur

(To get the same effect as in Photoshop, give different values for horizontal and vertical. I used 10 horizontal and 3 vertical)

Filters > Distort > Shear : Filters > Distort > Whirl & Pinch

Blending Options > Drop Shadoe : Script-Fu > Layer Effects > Drop Shadow

Couldn't find any plastic wrap but, you can't have everything for free right :).

Hey Abhiram, I'll install GIMP again (or just linux all together LOL) and see if I can find the plastic wrap like, there should be something like it :P I think you did an awesome job at it though, so don't sell yourself short here :PYou could always write a tutorial on this in GIMP :huh: Just a thought of course :)

You could always write a tutorial on this in GIMP Just a thought of course

Thanks :huh:, but it's not necessary. Anybody using GIMP has to just follow your tutorial and use the tools as I mentioned in the previous post.

Step 1Create document 250x250 pixels. Fill it with #B9CCD9 color. Create a new layer name it "tentacle". Select rectangular marquee tool [M]. Make a shape similar to mine 18 width and 240 height pixels. Fill the selection with BLACK. Don't deselect it until I tell you.

Step 2
Create a new layer above the tentacle layer. You don't have to rename it. I hope you have the selection still active. Fill it with #FCFCFC color. Now You should have two layers : Layer 1 and tentacle layer. Similar to the image on the left. 

Step 3
Now apply Gaussian Filter to Layer 1. Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur with radius 4. Merge both layers CTRL+E. Now you have one layer called tentacle. You can deselect your selection selection now.

Step 4
Now all we have to do is distort it. Edit>Transform>Distort. Select right-bottom corner and using SHIFT+ALT move it to a little to the center. Do it the same with right-top corner but this time move it to the right. Watch my image. 

Step 5
Add Shear filter. Filter>Distort>Shear. You can make your own or use my settings. 

Step 6
Here is the most important part of this tutorial.

Add Plastic Wrap. Filter>Artistic>Plastic Wrap.

Settings: Highlight Strenght : 9
Detail : 9
Smoothness : 2

TIP: The trick is to add light which goes from top to bottom. It makes tentacle looks like 3D tentacle. If you want to make smaller or bigger tentacle just play with these settings.

Step 7
Add some shadows. Use layer style - drop shadow with these settings:

Blend Mode: Normal
Color: Black
Opacity: 30 %
Angle: 90
Distance: 2
Spread: 0

Size: 5

Step 8
This is the best part. We are going to cover this tentacle with BLOOD. Download some bloody brushes or use your own. I suggest you visit deviantart.com. There is a lot of great bloody brushes. It doesn't have to be blood. You can draw some spots using standard brushes. Create a new layer and name it "blood". Change the foregound color to #A2171A and splash some blood on the tentacle. Don't cover the whole tentacle.

(edit: Brushes available at http://angryblue.com/

Step 9
Set the blending mode for the "blood layer" to Color Burn. While still on the blood layer hold CTRL and select "tentacle layer". Inverse a selection CTRL+SHIFT+I and hit DELETE. Now add some adjustments : Image> Adjustments> Brightness&Contrast and enter Brightness -25.

Sharpen "tentacle layer". Filter>Sharpen>Sharpen. WOW! 

Step 10
Final step is to add more blood spots to the background. Using this technique you can add anything to a tentacle like slime. All you have to do now is duplicate it.

REMEMBER : The key is to properly set Plastic Wrap Filter. Add more tentacles and have fun. Just be creative!

Congratulations, Your done!

Notice from moonwitch:
Don't quote an entire tutorial and then paste another tutorial in a post, I am well aware that this tutorial covers what I said, and I know it exists, I even read it, but I didn't just copy like you did :D