xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Harry1984a

Do You Run A Forum-website Forum-Website Poll

Do you run a Website including a Forum?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've always had a message board on my websites. Sure when I first started doing hobby and music related websites for fun I used free ad powered services as running software on hosted websites wasn't really common and to be honest I wouldn't have had skills of doing or installing a discussion forum that day. Remember that in the nineties they were far less easy to use than today and tended to hog lot bigger percentage of server resources than today. None of my message boards has become huge, they always were an addition to the other site, partially a channel for my visitors to give feedback, partially another section for my site to keep visitors coming back but the most important thing for me always has been that the forum helps you to know your visitors better. After all, people visiting your website are likely to be very like-minded with you and can make good friends. I still keep contact with couple of persons I have met through my own website in the nineties. Those website are long gone but friends have remained. Also my current website's discussion board has become kind of a meeting place for my real life friends. We live in different cities and the forum is a real nice way to reach everyone (well all who happens to read it in time..) with minimal bother.

I've had a few tries myself at free forum host, but it usually didn't work. Now I am administrating a real forum, with a normaln domain name - and it's working just fine! It was uploaded in November and it has collected 102 members until now. That is great since it is not in English - it shows that there are people interested in "foruming" after all. My suggestion to you all is that if you have a good idea and/or forum topic, save some money and create one at a payed host.

I'm currently in management of two forums (https://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=antilost&e=com and m^e's business site forum) and I help out here as a global mod.As well as taking on my own responsibilities as a member, I also help out to keep people within the rules and regulations of the boards. IF people do not stay within those rules then they are punished.I only have a personal forum to test out my skills in the various aspects of design and development and to have a little play around.However, with the projected launch of my own web-solutions site the responsibility of keeping spammers and all of the crap out will grow.As others have said before me, it depends on how much effort you are willing to put into keeping things clean and is irrelevant of trouble-causers.

Yeah, I'm running my own forum. First I started with a preinstalled forum, such as InvisionFree. It was good, but it died after some time. It is quite rare for those kinds of forums to be lively.

Same same pyost. Invisionfree was really my inspiration for creating a proper forum and a proper website. I agree when you say it as good but it then died. Those kind of free domain names don't last long because members lose interest in it. I did have a URL redirection link at some point but it was just too much to manage it.
Inspired by Invision, I now use IPB (Invision Power Board) 1.3 now to create my forum. I find it quite useful and one of the main focuses of my site. Also, any type of forum including vBulletin and SMF (Simple Machines), can use various different modules to create website like features cuh as a shoutbox or gallery. And before I created a proper site, I used to use the forum portal to create that home-like effect!

But if you take my advice, instead of creating a whole site using HTML or PHP, you should just use a decent CMS (Content Management System) such as MKPortal which is what I am using. That particular CMS has PHP coding all ready done, a CSS and pre-installed modules ... all for free! The good thing about it is that it's fully customizable to nearly any extent.

Before making a site, I would recomend to anyone that the first thing to get is a forum to attract members and to spread the word and popularity. B)

I don't have one since I can't get it to work. And I don't have a lot of traffic to my site anyway since its not done B) That means I have to learn how to get a forum up and running. *sigh* Well I'm sure you can get out of a lawsuit if you get sued, which is a high inprobability

I run a forum, and have run many since 2004, I have had many under populated forums, and never one that's lasted more than 3 months.Once one dies their, I wait a couple of weeks, make a new one, email my old members get some new members, and then it lasts me abit longer.The one i'm running now is in a state of 'doing it up' I am currently making the site for it, but I can't revamp the forum as I want them both to look similar. I have used Invisionfree and phpBB, but no others. phpBB I just couldn't get my head around properly as I had been using Invisionfree for 2 years.

i used to run one... but my team was on top of everything i thought it was the easiest things to just just sit back and kick it;-) and i still had a good hit website to the host closed without tellin me:-(

A few years ago I bought a domain and a bunch of space and started a news site / discussion forum. It got pretty big after about six months but then started to die. I was going to school and working so I didn't really have enough time to manage it properly. I used Woltlab Burning Board which I was very satisfied with, and I had a few good people to make me logo's and such for the site.... Now I help manage somebody else's forum. I don't have the funds/time to do a site myself but it was fun back in the day.

that is really silly i reckon that it's that much time... cause i run a forum and that is just bad :P but really people can get over themselves if they see a bad post anyways.... and basically it's mainly attachments that give bad posts anyways... cause swearing can be filtered.. so i don't really know what really is the concern hey. and it's great too being in Australia.. cause you get even a bit more freedom :o Only many things on the net are so hard cause you are not in the USA so you can't join certain places.. and yeh it's a nightmare.