xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
szupie

Firefox 1.5: It's Out Now!

Mozilla just released the second major release of their Firefox browser yesterday. It's now a final release, instead of release candidates. Firefox will now support SVG, so it'd be fun to try working with that. I'm using Firefox RC3, so I'm waiting for the automatic update to come (possibly this afternoon?). If you don't have Deer Park Alpha 1 or over, you'll have to download it manually from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/, but then, for future updates, you won't have to download the whole package anymore, because you'll have the automatic update feature.

See MozillaZine's news about this.

Downloaded and installed on my Gentoo a few hours ago.... looks great so far :). Some extensions aren't working, but maybe they have some follow up which does, haven't checked up on the website. Is it just me, or is the startup time less?

I've had it for a while - and I must say, the UPDATE process (for extensions) has become WAYYYYY smoother. Unlike earlier that obstinate update window doesn't pop-up, instead all the updates happen within the extension window itself - and much faster.Also those extensions which refuse to work can be made to work, if you open up the .xpi files and inside in one the XML files (which contain the basic template for that extension) - you can modify the MaximumVersion data to 1.5 and make them run here...

Still waiting for the auto-update to detect it...abhiram, the reason the startup time decreased may have been that some extensions are disabled, so your Firefox takes less memory to start and to run.

abhiram, the reason the startup time decreased may have been that some extensions are disabled, so your Firefox takes less memory to start and to run.

Hmm... I guess you're right. I've installed the binary package for linux and for some reason sometimes when I start it, it gives me a popup saying 'chrome' has been disabled. I click on 'ok' and firefox starts as normal. Any idea what that means?

I am using it now...It is great, but eats lots of memory..I just open 3 tabs, memory usage is about 47MB.. :) and some extensions did not work in this 1.5 version.For example, Bookmarks Synchronizer and Super DragAndGo....

Memory usage seems to have dropped a bit here though, in 1.0.3 it used to be around the 60 mb's, now it seems to float around the 50's.The onmouseover effects of the menu buttons are quite nice thoughBut apart from that I didn't really notice much difference (besides the interface change from the OPTIONS menu).

i think ill pass on it till it comes in gentoo portage stable....:)or has it come? :S

A way to install extension that does not support version 1.5:Setp 1: download the extension that you want to install to your local drive and rename it to zip fileSetp 2: Open it with WinZip or any other compress software.Setp 3: look for install.rdf and open it with any text editor.Setp 4: Find em:maxVersion, change its value to 1.5 then saveSetp 5: Rename it back to xpi file. then install this modified extension by draging it in to a FireFox window.However, this method does not always work."SwitchProxy Tools" can be installed after modified with this method.but error occur when adding a proxy.And you can use the same method for your favorite theme.

Actually it won't work in all cases - I tried this out recently... Some extensions get through but some don't. Starting from FF 1.5 onwards extensions are packed in a little different format (folder structures) - which makes extension designing wayyy more easier and painless, but makes a bunch of the old ones incompatible with 1.5. Anyway, I'm writing an extension to view the Asta/Trap Credits in your statusbar - autorefreshed at a certain preset interval. I'm 70% done with it - the UI is complete.. the part that's remaining is fetching the actual data and displaying it back. If anyone want's to help me out with this - you're most welcome :)Regards,m^e

It works for super DragAndGo extension version 0.24D1....I modified the install.rdf file and it works very well in Firefox 1.5The extension which you are working on sounds very cool and useful for us...I hope it can be released soon.. :)

I just read the posts at MozillaZine, and I found out that RC3, the one I'm using right now, is the same as 1.5. That's why Firefox wasn't detecting the auto-update.ms^e, I've been writing an extension too, but like always, I got bored and stopped working on it. I started it during the summer, and I may continue working on it in the future. It's a tool mainly to search Xisto, but also includes other things like games to play while your page loads (I got this idea during the time when Xisto had a slow loading time, but I guess it's not applicable anymore. Well, maybe dial-up users can use this feature), and Xisto's stats (I don't know what I meant by that - I wrote it in my extension's changelog, but I don't remember what I was thinking about). Have you coded any extensions before? Or did you want to make your first extension out of curiosity?