xisto Community
Jguy101

What Language Is Linux Written In ?

how to change linux time with putty?

What Language Is Linux Written In ?

Any one know how to change Linux server Time with putty ?

Any help about it will be appreciated !

Thanks in advance !

Zia

@ first questionyou need a "linux from scratch" dvd or cd it comes with debian distro disks or something like that google the title

I''ve been wondering lately, what language is Linux written in?

I'm interested in this, because my friend and I are considering writing our own distro. I know, it sounds like a bit of a feat, but one guy wrote MEPIS by playing with the Debian source code. I think the two of us could do something similar. ^_^

I would say that Linux, by itself, is rather easy to bo maked. Students are learning that at the university. Creating the Linux kernel and the main compiling the main programs is rather easy, because the sources are available.

I would say that the most difficult part is writing down the drivers. You need to find a way of detecting wich hardware is present in each possible computer you are installing your distro on, and writing the corresponding driver, or obtaining the driver from somebody else.

The key point defining if a given current Linux distro is "better" than another one, from my point of view, is the fact that it already has all the drivers needed by my own PC, so the installation from the Linux distro is straightforward, I boot from the distro bootable CD and I click "accept" in each question. This supposed that a lot of people spent a lot of time on the install interface and on the automatic detection of all my communication, audio and printer devices which could possibly be found on my PC.

I would say that Linux, by itself, is rather easy to bo maked. Students are learning that at the university. Creating the Linux kernel and the main compiling the main programs is rather easy, because the sources are available.I would say that the most difficult part is writing down the drivers. You need to find a way of detecting wich hardware is present in each possible computer you are installing your distro on, and writing the corresponding driver, or obtaining the driver from somebody else.
The key point defining if a given current Linux distro is "better" than another one, from my point of view, is the fact that it already has all the drivers needed by my own PC, so the installation from the Linux distro is straightforward, I boot from the distro bootable CD and I click "accept" in each question. This supposed that a lot of people spent a lot of time on the install interface and on the automatic detection of all my communication, audio and printer devices which could possibly be found on my PC.

this is why Windows 7 rocks... because it comes with a huge readily available/accessible libraries of drivers

this is why Windows 7 rocks... because it comes with a huge readily available/accessible libraries of drivers

And that's the main problem when we tell people that they should switch to Linux. We should provide them with a free Lunix distro which also has this huge amount of available drivers, so that whatever they buy, they can simply plug it.
And, unfortunately, when a new device appears (printer, phone, mp3 player, camera) it usually has the drivers for the current Microsoft Windows version, and does not have the driver for my old Windows or my own Linux version.

And that's the main problem when we tell people that they should switch to Linux. We should provide them with a free Lunix distro which also has this huge amount of available drivers, so that whatever they buy, they can simply plug it. And, unfortunately, when a new device appears (printer, phone, mp3 player, camera) it usually has the drivers for the current Microsoft Windows version, and does not have the driver for my old Windows or my own Linux version.

manufacturers usually have Windows driver available first choice because there are more Window users than Linux (generally) and there's a greater chance that the person using the device will very likely be using it with a Windows machine...

but more and more Linux drivers are made available with a lot of devices now adays

When you buy a commercial version of Linux, or when you buy Microsoft Windows, included is a license for commercial disk or other devices drivers. When you obtain a free version of Linux, you pay no license fees for commercial drivers, that's why these drivers are not included inside the free distro.Some manufacturers start adding free drivers for Linux, hoping that they will sell more devices, let's hope that this way of thinking will keep growing.

When you buy a commercial version of Linux, or when you buy Microsoft Windows, included is a license for commercial disk or other devices drivers. When you obtain a free version of Linux, you pay no license fees for commercial drivers, that's why these drivers are not included inside the free distro. Some manufacturers start adding free drivers for Linux, hoping that they will sell more devices, let's hope that this way of thinking will keep growing.

if only Linux Devs all agree on one Linux Distribution... i'm sure drivers for most devices would be available for Linux by now, and maybe Game developers will be creating Linux versions of their Games