xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CroSpartacus

Computers As A Profession Need suggestions on a computer career

Do not limit yourself is all I can recommend.I can say from my own experience that demand is not as high as been stated for computer technicians, in fact if I was you and wanted a career as a computer technician, I would also look at the sales/retailing aspects as well, in which you could be doing two jobs, selling computers as well as building/servicing.If you are only limiting yourself as a computer technician, then you'll be better off doing it for yourself, and starting your own business for it.So many businesses are restructuring their IT department (laying them off), because it's a huge expense having them, and with technology becoming more reliable and cheaper, the decision for getting something fixed, to having it replaced instead is always being considered, and sometimes it's the cheapest option to go for.It's quite sad that some of these businesses are Schools, in which they are no longer having onsite administrators, but call whenever they need something done.Software will also be a problem that'd need resolving for most people rather than hardware related.Cheers,MC

In my opinion I would choose the computer industry only if you DON'T want a decent paycheck or peace of mind. I am a recent graduate with a B.S. in computer science and like many of you folks here I chose this profession because it is something that I enjoy doing and I thought this line of work would pay pretty well. Right after college however, I started my job hunt only to find extremely low starting salaries and exceptionally high demands. In my opinion many companies are looking for people who can hit the ground running. They expect you to possess an enormous amount of computer knowledge and pay you like a peon and that is only after fighting a countless number of months to get your foot in the door. Once you get in, it will take you many many years to get even a small promotion (One of the upper level guys has to die or something). These days the computer industry is seriously oversaturated with employees, you not only have to compete with U.S. citizens but you also have to compete with IT workers in India and China. My advice, If you are serious about doing the IT field, you better have some sort of backup plan just incase things don't go your way. But if I were you, get out while you can unless you want to work for free. Just my opinion!! Good Luck.

I am considering taking a career involving computers. I was wondering what kind of computer field does everyone reccomend. I have been told that Computer Engineering is the biggest thing which pays the best money. I would like to be involved with working on computer parts and learning where everything goes. Also I would like the money to be good. Anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of computer field I should take?

I'm only 14 and i've also been eager with a profession revolving around the world of computers. I agree with what you said, a compute engineer is definetly one of the best ways to go. For that, I think you bascially need a good knowledge of computer, I.C.T., maybe a bit of manufacture, and engineering of course. Also, if that's not the job you want, then a computer designer could be a great choice also because you make and design computer layouts both externally and internally.

But then again, it depends on what interests you the most. You can also be a computer tester, where you just sit at a computer, test the latest functions and see if they work. This would be could if wanted money for just going on a computer and it could be bad because it's damaging and also a bit boring! :o

Good luck with your choices.

It all depends on your what your good at. I would definitly not encourage you to go into a field you do not like either. I would look into which feilds interest me then study in that feild. Most computer feilds pay a decent amount of money anyways. I personally am going into programming, not sure what programming yet, but I prefer programming computers rather than making them, so look around find what you like and go for it.

A good paycheck is a result of lots of things ...What company are you working forDemand for your skills (supply vs. demand)Stability vs instability of employment in your field.Type of employment (contract vs. permanent)How good you are at what you doWhat other skills you bring to the tableI have seen good programmers earning $300/hour but also spending 6 or more months at a time between contracts.One job that might often be overlooked is the person who does the testing. A GOOD tester is worth their weight in gold. But most testers aren't very good.

I am considering taking a career involving computers. I was wondering what kind of computer field does everyone reccomend. I have been told that Computer Engineering is the biggest thing which pays the best money. I would like to be involved with working on computer parts and learning where everything goes. Also I would like the money to be good. Anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of computer field I should take?

I suggest Computer Engineering because of it's scope. It is a cross of electronics and programming. Both hardware/software jobs are in-demand nowadays and have a competitive salary. Certifications are also a plus and advantages especially when you are applying for job.

I went to college for Computer Programming, and Computer Networking. I have learned many things in that time from software to hardware, and learning coding and scripting, and maintaining a computer. So there are a lot of professions out there... There is a huge need for many types of techs out there, but you need the qualifications and certifications... that is where the time and energy come into play... Not all PC work needs certification, but that also is where the real money is made.So the sky is the limit... you can learn Computer Sciences, and build computers. You can take Programming and create software or work off of softwares and create web applications. You can take Engineering and Networking and work on the hardware side of the craft. This is where you can maintain and upgrade the devices, and route each unit to each other, or throughout the world on the internet.

I'd like to some day be a web designer, I'm interested in the graphical side of making websites and CSS and XHTML.I myself don't really want to work for a company or own a company, I just want to make websites for small and large businesses for a few grand (you can get that and more, it pays well). I'm not even in college yet though so I still have a few years until I can really start anything and do more with myself besides working at maccas, LOL.Also I'd like to use Joomla where possible, great CMS and I'm quite good with it.Thats all just me though and it sounds like you mean hardware stuff, insides of computers are boring if you ask me, and like I've always said, I'm a software person!

I just got accepted at a college of choice in pursuit of a degree in Bachelors of Applied Computer Science (BACs) which is main software development and my professional option (can be changed later) is Game Development.xboxrulz