xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CroSpartacus

Computers As A Profession Need suggestions on a computer career

I am considering taking a career involving computers. I was wondering what kind of computer field does everyone reccomend. I have been told that Computer Engineering is the biggest thing which pays the best money. I would like to be involved with working on computer parts and learning where everything goes. Also I would like the money to be good. Anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of computer field I should take?

Well it matters, what kind of computer job would you like? I am a computer game programmer with A+ certified. A+ is a computer fixing, If you are a computer fixer you can get 20-30 an hour.

Well I am interested in how good the money pays, but I also want to enjoy my work and not be like one of those people who make lots of money, but they hate their job to the death. I'm interested in computer hardware and fixing computers, I also am interested in being involved with computer gaming.

interesting topic, going to follow it a bit, because I still don't know what do study next year.I might start programming, but I'm still not shure. There are so many things to do with computers.If I won't go with computer, I might start studying electronics.

Well what kind of skills do you have now? you might want to consider getting certified like killer here or go back to UNI and do some courses because todays world there are thousands of ppl just like you so your going to have some competition check this out for some good certifications https://www.comptia.org/ (Recently changed from .com)

I'm also thinking what to study, but I've still got time. Since I spend so much time in front of the computer - and I find it interesting - I just can't image myself doing anything else. Maybe it will be programming, maybe web design, maybe flash, 3dsmax, I don't know!@CroSpartacusAre you from Hrvatska ;)

I'm not so sure about the computer repair profession in general. I just got this new job recently and the pay is not exactly great...I like the job and all but let's just say the job I'm in won't be making much more than $30,000 at least for now.Networking should be a hot area to go into. But like James_K said earlier, there will be others looking to work in this area. If you know friends or family in this area, start learning some networking and try to get a job from them...by recommendations, etc. This may sound corny, but knowing the right people can get you the job and hopefully excel in it ;)Good luck...

Right now in Geek-Squad (A cmputer fixing business hosted by Best-Buy) I make $19 an hour, Which for just starting there, And even with the taxes that is a good wage for someone who is only 16. Computer game programming is a good path (some of the companies give up to 50 an hour and just so you know, 50 an hour is ALOT.) IF you can get employed by Valve Software, Blizzard Entertainment, EA games, ID Softwar, or Activision. Which getting employed by them is VERY unlikely for the avarage game programmer (Meaning you will most likely end up working for an Antivirus program company making 20 an hour to do service upgrades and the average system checks).

This is a question I've been facing as of late also. I love computers but am unsure of what direction to go in. I once thought it was all about the money, but now as long as I am doing anything with computers I will be happy. I just have to decide between programming and repair. My dream when I was a little younger was to open my own repair place, so that's where I am leaning. But there is still a little toss up there. I love to code things too. I will have to do a little soul searching I think.

Yes I am, born in US though, but still Hrvat :D

Hey, im from Croatia too B)
Anyway, Im guessing that you understand and read croatian, take a look at my colledge's webpage, and see what they have to offer (link to my colledge). Im having just 6 more exams till my diploma if graphic design... ;) and I must admit it's a good paying job... ;)

THis is a good time to be going into university for any computer related work really. Computer Science and other entrance rates have dropped significantly over the last few years in alot of places and they don't look to be increasing anytime soon. There was a huge burst during the .com boom and whatnot but now its mostly just people who are actually interested in the stuff. This means as the markets grow and less people go into the field, we'll assumedly have an easier time landing an acceptable job.But yea computers are here to stay and will keep becomming more prevalent in society. So they'll always need to be fixed, always need new software, and always need new people to design the hardware... any field you want to enter is doable you just need to do the one you think you will enjoy the most.

I am considering taking a career involving computers. I was wondering what kind of computer field does everyone reccomend. I have been told that Computer Engineering is the biggest thing which pays the best money. I would like to be involved with working on computer parts and learning where everything goes. Also I would like the money to be good. Anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of computer field I should take?

The best field for you would be one that you have an interest in doing not for the paycheck, but because the work is enjoyable. What's hot right now might not be very big at all by the time you finish any training that's required to make decent money in that field.

A good way to learn basic things, and get to know a little about various computer-related professions, is to make friend with people who are already in the field. They'll be able to tell you what they like and don't like about their jobs and what they do at work all day.