xisto Community
philbrennan537

Windows Vista Discussions

We all know that the Vista is still in the beta stages. I just downloaded and installed the beta version and oh man, let me tell you one thing. Microsoft is good at designing the os. It really looks damn pretty. The interface is very very good and still easy for a begineer to operate. But one negative of the vista is that it is damn slow even on 512 mb ram and 3 ghz core. maybe its due to the beta version lets hope the final release is much much faster and less buggy.....

Where can I get Vista beta from? I tried searching on p2p... any other methods?By the way, I believe that MS is planning for the next big jump, and that will be through Human-Computer Natural Interface. They are planning to build AI Based OS that will be able to talk to a user and do the deeds for him. This is what Bill Gates terms as the next big evolution in Interfaces.Actually even I am making my final year project on Human/Comp Interface, so really started wondering about the MS proposition. If MS does come out with a truly functional Human/Computer Natural Interface, I think it will make sure that the "casual user" base that MS holds today, would be still held for many more years to come. To counter such a threat, Linux world will have to make a move now itself.Since I am making my proj on .NET (which can evidently compile on Mono 1.0, tested it) I have a proj idea. Will post it on Antilost.com.

ok, even though I know where to get these Vista leaks, but I'm not allowed to tell you under Internation Law, but Windows Vista Beta 2 is going to be made PUBLIC.@abhi...: Windows Vista's minimum specifications requires you to have AT LEAST 512 MB TO EVEN BOOT AND RUN WINDOWS VISTA.My prediction, Windows Vista will not be out Q1 2007 and they say waiting 6 months for Windows 95 was a big deal, how bout now w/ Vista :lol:Good thing I get bleeding edge technology from Linux.xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

Notice from szupie:

Overview
Windows Vista has many new features, such as an updated graphical user interface dubbed Aero, improved searching technology, a number of new security features, and completely redesigned networking, audio, print and display sub-systems. Vista also aims to increase the level of communication between machines on a home network using peer-to-peer technology, making it easy to share files, password settings, and digital media between computers and devices. For developers, Vista also has an entirely new development API, called WinFX, based on the .NET framework, which aims to make it significantly easier for developers to write high-quality applications than with WinFX's predecessor, Win32. The Enterprise edition of Vista is expected to include Microsoft's Virtual PC technology, so that line-of-business applications that are incompatible with Vista can still be used in a fashion similar to how Mac OS X's "Classic" mode supported older Macintosh applications.

According to Jim Allchin, the co-President at Microsoft responsible for Windows Vista, there are over one thousand new features and technologies being introduced. In many ways, as Bill Gates has said, Windows Vista will be the broadest and biggest update since Windows 95, which was released twelve years prior to the expected release date of Vista.

Microsoft's primary stated goal with Vista, however, has been to improve the state of security in the Windows operating system. Amongst the many common criticisms of Windows XP, the most significant has been its security vulnerabilities, and an overall susceptibility to malware, viruses and buffer overflows. In light of this, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates announced in early 2002 a company-wide Trustworthy Computing initiative which aims to incorporate security work into every aspect of software development at the company. This had the effect of significantly delaying the development of Vista, as Microsoft prioritized improving the security of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 above finishing the next version of the operating system.

For more information do contact Solutions4u @ rohanramanath@gmail.com

It may be true that Vista will be more of a resource hog than XP, but that's the nature of every OS and system. You start simple then start adding, and adding, and adding, and adding, and...well you get the point. I mean look at Slackware 2 and most main stream distros today. I think I got Slackware to run on a 386 more than ten years ago (might have been a 486) with 4MB of Ram and a 500MB HDD. I don't think I could do that today with any main stream distro today even to just load a shell enviroment. Same with with OSX. Every year get a new OS, every 4 years get a new computer to run it on. I'm just glad to see the Mac Mini's at $600, pretty cheap to use and toss every couple years. Or now days, use and then add to the Xgrid until it dies.

yes, of course operating systems are evolving and taking more resource but not as a radical leap from 64 MB requirement to 512MB. That's just insane. Even my old 500 Mhz can run Windows XP, now, the minimum requirement is 2.0 GHz at least.This is just insane.xboxrulz

Personally, as the average consumer(well a little more than average) I want something that looks good and also works good. Well Windows has the first part down but not the second. That is why I perfer I perfer Suse Linux.....it has both down, along with more functionality. I mean Bill doesn't want people buying or using anything for his system without paying him for it. I mean look at how he tries to make you buy a copy of xp for every computer in your house. Thats just crazy...if i buy it once i should be able to put it on all my computers....its like they treat us as thiefs with our own software. I'm a gamer and i'm not going to buy a game that i can only install onto one computer and thats it. I want to install it on any computer i have so that I can play it on all of them. Thats my right as a consume who has purchased the software isn't it. Then it cost so much so its not like I have the money to buy 4 copies. Microsuck can take itself and shove off. I'll stick to linux and the sort. All i need now to make me happy is support for my wireless cards for my laptop and i'll be happy until then i have to use xp on it. And to be truthful I didn't pay for my xp on it I burned a friends copy and use it. Linux is the future.

Not everyone can go a head with your opinion, Linux might me secure, fast and so on...but sure enough its'nt user friendly, when it comes to user friendly issues, Micro$oft is the best. Not every newbie or beginner can install that suse linux of yours and even use it. Linux is not meant for people who dont know much about computers and security. Its kind of difficult using it. I had a hard time installing linux in 1999 as there were very few manuals on linux/unix.

Not that I completely disagree with you, I have to admit the Micro$oft knows all the ways of removing the last surviving cent in your pocket for the software. Ok, I bought one, and now I have 2 Desktops and 1 Laptop at home and I cant install that XP on all my systems, what a shity thing is that?

For now I seem to be using Windows Vista on all my systems and I am hanging on with it. Just waiting for its realease. Lets just hope Bill make vista a freeware. I meant only hope, I know it will never become true.

it is not true that Linux is not "user-friendly". It is quite user friendly. Yet, if you say idiot-proof ... Micro$oft is great at that. Even right now running Mac OS X, it's pretty idiot-proof too. Yet, Linux did evolve a lot since 1999.xboxrulz

I don't see why are they forcing the gpu to work instead of the processor just to get an OS to run...In my experience it was the gpu usually that let me down first performance wise rather than the processor...though I suppose in desktop applications it'll be utilizing that spare processing power that is usually unused. Still...I am not sure I want all this eye candy at the cost of system performance. XP was a nice upgrade mainly cause of its relative stability as compared to 98, not so much because of its graphical improvements...Forcing graphical improvements is kinda dumb.

I guess I just don't like the fact that I have to buy a Direct X 9 capable card with at least 128 mb ram if i want to run it at a decent resolution. Not that I can't afford it...just that it seems that it's making things unnecessarily difficult for a small improvement in eye candy. Bill Gates talks about helping third world countries...how can you help them when you force them to change OS and hardware every now and then when it is not absolutely needed?

Not to mention...the crappy thing that those of us who have shelled out on a good monitor probably have to get a new monitor to see licensed high definition tv.....You now need a HDCP compliant monitor..which is not even remotely available nowadays...So wait before you shell out on a new monitor.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Total rubbish....Makes you hate licensed material more rather than promote people to abandon piracy in my opinion. I really hope the pirates win this one.

ACtually, windows 95 from 3.1 was a big difference in more than just the GUI. 3.1 did not really support protected mode, it half did, while 95 is a true protected mode OS (which is why BSOD happens so frequently). And that was just the biggest difference. But yes, Vistajust seems like XP with Aero, although more mixtures of XP, like, XP Pro MCE and stuff like that.~Viz

about HDCP, it's the monitor version of TCPA. Which means, we will have a lot more restrictions as the users and the corporation gets all the freedom to restrict our will on the computer. Which in fact is violating the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom (if I'm reading my copy of the charter correctly). Also, I think it violates the Universal Declaration of Human Rights "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood." I don't think the corporations are giving us our rights as users to do whatever we want as long as it's legal.xboxrulz

about HDCP, it's the monitor version of TCPA. Which means, we will have a lot more restrictions as the users and the corporation gets all the freedom to restrict our will on the computer. Which in fact is violating the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom (if I'm reading my copy of the charter correctly). Also, I think it violates the Universal Declaration of Human Rights "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood." I don't think the corporations are giving us our rights as users to do whatever we want as long as it's legal.
xboxrulz

They would probably say that whatever we do without HDCP is 'illegal' lol...

But actually this isn't Microsoft's fault, it's something that has been in the works by those people producing the media though I guess they are partly to blame for agreeing to implement it.

But bah at human rights...especially the 'act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood' seems more like some drivel rather than having any legal force. I don't think the Universal Declaration of Human Rights has any legal effect anyway. It's just some symbolic thing...which is basically keeping those Human Rights lawyers employed.

Personally, as the average consumer(well a little more than average) I want something that looks good and also works good. Well Windows has the first part down but not the second. That is why I perfer I perfer Suse Linux.....it has both down, along with more functionality. I mean Bill doesn't want people buying or using anything for his system without paying him for it. I mean look at how he tries to make you buy a copy of xp for every computer in your house. Thats just crazy...if i buy it once i should be able to put it on all my computers....its like they treat us as thiefs with our own software. I'm a gamer and i'm not going to buy a game that i can only install onto one computer and thats it. I want to install it on any computer i have so that I can play it on all of them. Thats my right as a consume who has purchased the software isn't it. Then it cost so much so its not like I have the money to buy 4 copies. Microsuck can take itself and shove off. I'll stick to linux and the sort. All i need now to make me happy is support for my wireless cards for my laptop and i'll be happy until then i have to use xp on it. And to be truthful I didn't pay for my xp on it I burned a friends copy and use it. Linux is the future.Maybe you`re right but first i have to try all of the operation system .. whatever ... :P

sadly, international laws says that any company has the right to set their own licenses. For example, the M$ EULA states that you must purchase a valid "copy" (really, a license to RUN the software, you don't even own the software, you just have the right to run it).

Also, u should read this: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

xboxrulz