xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
irwan6179

AMD: Temperature Problems help me

Howdy folks......My sis using AMD Sempron if i'm not wrong. Lately her pc giving some kinda funny beeps n cannot reboot. So.. we brought to the shop n change the motherboard ( Accordin to the shop people).After that./... brought it back.. want to try to install windows XP... problem... said some missing system file. I think the cd no problem bcos i used it many times to format my other comp.One main problem is... the CPU temperature was super high. We turn it on just 15-20 mins in an air-conditioned room.... n the temp was already over 70 degrees.....This i believe shouldn't happen. I am using an AMD 64.... and there is no problems. Even if i on the pc whole day n turn off the air cond... my syst only around 4x++ deg. My hard disk will be a lil hot though... around 50++.Wat's the burning point of a system anyway? 80 Degrees?

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

I think you should check up and see if the processor fan is working or not. Go into the BIOS setup and see under the 'Hardware Monitor'. I use an AMD 2600+ at college and an AMD 2000+ at home and the cpu fan is never below 3500rpm. I've had to replace the fan twice at home.I'm not sure of the burning point, but if the system is working fine, then there shouldn't be any reason for alarm. Whenever my processor gets overheated, it hangs up. But once I reboot, it works fine again. It happened a couple of times at home when I was playing Quake 3 because of improper cooling, but after underclocking the system, I didn't have anymore problems.

in my experience i have had systems fry under 70 degrees....so i went into bios and changed the setting (which my bios supports - most should) so that if my cpu gets over 60 degrees it will automaticly shut down. i also use cpu cool and monitor it so that if it does get a little hot i can shut it down...or the program. anyways, i have also had problems with xp cds bringing up that error saying that there is a missing system file. it is not the cd, however, it is the cd drive. every time i had that error. it was usualy on an older cd drive (mostly burners) and i just replaced with a newer better drive and it worked fine. as for your overheating problems. you said you took it into a shop. you might want to check to see if they attached the heatsink properly. and if all your fans are working. my p4 almost got fried just because the cpu fan came unplugged, got to almost 80 degrees, and i have about 5 fans in my system. but just try replacing the cd drive...even if its only for the installation of windows. and check the heatsink and fan....hope that helps :mellow:

djees, hard post to read :) Anyway, the "bruning" point is realy high, somewhere up to 200°c or something, but stability problems can occur when the cpu is at a certain temp (it depends on the cpu how much it can go above the recommended max. temp).As abhiram said, check you cpu fan, if it's running, then check how warm the heatsink realy is (when it's at "70°c").If you can't touch it, than it's realy too hot and you should get a new heatsink or fan.If not, than temp reading might be wrong OR the heatsink isn't properly installed (no heat is being move from cpu to heatsink).Other than that, you memory or hdd may be corrupted. You can check the memory by using Memtest68 and you hdd by using a tool from the hdd manufacturer (you can find it on their site).

Well, here's a lil tip :)I noticed my CPU was running pretty hot, (54°C average with only Firefox, Thunderbird, Winamp (with DFX), all those messengers running, so no big programs to make my CPU peak. For the record, the CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 3400+. So I took another look on the inside of my case :) It's pretty LOL (sorry - I am a girl after all, and a matte black Motherboard with red metallic Graph. Card is nice) And I noticed a very dirty CPU fan, so I used cotton swabs slightly wet (UNPLUG THE PC FROM THE POWER!!!) and carefully cleaned it. Then I noticed a very dusty heatsink, so carefully (with shaking knees) I removed the fan and cleaned it thoroughly with those cotton swabs (take a new one each swipe - to avoid making it more dusty) and then carefully cleaned up the heatsink. It seems to help :) The temp s still fairly high (50°C) but it's a bit better, for now it will have to do. I don't have the funds for a sweet heatsink and fan. But I would also look into the dusty-ness of the fan and heatsink, since it can cause the airflow to be less "flowy".

Yea cleaning the cpu fan/heat spreaders can help a fair bit. I'd also reccomend adding a fan or two if there is only like one fan in the case. Having some pulling in air and another pushing it out creates a nice airflow through the case and keeps it cooled alot better in my experience. I had an issue with mine running at about 60-65 when I'd run games and it would crash the system as it was hitting my bios set shutdown points... but I added one intake fan to the front and have one out fan on the back and now it runs a good 5-10 degrees lower at all times and heat dissapeates at an exponentially faster rate.

Bah with all of that. If your gonna do something I say go all out.

Damn it, what socket is that processor? Half of em have 462 pins and the other half has 754.

Well if it's socket 754...

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/

Lol that might be a little too much for the normal user but maybe you should get a new one if the old one is giving you trouble.

Hmmmm... Maybe it's just the fan that broke. You could take off the old fan and replace it with a high rpm fan. If the thing still gives you trouble you could keep the new fan and get a new heat sink to match it. I think that's the best advice I can give without being there.

seems like there no reply coming from Irwan, maybe the computer burnt his hous down :) No, no, I'm just kiddin' :) Another useful tip to prevent dusty hsf's is to ad some dustfilters on the in- and outtake fans. It could be anything, like panty's, or gauze (the one you use to keep fly's outside), ...You'll only have to check them once in a while, because if you have a dusty house, it'll be stuffed in no time.

Nah, if it was just dust it wouldn't be this bad. I have a feeling the fan got worn out or something so it's under operating. But I suppose it could be dust but nah… It would have to be caked on so thick. That wouldn’t happen unless you lived in dustville.

You replaced the motherboard.Did you seperate the heat sink from the CPU direing the process ???If yes, then you should clean off the Thermal Paste, and re-place it.Whewn you remove the heat sink, then re-place it, air bubbles get between the CPU and the heat sink. Air bubbles are insulators, and stop heat from moving from the CPU into the Fan.Thermal paste is very cheap, about £0.5 at my local computer shop.Remove the heat sink, clean the old thermal greece off with a tissue and a tiny ammount of solvent.use your finger in a pllastic bag to spread new thermal paste over the metal heat sink as THINLY as possable.. the less you use the better.Then place a small blob of paste into the middle of the CPU.about a half the size of a pea.Push the heat sink down onto the cpu firmly.This will ensure that no air bubbles come between the CPU and heat sink.With high quality thermal paste, and stock cooling, my Amd64 3400+ with cool 'n' quiel enabled runs at 32 degrees idle, 45 degrees under high load.

Guys - take it from an experienced AMD user - I'd brought this up earlier on too but simply got flamed... Whatever people say, AMD Processors generate an immense amount of heat - way more than it's intel counterparts. At one point of time I was a die-hard AMD fan, but after 6 burnt cores down the line I switched over to Intel and have lived happily ever after. This doesn't mean AMD's are bad in any way - just suffers from an extremely hot head :) All my intel boards have a cool temperature (3 system zones - CPU, near Fan 1 and near Fan 2) + fan speed monitoring utility - where you can set autoshutdown thresholds to prevent core burns. I keep checking the temperature there quite frequently. Even in the extreme tropical summers of thailand - with just a pedestal fan running in the room, the core temperature never exceeds 52C - which I consider amazing. Now that the temperature has gone down with approaching winter, my core temp never goes beyond 45-48max. As for the other Zones - 1 & 2 - the temps are happily kept below 35C. Also one factor which I always stress on - if you are into heavy usage and want your system to serve you for long stretches as well as have a long life, go for big bulky tower cabinets with plenty of room inside and the boards/devided all well spread out. This helps a tonne in dissipating the heat - as against the compact and fancy cabinets. Also increase the number of fans, if you MB/Cabinet supports it. My present system has 3 fans, excluding the one on the CPU. At least can't say my baby's hot headed :)

wow... thats confusing.

my Athlon64 3400+ with stock cooling, and a unde-volted case fan, new thermal paste, and cool n quiet enabled runs at 28 - 32 degrees idle.

45 degrees flat out.

I can put my hand into the hase, onto the hea sink, and feel no heat.

However, i do Live in England, And its raining right now :)
so ambiant tempreture is low.

However, i have only used AMD-Thunderbird, AMD Athlon-XP and AMD Athlon64.
And Intels Pentium3.

Maybe its some strange voodoo, who knows.

Guys - take it from an experienced AMD user - I'd brought this up earlier on too but simply got flamed.

I dont know why i had to reply.
Maybe its just web-forum psychology.

If someone posted about the sky beeing blue, i would probably feel obliged to inform them that in my experiance, the sky is usually grey, dull, and full of rain.

What predictable creatures we are :)