xisto Community
sparx

1 Tb = 1024 Gb Mailbox, Ad-free Another new mail service

So next time something comes along saying that they offer 20Tb of data storage, just ask yourself, why are they doing this? It's obviously not out of the good of their heart's.

I doubt if Gmail was out of Googles plain genorosity either, don't kid yourself!

I would say that 1 tera is the administrative limit for a user. Exactly like on Xisto your limit is 150 Megs. I have reached the 1gig limit on other sites, they say "1 gig per user" and my account stopped storing pictures as soon as the 1 gig limit was reached.So, accounting limits exist. "No limit" would not be a serious limit. And "1 tera" is a way of saying "reasonably unlimited".

So next time something comes along saying that they offer 20Tb of data storage, just ask yourself, why are they doing this? It's obviously not out of the good of their heart's.

I doubt if Gmail was out of Googles plain genorosity either, don't kid yourself!

1064327790[/snapback]

If Google try any funny business, then they will have millions of law-suits against them. Unlike this new 1Tb host, nobody would be able to track them down and sue them.

No company does anything out of the goodness of their hearts. They do it to earn respect and gain that foothold in the world. Google are very good at this (and MS are failing miserably).

Wow thats just unbeliveable...I mean if this were true, there servers would not only have to be huge, they would have to be fast. And it doesnt seem too fast for me ;) And if they have no ads how exacty are they making any money??? Even gmail has ads.....

As I've mentioned earlier, adopt a wait-and-watch policy -- do not be quick to jump to conclusions. If the company does make it and is succesful, no harm done - you've got your 1 TB mailbox, if not... I'm sure you had enough foresight especially after reading all the posts in this thread and others NOT to make any one service your primary repository of emails.So far, I'm pleased to report that they're doing well technically - emails are being sent and delivered on time. Scheduled maintenance outages are intimated to users before hand and they seem to stick to their plans with only one outage taking longer than planned but without any loss to emails.I also like the ability to change skins/themes.With regards to the question - "How can they afford it?" - They've recently offered a paid version of their service wherein, for approximately US$20 one can get full SMTP access and better antivirus and spam protection.

Some of the other features might be useful, but what possible use could a human being have for a terabyte of email storage?

I suspect that it's a gimmick, and therefore don't trust them.  They know very well that the overwhelming majority of users will come nowhere near using a terabyte of space, and I'm sure that they just don't have anything near a terabyte of space available for any reasonable number of users.  Which is not quite honest.

As I said, this kind of thing makes me suspicious.  They'll start lying to us by means of insignificant half-truths, and who knows what they'll do next.

1064325169[/snapback]

I sort of agree with Cassandra. I mean, you can do tons of things with one TERABYTE of space and instead, give it away for free? No advertisements? Anti-virus and spam protection? Extra services? Wow, it seems like one of those very hard-to-believe scam schemes.

I suspect too that it's a gimmick or some scam. I'll just stick with GMail because it's a bigger corporation which is more trusted by milions of users. However, I still do not understand how they can afford such a big storage space that increases every second. ;)

I've been using it for almost a year now, It works just fine for me. And I like it alot. I have my HD backed up on it just incase anything happens to my computer, You CAN send and receive email messages. It may get slow from time to time but hey, A Terabyte for free, How can you go wrong?