xisto Community
ZeroHawk

Dragons Were They Really Alive?

One of the most common, and certainly the most debatable question in circulation over dragons is, "do they exist?". Despite being repeatedly asked, a satisfactory conclusion has never really been offered. The reason is primarily because everyone has a different viewpoint on dragon existence, and due to the controversial nature of the topic, we have so far only really been faced with contradiction. To date, theories regarding dragon existence have ranged from a physical, literal presence; the idea that dragons used to roam the earth but were wiped out by chivalrous knights or human advances. Others believe that dragons are little more than a mixture of the untamed forces of nature and human imagination, or that dragons exist on the astral plane, or that they have found their home in our imaginations.However, this is more likely to be a cultural similarity [the forehead is a very generic area], rather than anything to do with the dragons themselves.)Also, when we really look at the "dragons" of the ancient world, we see that they are in fact little more than modified serpents; such as Quetzalcoatl (or Kukulkan the "Plumed Serpent"), Jormungand or the Mother Serpent. Not only this, but classing some creatures under the dragon title is subjective because the term is not inclusive.This is not to say that dragons themselves could never have existed, it merely means the logic that dragons must have existed "because they are found all over the world" isn't accurate. If we concentrate on the idea that dragons physically, in their most literal sense did once roam the world (and that's why they feature so regularly in mythology and folklore), then we can instead take a look at why they no longer co-exist with us. There are two standing theories detailing their disappearance or exinction, and they both focus on human intervention

RIGHT OR WRONG

are they real or not real, is that the? who has proof, who doesnt have proof.  and please tell me, if you do, its not some 3000 year old chaulk drawing on a lime stone wall hidden a dark cave. I'm goin out on a limb and sayin they did, but they werent the creatures we've been told about. All the proof depics a livin animal with wings (possible). All the proof shows they were large (possible) all the proof shows they had large rear legs (possible), all the proof shows they had small front legs (possible), but there's 1 thing about these animals that in no way shape or form breathed fire. Bull crap. Even the idea of this being possible is funny. I think the creature existed during the age of dino's, it was large, had wings, the whole nine yards, just not the fire. Please if one of these did exist at any point in time on this earth somebody some where would of found 1. Weve aperantly found everything else whiped up in the weird minds of society, thanks

I second that @Norm35 ... Nomatter how much time I myself read, did my own research about the dragons and did they really do existed but up to this date...Nothing can really prove they really do exist...They even mentioned on animal planet, that the story on "dragons" were actually "made up" ...How'd I wish dragon did really existed... Sad..

Animal Planet: Did dragons really exist? If so, did they really fly andBreathe fire? Dr. Peter J. Hogarth is a biologist who has explored these veryQuestions through years of research. Chat with Dr. Hogarth about your dragonSpeculations, and ask about the history and habits of the dragons in the AnimalPlanet special Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real.

Dr. Hogarth: I'm glad to be here. I hope you enjoyed the show, andI'd be happy to answer any questions you have about dragons. Togusa: Now is this show based on actual evidence or is it beingUsed to entice our imaginations?Dr. Hogarth: Well, we did title it Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real. It's really to stimulate the imagination.We ask if they really did exist, how would they fly, how would they live. It'sBased on real animals, but it's really just a fantasy. cmdragons: Is it possible that dragon remains will ever beFound?

Dr. Hogarth: It would be nice to think they would be found. IKnow people believe in dragons, but I don't think they ever existed, and so IDon't think remains will ever be found. There are remains of extinct animalsLike dinosaurs and pterosaurs, and so there are people who think there may beRemains of dragons but, great pity, I don't think we'll ever find a dragon.

Found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

-reply by c-zar

jey sorry but i dun think so that they really exist because in discovery they just predict and not sure and also i have never seen dragons yet.......LOL

re;breathing fireDragons

there actually is a modern day animal that produces fire,the bombadier beetle produces seperate chemicals in two seperate glands in its abdomen,which it sprays from it's posterior via two ducts that are resistant to burning,it fires these two  chemicals in pulses(about 200 per second)that prevent it from shooting off like a rocket,whenthese two chemicals mix in air,they combust.You can actually see great footage of this online...The thing is,almost every culture around the world has legends or myths of dragons,, in the ancient world,when there wasn't supposed to be any real contact between these distant peoples,yet they all seem to have come up with the same "mythological"beast,,seems to me if aninsect can shoot fire out of it's *bottom*,why couldn't a dinosaur share the same trait? 

-reply by tristanswar00

it did say on that program that they found an organ in that dragon fossil that was used to collect hydregen that came of the food which inflated and made the dragon lighter, as proved with blimps that use hydrogen hydrogen is less dense than oxygen or nitrogen so it has a natural tendicency to decrease the grip gravity has on you and means you need less lift to fly. they also stated that the dragons used platinum to light the hydrogen meaning that they could breathe fire. don't forget if a creature evolves to say brethe fire than it is bound to have a protection against its own fire.

Edited by grim reaper1666 (see edit history)

I haven't had time to run through all the replies, and it's probably already been brought up but I think the komodo dragon plays a large part in the myths of the past. Although there is no record of a komodo dragon ever killing a human being, there is one account from hundreds of years ago of explorers visiting the island and observing a komodo dragon devouring an entire human male. The poor inhabitants of the islands where the komodo dragon is found have to live in huts on stilts with their livestock in pens underneath the huts. It's to prevent the dragons from getting in to the houses as they are vicious little creatures. The myth may have also come from ancient caveman drawings of dinosaurs. It's possible the knights of old discovered some caves, maybe not in England but some time during the crusades, saw pictures of flying beasts attacking and eating men and created their own stories. The possibilities of where the myth actually came from is endless, and without any real hard evidence or information on its origins we can only really speculate as to what the truth may be. It's obvious though that dragons never actually existed, at least not as we know them today. The earliest possible account of where the myth may have started from cave drawings, before that there was no inteliigent being capable of creating anything we are able to interpret. Also, since we have discovered most of what has been buried in the ground from that era the likelihood of finding anything remotely like a dragon is geeting more and more unlikely. It really would be interesting to know where the myth was originated, but I guess we'll never know.

Everything changes with time. To explain the existence of the dragons I am giving the example of a language. A language do not remains as such after two or three centuries and their are many changes in it which if heard by the people two or three centuries old would not be understood.The dragon portrait of today is also sure to have been changed much. A poster said that the dragons are too big too fly but who knows that they were that big. It is more probable that they have been made big by human exaggeration. It is possible that there existed small animals similar to dragons in the far past. But the main point is that the portrait presented today cannot be true as everything changes with time

It amazes me on how people are so closed minded.

Well let me just say this.

although I am young, I have a logical mind. When it comes to dragons, I'm a maybe. One on the fence. I say maybe because we havent 100% explored the world to say dragons don't exist. We don't know whats out there, nor what evolution can create. For me, I believe to believe. You gotta hold onto something. I am maybes when it comes to God, aliens, ghosts and even afterlife. You just don't know if these things exist. As for dragons, well, occasionally I stare up into the sky, look at the clouds, and hope. Hope that maybe, just maybe, I'll see a dragon.

Think what you may, dragons might just exist. Most people need hard evidence to believe, but me...I just hope. Its not about the hard facts, or how much evidence is agaisnt their existence today...Its just about hoping that you may see one.

Thank you for reading.

-reply by mrcomment

dragonsDragons

First things first I don't care what some "person"said there is NO real proof that dragons never exsestied I do believe that they were real and they say that it may be if there had never had been real then people wouldent have made them up so pls give me so real info on how they can be real and they lived in firey places so some thing may have changed over time to let them asorb it so hahaha I believe/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley14.Gif!1!  /txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley10.Gif

-reply by loveheart

IDK, again, I think it is possible that they existed, because most nations in the world had them. Now, I am thinking of sharks, and the most we find of them usally, is their teeth. So what if... Dragons had bones made of cartilage, and the species did not reproduce much, because of the hostility from early humans, and were not able to find enough food in the wild to sustain their existance. If one died, then scavengers would clean it, and whats left would vanish if it was cartilage.

-reply by Someone Tookthisname

tard oDragons

Replying to Kid SaiyanLet's modify your sentiment slightly: Because we can't prove that X doesn't exist, justifies belief in its existence. That's like saying that because I can't prove the flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist, it must. It's the fallacy of ignorance my friend, and it's not worth your time.

-reply by Kris