xisto Community
HTML_Guru

Googlewhacking Its simply addicting

I'm not sure if anyone's heard of Googlewhacking, but it is very addicting. Let me explain - Googlewhacking is the process of inputing two words (not too long or not too short; no quotations) in the Google search engine, and seeing if that search brings only one result. To elaborate: one puts in two words that aren't long or short and aren't surrounded in quotations, hits ENTER, and views the result. If only one webpage or PDF or one result shows up, you have a Googlewhack!

It's gotten so big now that there is a website on it, http://www.googlewhack.com/ and one main Googlewhack guy was even on the Tonight Show w/ Jay Leno at one point!

You guys should really try it out!

For more information and rules, go to http://www.googlewhack.com/

Hmmm, I can't understand how this could land somebody on the tonight show, but I think I myself have googlewacked quite a few times ;).I honestly can't understand how this is addictive though...People truely need to spend their time better.One thing is fad could probably do though...Is send a message to google telling them to further improve their amazing search engine capabilities ;).

I haven't seen the Tonight show but my guess is the guy who was on the tonight show must have been Dave Gorman since he's the only person I know who's become a celebrity because of Googlewhacking.

He's actually been on an adventure all across the globe for finding Googlewhacks (or to be more precise, finding people who find Googlewhacks) for a year. I have seen a video of his stand up comedy show (Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure) which he did in Australia and I must say, it's absolutely hilarious. The guy is amazing. If you want to get started on Googlewhacking, you must watch this video. ;)

i totally saw that tonight show episode with the dude that googlewhacks... it was pretty funny...

Actually, I tend to become mildly annoyed (to say the least) when I only get one result for my searches. Especially if the result actually has nothing to do with what I'm trying to find.But that's been my problem for years - and now people have turned that frustration into a game of sorts? Interesting. A weird fad that will probably die out in a few months if you ask me, but interesting nonetheless.

Hmm... I doubt it... the fad has just started not to long ago and because of it's sheer popularity, I would say that it has quite a few years before in ends in the "fad" sewer, along with the yo-yo and Pok'e-mon (why won't Pok'e-mon just die already?!). I actually have posted a few genuine Googlewhacks myself, though they have definetly been replaced already.Googlewhacking... it's the stuff of legends.

Hmm... I doubt it... the fad has just started not to long ago and because of it's sheer popularity, I would say that it has quite a few years before in ends in the "fad" sewer, along with the yo-yo and Pok'e-mon (why won't Pok'e-mon just die already?!).  I actually have posted a few genuine Googlewhacks myself, though they have definetly been replaced already.

Googlewhacking... it's the stuff of legends.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That depends on what you call "not too long ago". My first googlewhack must have been at least a year ago. After looking at the site it appears that googlewhacking has already been around for 3 and a half years. While I aggree that it will continue for a long time yet (slowly increasing in fun as whacks get more scarce), however i disaggree that it will rise to equal the fame of pokemon. This may be because it lacks the complexity, or it may simply be because the characters of googlewhacking (eg. M, S or Z) just don't have Pikachu's charisma.

I don't know.. If you own a mildly popular website, which is visited by Google, you just put two stupid words on it and you got your google whack. Or is this cheating? Do the words have to be in the (English) dictionary?

I can certainly understand how GoogleWhacking gets addictive. The search for "THE ONE," as Gorman calls it, is so freakishly hard, but I trust it's worth it when you see that one single result! :)

I'm currently downloading the videos you guys mentioned; the Jay Leno interview, the Gorman tour, and the comedy piece. I'm using Shareaza, a P2P FileSharing program, but there seems to be a very few sources for these files, so it might take a day or two before I get them all. Expect another post when I see them. :)

I don't know.. If you own a mildly popular website, which is visited by Google, you just put two stupid words on it and you got your google whack. Or is this cheating? Do the words have to be in the (English) dictionary?

1064327116[/snapback]

the words do have to be in the english dictionary and i dont know whether the googlewhack website would allow a website with just these two words on it. It might classify it as a word list which are disqualified.