xisto Community
rantsh

Is It Normal To Be Overcharged In Astahost? I got charged 42 credits for basic plan

In adding my 2 cents as a newly hosted member I would like to say that I did the right thing unknowingly. Accumulated 34 credits, got hosted, panicked a little because I had thought I would still have 3 or 4 credits, participated in the discussions a little, and now I have a 23 days cushion pillow. All within 12 days of signing up here. Or was it 14 days? Anyway, a neglectable period of time considering what you get.curare

hmm .. to be frank, i really didnt know that the credits get lowered to 3 or 4 after getting hosted. I gave up my previous hosting (cyph3r .. hehe kill me m^e ) because i couldent keep up to the credits, i come and go once in a while because of college now. SO thought would start over, and accumulate credits ( how much ever i can ) and then apply for a hosting package. But if my credits go up to 80+ and i apply for the hosting, i assume it will drop down to 3 again ?Well in that case, i'd rather apply for hosting and just keep it. Because time is the only constrain i dont have right now. I, once in a while check the site and give my inputs and the credits keep rolling. Even though, if someone like me bothers about a post and not credits, I feel its still a little unfair to drop it down to 3, maybe 15 would do or so. I am not questioning the Admins rules, but just giving my point of view on this. If there were credits on a shoutbox , i bet i would have got more than 100 by now :P, its all about fun, and sharing knowledge. This credit thing isnt bothering me so much , i guess it shouldent bother anyone else who just wants a little time, gobbling on technology info ;)RegardsDhanesh

Nope - you don't need to drop your forum. Keep the database intact,but just wipe out the php files and start out with a fresh copy. After you've finished installing, it'll be back to it's old state. All forum softwares recognize tables from old installations and take that data up first.

1064329897[/snapback]

Hey m^e since you made it a point to state how to get back your files after the migration can you explain EXACTLY how you just erase the php files and keep the database? Am i supposed to download another copy of SMF(assuming I'm using the Simple machines forum) and delete the old files, then replace them with the new ones but leave the mysql databases alone? 'coz that would be great for my old forum that has been corrupted by parse errors too. Thanks!

ya that should work fine, after all, your posts and everything that your forums have on it is pretty much stored in your database, the only think you need to worry about is clearing your custom pagessay if you installed hacks you should keep those pages maybe if you edited some pages to ad something you really like or found an error in the code and fixed it yourself i dont know... but the posts and threads and all that is stored in the databasesas fo the topic i also think its pretty unfair that its brought down to 3, maybe not so steep (10-15) i gained 5 extra days of credit today alone and i have a nice 35 day inactivity time and i think that insted of completly depleting the credits when you get hosted you should just implement the losing 1 credit per day thing, that would be a much better solution then losing all your credits

Just from my personal experiance, with SMF, when reinstalling the Forum software, you have to start from the ground up. Personally I always put my forum software in its own directory for such occasions. As for the hacks, they have to be deleted and reinstalled one by one to the new forum, a bit teadious but I haven't been able to find a way to keep them intact when doing a reinstall.

Nope - you don't need to drop your forum. Keep the database intact,but just wipe out the php files and start out with a fresh copy. After you've finished installing, it'll be back to it's old state. All forum softwares recognize tables from old installations and take that data up first.

1064329897[/snapback]

thanks, m^e, I did that, I replaced the faulty php by the initial ones, I also had to change the server name by "localhost" instead of Xisto.com, and now everyghing works, I have all my forums working again without losing any post.

Thanks again.

And also, as you said in your "-4k" announcement, i made a backup of all my files as the site and I made a backup (using the cpanel) of each database, so in case of big crash I should be able to restart.

Sorry for having said bad things, I was rather sad when I lost my posts, now I know how I could avoid that. You are doing a really good jobs, please keep going on.

Regards

Yordan

Personally Ruben, i do not believe it is humanely possible to accumulate 370 credits in one month if you've already got hosted in Xisto unless you spam.

I accumulated 70 in the first four days I was here. New, interesting forum, a lot of interesting subjects that I never talked about before. I didn't spam (that much ^^). So, I lost 50 credits. My example still works, so what are you bothering yourself about. I lost a litte bit less.I like the host. I like the credit system. I will stay. But I think, the handling in the beginning should be rethought, that's it.