xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ConDor

Problems When I Download

noramlly computer is mine but there are 3 users, like on every computer here.When you start up yiu need to give the password of the user.Now when i am downloading and i'm gonna sleep my pc always jump over to the userpanel--> my downloads stopsProblem : most of the times you can't resume theme.My limit is 10 G in the month.I always download 1 Gig when the filezise is 1.2 Gig, --> i always lose 1 Gig for nothing

A few ?'s for you first offwhat operating system are you useing?has this always happend when u put your computer in sleep mode?is this problem one that happens every time u do this action or is it sparatic?what are the specs on your system?answer these and i will get back with you.

I found firefox to be rather unreliable when downloading large files. especially the "resume" feature, i have yet to fully download a file after resuming. --the same thing with IE, of course. then with the constant power cuts around here, and me not having a backup UPS, I find it convenient to use a download manager that will resume anywhere it gets cut off.

My guess is that he uses windowsXP and he means that after a while, the pc goes to the 'switch user-log-in screen'.And I don't think he uses IE, because: "most of the times" + "resume" means that he sometimes CAN resume, wich IE doesn't support.Try disableing (password for) you screensaver, that probably why he goes to the user view.

yeah... definitely try a downloading manager to save the file for you... but if you really want to fix that problem, i would say you have your sleep mode on.... go into display properties and look into the power management tab and turn off sleep mode... When you leave your computer too long, the computer is timed to hibernate after a certain amount of time (depending on the windows default settings)...Once you turn that off, the computer will stay active and stay to download your files... if not, itll just shut the whole computer down to sleep...Chin chin...

Normally when you put your computer into sleep mode or hibernate mode it powers down the CPU, and you need your CPU to process incoming data while you are downloading, so while what everybody else was saying here about setting your computer to stay awake on its own is true, we should also mention that you should not manually put it into sleep or hibernate mode while you are downloading anything because all open TCP connections will be timed out.

Although he has not replied so far but I think his OS is windows XP and some setting is switching back the computer in the login screen. Download manager will definalty improve the situation. I use metaproducts download express and it is vert good and free.