xisto Community
half1405241509

Man Dies From Playing World Of Warcraft Gaming? Harmful?

This is just... Sad, that someone would devote their time fully to a game, a fictional world, this seems to me the kind of person who was trying to escape the real world, he is probably the kind of person you read about who attempts to totally isolate themselves from the real world by playing in a new world with other people, where much of the real world, and real issues and problems are left behind for new ones that are much easier to fix... I play a game called City of Villains and City of Heroes quite a bit, and a good number of my posts are about it, yet I don't think I'd ever go without eating, or drinking, or doing enything for myself for more than 3 hours a day, this is because I don't see any reasons I'd need to escape from reality.

I was reading the paper today about a man in South Korea who went on a 50 hour binge playing World of Warcraft and died of heart failure, caused by dehydration and starvation.  Can video games become so engrossing that it numbs all effects such as hunger, thirst, or pain?  It's hard to believe that he would not grab something to eat after playing for a little over 2 days straight.  The article said that this kind of thing happens all the time in South Korea, not to the extreme of dying though.  South Korea's connectivity to the world is very high, very close to the United States if not passed it.  Their leaps in technology have made the internet a necessity which is both a good and bad thing.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I just thought it was interesting :-P.

1064320835[/snapback]

havent you noticed that when you are playing sometimes you just tune everything out, you dont get that hungry or thirsty, you spend more time without going to the bathroom, sometimes you ignore people or get annoyed when they draw your attention

it is numbing to play games. i wouldnt do it very often if i wanted to be a happy person

I personally play several online games, and I do feel addicted to them. The purpose of online games are simple: To make money. Therefore, they are designed to get people addicted to them and spend more time in the game. Online games are like communities where people get together and chat while having fun. It's rather addicting to me, and I'm trying to not let it consume too much of my time.

It can happen and it did. People who are so into their tasks forget the feel of hunger, drowsiness, and all other ones. I was playing ghost recon once and i got so into it i couldn't stop. the games were long but they seemed so short because of the excitement. my uncle is a programmer and he forgets to eat because he lost his appetite from it. he skipped meals during the day if the problem is big in the scripts. so yeah, it can happen.

Wow, what is the world coming to when a man dies from playing a computer game. Whilst I can understand that some games can be quite addictive and hard to leave the computer for - how can someone play a game for 50 hours straight? That is just beyond belief!And you'd think even the biggest World Of Warcraft fan would leave at some point to at least eat or goto sleep!Then again it's also quite likely that the story is all made up and never happened.Either way it's and interesting debate - can a computer game kill you?

I guess it can kill you by starving you to death because you're so addicted to it. But it is rare for someone to play non-stop a game for 50 hours, that's more than 2 days without eating and sleeping. I think it is made up because some people survived a week without eating.

I guess it can kill you by starving you to death because you're so addicted to it. But it is rare for someone to play non-stop a game for 50 hours, that's more than 2 days without eating and sleeping. I think it is made up because some people survived a week without eating.

EXACTLY!

This guy had other problems that was given to him before he started playing the game. Maybe he played the game out of depression or something, who knows. There's more to this than the information given, I'm sure of that. If someone would be able to do a decent investigation on it they'd know the real truth. Maybe the police are getting paid not to say anything and make it seem like games are to blame B) Crazy world I tell you >_<

I was reading the paper today about a man in South Korea who went on a 50 hour binge playing World of Warcraft and died of heart failure, caused by dehydration and starvation. Can video games become so engrossing that it numbs all effects such as hunger, thirst, or pain? It's hard to believe that he would not grab something to eat after playing for a little over 2 days straight. The article said that this kind of thing happens all the time in South Korea, not to the extreme of dying though. South Korea's connectivity to the world is very high, very close to the United States if not passed it. Their leaps in technology have made the internet a necessity which is both a good and bad thing.
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I just thought it was interesting :-P.

I can't believe that anyone intelligent believes this . It is just like years ago when people claimed rock and roll could influence you to kill yourself , or when people claimed the game Dungeons & Dragons was responsible for a boy killing himself . as setient beings we make choices if you choose to ignore your bodies needs then you will die simple as that . and if you choose to die because of some outside influence ,My opinion is that you must be in need of removal from the genetic pool anyway . Nothing can make anyone do anything . We choose our own path .

As was mentioned previously, it's mental/psychological factors which resulted in the man's death as opposed to the game having some sort of voodoo-effect on him. Some people are more prone to addictive personalities than others. That is to say, developing strong emotional addictions in regard to any number of things. Commonly we hear of those addicted to gambling and, recently, even the internet. Gaming is no different, especially for those whose 3D lives are distinctly lacking in appeal. When it comes to on-line multi-player games people are able to obtain a certain status which may make them feel less like miserable failures, or, depending on their motivation, simply offer a means of escaping reality. Unfortunately, for those who utilise multi-player games like WoW (World of Warcraft) to feel better about themselves become caught in a destructive pattern, as in order to retain their status they are forced to pay excessive attention to the game on a regular basis. People take this very seriously. I know someone who paid his parents a year's rent and proceeded to move into the basement so he could play WoW all day. He seldom comes up to eat, and his friends never see him any more. It's also important to consider that those people who literally cannot pry themselves away from the computer because they are so dependent on whatever it has to offer have a very real and very serious problem, symptoms of which can include the following:- Irritability while away from the computer/video game system.- Skipping school or work in order to get their 'fix'.- Neglecting family and friends.- Experiencing cravings to play the game.Most importantly, they are unable to stop themselves or quell their behaviour without assistance. If you have experienced these things for yourself or know someone you suspect may be devoting themselves entirely to an alternate reality, please seek help or offer your assistance.

that is really sad. a horrible story. it's also horribly ironic. i cant really think of what to say other than why was he along without someone noticing for 50 hours. thats probably the most worrying part. no wonder his life was only computer games. he needed someone looking out for him. someone real.

I guess I could see it happening. I know people who have lost their jobs due to being addicted to MMO's. I'm pretty sure that two days of no food or water wouldn't be enough to kill most people, but if he already had heart problems I suppose it's possible.

And, as others have said, I don't think the news article was insinuating that WoW was the cause of death. But that his death was an indirect result of his addiction to WoW.

look these days.. you can die from just about anything....lke a candy stick... it's bannes at schools because it posses a choking hazard....once fun now harmful ..whats happening?