xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sarah81

Notebook Or Laptop? Whats the difference, if anything?

Okay - now that I've started thinking about "laptop" and "notebook," I have a question for anyone who might be able to explain.Is there a difference, or is it just a matter of two terms describing the same thing? If there's a difference, what is it? Now that I'm wondering about it, it's going to bug me for the rest of the day! *grins*

I guess it depends. Sometimes you might use the two terms interchangeably. They usually refer to a portable computer as in the normal use of the word "laptop" or sometimes they call it notebook (I know, I know it's confusing ;) ).The reason I say it depends is because I recall that the word notebook are frequently used for Macs. The macintosh laptops (there it goes again) are more often referred to as notebooks.If you ask me, I say laptop is for regular Intel/Windows PCs and notebook are referring to the Macs.

I guess it depends.  Sometimes you might use the two terms interchangeably.  They usually refer to a portable computer as in the normal use of the word "laptop" or sometimes they call it notebook (I know, I know it's confusing ;) ).

The reason I say it depends is because I recall that the word notebook are frequently used for Macs.  The macintosh laptops (there it goes again) are more often referred to as notebooks.

If you ask me, I say laptop is for regular Intel/Windows PCs and notebook are referring to the Macs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm ... Compaq.com (just went there because that's who made my laptop/notebook/whatever) refers to these portable computers as "notebooks." I like your explanation too, except any time that you reference a Mac you should definitely include as many "$$$" symbols as possible. Ex: "I have a Macinto$h. It wa$ very expen$ive." *snickers*

Notebooks used to be portable computers that did not have internet hardware onboard, like modems or network ports. This was used in the old days.Laptops do have them so the are called lap (as in your lap) TOP. Which derives from desk top.But since most of the portable computers have internet access stuff on board, laptop is the most common name now.ps. don't ask me for proof or something, I read it somewhere a long time ago and I can't be bothered to find a source ;)

I do think that Laptops/Notebooks are one and the same thing... some brands like to call them one way or the other, but basically they meen portable computers.I dont really understand all the fuss about this question anyway...;)

This thing bothers me also. But as far as I know both are same thing. Sometime ago word laptop was used very much but now a days I am seeing that Notebook word is more in fashion now a days. I will definately like if somebody clarify the difference between Notebook and Laptop.

Opinion/Suggestion : I also confused with the terms really.. but laptop is small enough and keep it in lap while working. notebook is much thinner than laptop. both are portable. but ultimately meant the same.-kavi

difference between laptop and notebook

Notebook Or Laptop?

1)macs company called the portable pcs as notebooks earlier, other companys calls as laptops.

2)notebooks don't have internet card, graphics card and it is with less battery backup.

3)LAPTOPs are similar to pcs now a days what ever we do in desktop can be done even in laptop.

-reply by vijaykumar

I believe that the notebook was referring to the smaller laptops that were slower but smaller. Also it could have came from the time when portable computers were out and people then have portable computers that are the size of a notebook. I have a notebook computer from 1996; 486 100 DX2, and it calls itself a notebook not a laptop. It is relatively small for the time but not very thin. When the computers started to have screens the size of 13" or greater they changed the name since we already have notebook in the dictionary and everyone started to get confused. Laptop was the word of choice probably coming from the full computer, Desktop, was changed because this computer spent most it's time on the lap. But not that we have over 1 GHz laptops, they cant really stay on the lap for long because they tend to burn you.

Haha... I remember my confusion when buying my first notebook and going, 'what the heck is the difference?'

But yeah... like everyone said: they're the same thing.

A notebook is a small laptop with similar price, performance, and battery life.

Isn't there a rule never to use the defined word in the definition? x]

There's no difference between laptop and notebook. Since both of them mean the EXACT same thing. So don't worry. However, it does sound funny if I said I have a gaming notebook. So for me, notebook is for work and laptops is for general use but they don't have a difference because the two words mean the same thing. It's just a different connotation.xboxrulz

I lean towards the side of Mac's call them notebooks and others call them laptops. Really they are the same thing but I always kind of thought laptops are bigger and notebooks are smaller and they are made for a college student that uses it mainly for school work and they carry it around with there books hence the name notebook.

Edited by Running With Scissors (see edit history)

I also don't see any difference between a notebook or a laptop, but does a desktop computer have a different name? Sometimes I also thought that notebooks refer to smaller laptops, because my foreign isn't English, moreover, for smaller computers in my language we have several words.