xisto Community
joe91179

List Some Good Freeware Applications Freeware apps

Does anyone know any good freeware applications? If so, can you please list them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Freeware has *really* gone down the tubes in the last few years. I used to have no problem getting free programs - and I *loved* the "guiltware" concept that some programmers came up with. (They asked you to donate to a charity or foundation of their choice - and they often gave you several options - if you felt bad about getting a good program for free.)

However: now there's so much spyware and adware packaged with so many of the "free" programs that I tend to avoid them unless it's absolutely necessary.

Example: I thought it would be sweet to have a Kill Bill desktop theme, so I Googled for one. I kept running into this seemingly *great* theme (XP user here) from this one guy. It was all over the Internet ... looked really awesome from the screen shots, etc. I tried installing it and was given a message stating that an adbar would be included "to help keep it free." I canceled the installation and deleted the file, then went back to the site and gave it a bad rating. I mean ... seriously ... if someone wants to get something in return for creating desktop themes, set up a site that requires us to <- snipped -> banners before we're taken to the download screen. Or charge us a buck apiece through PayPal. Or just put ads up on the page. Or something. But dumping spy/adware into programs ... really ... really ... stinks.

And that's my tangent for today. ;)}

It would help if you were more specific about what kind of freeware, one category alone would be overwhelming by itself. Graphics, audio, word processors, IDEs, Code Editors, Icon editors, FTP servers, FTP clients, web servers, database servers, and so on so your question leaves potentially a bunch of different answers depending on what the freeware is actually supposed to do.

Also, very often people are confused between freeware and open-source.Personnally I am very satisfied with FileZilla, which is fully free and efficient and has no problem. Some people write down programs and want their programs to be widely used, without wanting money for that. This is the base of open-source programs.So, if your topic asks which "free" programs can be recommended by satisfied people, I recommend FileZilla.I just tried NVU for designing websites, and was quite disappointed : the product seemed very interesting, especially because it was able to directly open my site at Xisto , modifying my pages and directly publish. Unfortunately, I had errors when modifying pages created by Frontpage, so I will give up with this product.

Here is some freeware i use:

1. CCleaner - it's a windows cleaner software.
2. The Gimp - The GNU Image Manipulation Program ( it's a really cool software)
3. Picasa from Google - Find, edit and share your picture
4. Bloodshed Dev C++
5. Skype - Call all your friends in internet for free
6. Nvu - make or edit your website
7. Web CEO - software to promote analyze and maintain your site

If anyone have more interesting freeware, please tell me.

Ok here is my contribute:

XnView
- its an aplication for displaying images, among many other formats it can even read PDF.
- best of all its completley FREE
- available in many major world languages
- link to it's website: http://www.xnview.com/en/

I have to agree with Houdini, it would help to know what type of software you were looking for. No offence intended but I think the question that needs to be asked is where to find good freeware, but that is going to be my first "new" post.TPW

It's basicly a wide open question since you havn't said what kind you want. But heres a bunch of Open-Sorce/Freeware programs I useThe GIMP - 2D graphics editor. Kind of like Photoshop but worse in someways and better in some. Inkscape - A great SVG Vector Graphics editor. Great for designing websites!Abiword - Awesome word word processor. Better then MS Word I think. It has less un-needed junk.Firefox - Much better then IE for shure. Best browser for shure.Thuderbird - Best E-mail program in my opinion. I highly recomend it.XMMS - Good music player. Still has some things I don't like but genraly it's good.Scribus - Great for designing flyers and the like.Eclipse - Great for programinig in Java, C, C++ ect.Hope that helps!

Freeware is a good idea. However, I do have to agree with one previous reply. ADWARE IS BAD... this is common however in freeware. However there are a few very large programs that are good for webdesigners and webmasters.GIMP-Great freeware graphics program, comparable to Paint Shop Pro. Nvu-WYSIWYG Program that I would prefer over Microsoft Front Page.Not only can you get entire programs for free but you can get JavaScript codes and Java games for free use on your website as well. Those can really enhance your site if you use them correctly. A good place to start is javascriptsource.com.Hope This Helped!God Bless You...

Audacityaudacity.sourceforge.netOne of the most amazing programs I have ever used for free!And the large base of code writers just keeps growing.