xisto Community
joe91179

List Some Good Freeware Applications Freeware apps

Aside from the already-mentioned freeware which i won't trouble to repeat, one great freeware program isBES
and here's a quote from their site, which sums it up:

BES is a small tool which limits the CPU usage for a specified process: for instance, you can limit the CPU usage of a process which would use CPU 100%, down to 50% (or any percentage you like). With this, you can use other programs comfortably while doing something CPU-intensive in the background. By limiting the CPU load, you can also cool down your CPU immediately when it happens to get too hot. Of course the processing speed will slow down proportionally if you limit the CPU usage, but it should be much better than crashing because of heat or (in the worst scenario) having your computer broken with a burned CPU.
Furthermore, BES can hide any windows you don't want to be seen for some reason, without killing the process, and restore the hidden windows again anytime you like.

BES is GPL'ed free software, distributed with source code.

BES has multilingual interface--menu language is switchable between Japanese, English, and Finnish. Although I have not yet written the manual in other languages than Japanese, you can basically use it easily as it is intuitive. Check these screenshots.

Just in case you wonder, BES stands for "Battle Encoder Shirase," a parody of two anime titles: Battle Programmer Shirase and Battle Fairy Yukikaze.

i've used the newest beta, and haven't run into any problems with it so far.

then of course there's DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, MP3Gain, Quicktime Alternative, Real Alternative, VLC media player(a player that plays just about any format), and Speedfan. I know i didn't link them all, but they're only a google away.