xisto Community
sparx

Im From Google - Googletalk Beta

I've read that you can use Google Talk only with an existing GMail account? Is taht true? If so, that's not good i think. Yahoo lets me use the Yahoo Messenger without using their email services. What reason does Google have to force you to use both?

Because they know gmail is superior to whatever mail you are using and thus want everyone to switch to it?They probably just want to integrate it nicely with gmail, they already have all the inbox notification, I'm sure they could add more... all these features are just broken space if you dont link it to a gmail accountThath having been said I installed Google Tlkl last night...lost interest quickly... I'll keep it around incase it catches on or anyone I know uses it but otherwise it's got some growing to do before I'm gonna start using it alongside my others.

Actually, since Google Talk is using the jabber protocol, people who use a more feature-filled client can take advantage of it by connecting to the talk.google.com server.I personally have succesfully connected to the Google Talk service using Miranda IM. Of course, the whole point of being able to use voice to interact is pointless on my end as my bandwidth is on average 48 kbps. :D What is good IMHO, is that byusing an existing Open Source protocol, Google is making the first baby steps toward interoperability. I hate that I can't talk to other users just because I use XX or YY messenger service. IM should be as ubiquitous as email. One shouldn't have to ask - what IM do you use? Just what's your IM ID?

You need a gmail address for using gtalk. So, you will not be able to talk with MSN people.MSN works with people having gmail accounts. gtalk does not connect people havint hotmail accounts...So, on that particular point, MSN is opening the communication, and google is restricting to gmail users.

I'm so used with msn messenger now. but who knows, maybe google will be sooooo good that it will own all the rest of instant messengers :D we just need to test it :D otherwise, I don't see the reason of releaseing the software which is at least the same as the other ones...

You need a gmail address for using gtalk. So, you will not be able to talk with MSN people.

MSN works with people having gmail accounts. gtalk does not connect people havint hotmail accounts...

So, on that particular point, MSN is opening the communication, and google is restricting to gmail users.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you be kind enough to clarify? I was always under the impression that in order to sign up for the MSN messenger service, one needed a .NET Passport -- effectively a @hotmail.com / @msn.com email address.

Another person has written something similar about not using yahoo email to sign up for yahoo messenger. It's very simple - Don't use the email service, just use the email address to login to your IM client. The whole point is to connect with your buddies who are on the same service. By using the jabber protocol Google Talk in fact encourages people to use other clients. Also I'm not seeing any adverts in Google Talk yet, but MSN messenger certainly has them at the bottom of the contact list.

No service forces you to use their email... being able to log in and use all the services provided by a web-based service company (Microsoft MSN / Yahoo / Google ) with a single login is what they're pushing at the moment. Do more under one roof is the mantra of today's portals.

I've read that you can use Google Talk only with an existing GMail account? Is taht true? If so, that's not good i think. Yahoo lets me use the Yahoo Messenger without using their email services. What reason does Google have to force you to use both?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In case you hadn't noticed, it's in BETA!

Gmail is still in Beta too, but Google Talk is obviously designed to work alongside Gmail, so Google want to test them together.

Yahoo is out of Beta testing, and has been for some time. The only reason (as far as I can see) that Google only allow those people lucky enough to have Gmail accounts to use Google Talk is so they can test it (and because it imports one's Gmail contacts). When the final product is released I'm sure Google will allow anyone with a Google Account to use Google Talk.

I'm not an instant messenger user, but I'm willing to try out the IM at Google. The other products made by this company have been top-notch, innovative and highly reliable. I've been at Gmail for ten months or so, and though it's in Beta, the server has only been down twice. I had worse results with hotmail, which has been up for years. They were constantly slow and sometimes down. Not to mention the space and new concepts for web based. Based on their previous services, I'm excited to see what this one will do.

Google Talk is fantastic, ive been Talking to a lot of others using it and its great quality and speed. It puts MSNMessengers silly audio feature to absolute shame and gives it a kick and then some. Its missing some key features ill admit though, such as file transfer and perhaps webcam. Font colour, avatar and the such would be very nice to actually have. Although its very basic it is a far better client than any of the mainstream ones (#MSNM, YIM, AIM or ICQ) and its voice encoding is second to none. I love Google Talk!

I want to know because I beta tested windows media player 10 and it deleted a whole lot of my files, or made them corrupt. I don't want to use another program while it's in beta before they finalize tests. I used to but then it backfired and screwed me over. It's not that I don't trust the certain producer, it's just the idea in whole.Now i'll ask again. When does the FINAL release come out? Anyone know? K thanks