xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
evion

The Future Of Mmorpgs Virtual reality?

When you play your favorite MMORPG, do you look and wish you it could ever be real? Wouldn't it be wonderful to live 2 different lives? There will be so much possibilities that you can think of. The idea of Virtual Reality now comes to hand with many scientists.

The mind is a wonderous thing. It enables you to "feel" everything around you. It allows freedom of your body to learn. If you touch fire, it burns, it hurts, your mind tells you to pull away. Let's think about it differently - You touch fire, it burns, it's SUPPOSED to hurt, your mind tells you it doesn't hurt so you don't feel anything. The ability to alter our mind's thoughts are what scientists are working on now. To be able to make your mind BELIEVE it is in a different situation than it is right now is what makes the word Virtual Reality so special.

So you're thinking: What has all this got to do with MMORPGs? Well for one thing, in Virtual Reality, it is as what it says - based on reality in a different form or universe. What is reality? Reality is you, the world, and other "you's"(people and animals). Thus we can say that in Virtual Reality, you would be viewing a different world in a first-person-view. MMORPGs are based on a one-person-view, thus it is Virtual Reality in itself.

But when we think of the many wondrous possibilities of Virtual Reality, we think abouts its cons too. When you get hit or stabbed in Virtual Reality, your mind tells you that this hurts, and you feel pain. When you are stabbed to DEATH in Virtual Reality, your mind tells you that you are supposed to be dead. But you're not. What happens? In theory, you would be brain-dead. Your mind just stops working because it thinks it is dead, it thinks YOU are dead.

When we look at the future of MMORPGs, we think Virtual Reality. We dream about being able to lead another life where you are the boss and control everything. In real life, you are influenced by everyone else. In Virtual Reality, you get to choose your paths and if you think something is wrong, you change it. So is this considered Virtual Reality if you can change your life?

The questions are endless, but I'll stop at this point and leave most of you thinking about what the world can bring us - both good and bad.

If what you say is true and scientists are actually trying to do this real "virtual reality"... you trying to say that it could be like those holodecks in star trek... but instead of a deck.. its in your mind.. thats where you can obviously see where some problems will occur if they do by chance learn a way to make the "virtual" reality.

It would be the Biggest Addiction to the worst since Cocaine and Heroine. *sniff*

yes it would be sooo amazing if i could play my favorite MMORPG... and make it reality. but then you see people wont leave it..... they will literaly starve to death...

If your mind thinks its eating... .. no i dont think so. doesnt work that way.

there wont be the REAL sense ure thinking of. because its to much for the body to handle.. living 1 life is hard enough to control. but your saying.. Give us a chance to live 2? 3? . 4? as many as we want... When it gets to that point. what one would you know is real.

People living one life ALREADY and they belive their god damn in Dungeons and dragons... Like c'mon... you might aswell give children .. Or Adults Crack.

At least when u get off that.. you'll know whats real.

Virtual reality would be somethin reall cool but with a few downsides. You couldn't die in the game or atleast feel it to make your mind think it's dead. I think it would just be really cool to like control your character by your body movements / fight using your movements. It would definetely add more life to the game. Thought it would have many bugs / fixes to work out before it would be released.

Hmm...that would be pretty cool...and i think most likely will happen sometime in the future. I dont know if i'll have that gaming passion still by that time...but i bet it will be a major fad in the future. Haha and yea it does sound kinda like dot hack.

It'll be cool to have virtual reality. I always thought that was a cool concept in the .dot hack saga. If that was possible, I wouldn't mind wasting my life on it every free chance I would get :) Games being virtual reality will truly be a far off next generation ownage.

I agree and in addition, don't you feel something simmiliar, maybe even better than virtual reality when you have one of those dreams which you understand that you're dreaming and or you feel the touch, pain there etc. all the emotions, but for it, this effect does not last long, I believe in we could have something like a dream machine, it could be something like our second live ? :) because as i understan virtual reality is made by computer ? when dreaming we see real stuff. :S

The mind is a wonderous thing. It enables you to "feel" everything around you. It allows freedom of your body to learn. If you touch fire, it burns, it hurts, your mind tells you to pull away. Let's think about it differently - You touch fire, it burns, it's SUPPOSED to hurt, your mind tells you it doesn't hurt so you don't feel anything. The ability to alter our mind's thoughts are what scientists are working on now. To be able to make your mind BELIEVE it is in a different situation than it is right now is what makes the word Virtual Reality so special.

1064319534[/snapback]

Have you ever seen the movie "Lawnmower Man"? The beginning shows people using a system just like this. There were connectors at the temples of your head that fed all the "virtual reality" data into your brain so everything was "real". All the touching, pain, etc, as well as the death, were expressed by your actual body (or more so in the brain since even when those things happen in real life it all happens in the brain).

So is this considered Virtual Reality if you can change your life?

It only depends on your point of view of what is REAL, my friend. Shame the huge majority of people only considered that after Matrix came out.

Meh - life is for having fun! supposibly, MMORPGs are the funnest things I have yet to do - virtual MMORPG = heaven. bring them on! :D-Logan

Take on long term VR.The Future Of Mmorpgs

I think VR will in deed be the next generation in gamers lives but as far as long term VR (such as really living in a VR world) I think it would be reserved for people in a life long coma. The idea would be to put the person into a VR world and then have his/her family "visit" them in that world for a short time. I see no problem with that take on VR usage but like some said before me, as people play these VR games they might start dying off little by little. That is why as VR's becomes Neural the creator must by law implant a safe guard that saves and shuts down the VR simulator every hour for at least an hour to give the player time to eat/drink (and maybe shower lol) so that the player will not confuse the VR world with the real world. So in this prospective I find no reason to have VR's be a bad thing, just think as if it was you that had one of your family members in a coma wouldn't you like to be able to visit them in there mind to say hi and to be able to inform them of whats happening out side.

The only "Cons" I see in VR gaming is look at today's world we have hundreds of hackers that like "Modding" systems to cheat. Whats to say they will not "Mod" their VR implant so they can play long term.

With that said look at all the medical progress we can use VR's for and just the one down side, This gamer thinks the Pro's are will Worth the Con's 

-reply by Ikagu (Extream Gamer)

to be able to enter a world where you cant die and you could do whatever you wanted would be the best thing to happen ever and when that happens perhaps we can gain immortality by uploading our mind to that virtual world... It would be perfect for people that wanna play around with stuff they cant do in real life (if this life is even real that is)

I would buy this sort off device right now if it was out

-reply by psycotixz

Good in the sense that it could work in the medical field, perhaps give life to people who cannot move around. At least in a virtual world they can do what they want to do as if it was the real world. In terms of MMORPG, that would be really great but I cant just think that people would prefer the Virtual World way more than the real world. In the sense in MMORPG, everyone can practically succeed, just need the determination, this can be very addicting in that sense. Well it just depends on the player, as not everyone gets totally drowned in their MMORPGs, I dont and ive been playing them for many years of my life. But yes it does sound like a .hack// creation, but I doubt I'll be around when those are created into reality. ;A; So sad... isn't it.

Its a damn good question, because it makes me think.The Future Of Mmorpgs

I'm a deep thinker to. To answer your question I would have to say your mind or body wouldn't go braindead. Even if it was like the matrixs, I think it would be impossible unless something from the real world kills you. 

According to your virtual reality, it is based on the theory that you feel anything because it looks so real I have come up with this. I think if you were to see a knife coming at you, your brain would sense an extreme amount of danger and it would cause your andenaline to pump. This is a real emotion but the knife hitting you isn't real but the pain is, how much pain would you actually feel though. Pain is generally a healthy response in your defensive system letting you know there is something wrong, HOWEVER, because this is virtual reality and it isn't actually happening there is no way your brain would shut down, or you would register that extreme of pain at all! To further prove this theory is correct I will demonstrate through logic. (If your brainshuts down because you think you got stabbed with a knife... I think youd have to be really dumb- I mean you can't think your dead, because when your dead you cant think. Lol)

Have you ever been hungry and you close your eyes for a minute think about a big juicy steak, marinated in lush bbq sauce and a1? Can you almost smell that steak, can you almost taste it on your tongue?

How about this. Have you ever heard the sound of someone running their finger nails on a chalk board? Picture the sound, the feel, the shreeking. 

Last one: Picture the most painful thing in your life. Purhaps it is jumping in a pile of coals with your foot, maybe someone snapped your arm playing football. What ever it was think about it. Where in your body do you feel it? For me I jumped in a pile of coals when I was young and thinking about it makes my foot tingle I can almost feel it thinking about it now.

I believe that this is about as much you will feel when stabbed by a knife. 

This is the limit in which you will feel pain. 

-reply by Brad