xisto Community
TotalLamer

Which Distro Of Linux Is Best For A Windows User ?

I like Ubuntu since its style, because GNOME Theme Manager is awesome. Security, built on the Debian platform (this is based on Linux Kernel). Popularity, even DELL is using on their PCs.So if you like Debian, got a Dell PC or like some bling, use Ubuntu.xxxx-jozh-xxxx@finaldesign: Yes, you can still order free Ubuntu CDs, Also, they come with Ubuntu stickers!

I agree with hatim. Ubuntu was regarded as the Best Linux Distribution of 2005 by PCWorld.But be prepared for the troubles coming during the first days of your Linux life. It's different from Windows and not that easy to use. And if you plan to play your Windows games under Linux, you will need a Windows emulator and quite some Linux skills.
By the way, most Linux distros are free for downloading.

I too will echo the support for Ubuntu. 2 of my households 5 machines are dual boot systems. Why do I still have Windows on those? I have yet to get WoW and EQ to run properly under Ubuntu. I have had some decent attempts (WoW will run the starting Video, but not load up)

The ease on installation, dowload, burn CD, and boot, works well, once you have your drive partitioned to leave a free block to use. (find an ISO of a bootable GPARTED to shrink your windows partition)

On my opinion, I would recommend Ubuntu with KDE installed or Kubuntu. If you like Media Center in XP/Vista, install LinuxMCE. It can monitor cameras, turn off lights. But one problem with LinuxMCE, you need compatible software.xxxx-jozh-xxxx

Mandrake for the noob,Slackware for the experienced,
Gentoo for the brave !

Exactly what I am personnally thinking.
Referring to the initial question, which concerns "Linux for a Windows User", I would say that a Windows-only user can be consedered as a noob when he starts working with Linux.
That's why I would personnally recommend Mandrake, (or it's free version named Mandriva), because it's really user-oriented, you have nothing to think about simply accept everything (except if you don't use a qwerty keyboard of course) exactly as you do when Installing Crosoft. And I love their way auto-configuring Ethernet.
I have a small regret concerning the Wifi adapters, where free Mandriva says "I see your device, I know this hardware, but the drivers are not in the free version, buy the commercial version". Of course, you can still get the drivers from the wifi device manufacturer's website, but I feel this way of working slightly unfriendly.
But, Definitively, I say : Windows users should switch to Mandrake, or at least taste the look-and-feel using the "Mandriva One" Live-CD : you simply boot from the CD-ROM, nothing is installed on your hard drive, you surf on the web with FireFox, you write down your documents using OpenOffice. Then, if you don't like it, forget about it. And if you like it, you install it.
By the way, when you install Mandrake on your hard disk, I love the way it manages the Windows/Linux multiboot, letting you easily choose or modify the default one (default Linux of course, and you temporily change it default to Windows if your grandmother needs to use your PC during a week-end).

Hmm, I would have to go with what the majority have said and recommend Ubuntu to the ex-Windows-power-user-and-now-Linux-newbie. Ubuntu does most of the hard work for you, install's snappy and very well documented, hardware support is generally great and it's got GUIs for almost every little thing that you need to tweak in the system. At the same time, it has this certain window of commands that, if you want to be efficient, can be done through the command line; thereby making new users learn that the real power to any Linux distro lies in the CLI.Plus, Ubuntu ships with GNOME as the default desktop environment, and we all know how most people know their way around menus.That's basically what Ubuntu is, a distro built on sensible defaults, but with enough flexibility to give way to the user's choice.I agree though, Gentoo is something that's only for the brave... or those who have a lot of free time. :rolleyes:

I just played with Kubuntu 7.10, they fixed a lot of my annoyance with that distribution. It's easier now. However, it's not really customisable which irritates me a lot. Its handling of the sound systems and its sudo is bugging the hell out of me.I think the only true distro that suits me is SuSE (now openSUSE)

I'll recommend ubuntu. It's very easy for a windows user (like I was), because you don't need to know hard to remember commands, BUT what I like the most about ubuntu is that, not only the desktop (gnome) enviroment is so cool but also I can use the terminal to learn commands and stuff. Also, the update manager and the Synaptic Package Manager are the most useful things about ubuntu. If you're looking for something especific to install, like.. lets say, a chess game, you just type chess in the package manager and it shows all chess games available to download for free.Also, ubuntu comes with lots of useful software with basic installation, like openOffice, GIMP, and much more!

I think that Ubuntu is definitely the way to go. It is well supported and feature packed. it is also easy to use(atleast for a linux distro). I think the biggest hurdle I faced when I switched from Windows was installing programs. There is no easy way to do it. You have to extract the files and the you have to fool around in the terminal and about half the time I can't get it to work. Of course, you can just use the synaptic installer, but I still think its a messy solution.Good luck in your endeavor.

I'm using Fedora 5 for my servers and for my client's server as well.For portability, I use SLAX (live version of Slackware) on my thumbdrive. I would recommend SLAX for it's easy of adding new software, by just copying a single file per software into the module folder. It will be loaded automatically and shown on the menu. Don't even need to know how to unpack or install it. Save me all the hassle. For thumbdrive, i recommend Corsair Voyager. I'm using the 4GB version. Damn fast. It's good to have a reading speed of 24MB/s compare to ordinary thumbdrive of less than 10MB/s. I booted SLAX in one and a half minutes using Voyager, compare to Kingston's 4 minutes boot time, which I use previously, that's a lot of improvement.I also keep a copy of BackTrack2 and Knoppix Live CD, in case I can't boot off USB, and when I need to crack some Wifi password, hehe ;)

I also keep a copy of BackTrack2 and Knoppix Live CD, in case I can't boot off USB, and when I need to crack some Wifi password, hehe ;)

Please read Xisto rules. Here, we don't do such things, and on sites like ours it's it's forbidden to talk about this. Next time I see a user talking about cracking wifi passwords, this user will be banned and all posts deleted. :P:P

There is one other thing to consider. Ubuntu has a twin brother Kubuntu. The two share the operating system, but differ in the user interface. Ubuntu uses a "clean," more Mac-like desktop. Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop, which more closely resembles the Windows desktop (start menu at the bottom left, task bar at the bottom, etc). Ubuntu also comes in both "desktop" and "server" editions. You want the "desktop." The server is for hosting a website. The ubuntu distro (along with an increasing number of other distros) comes as a "live CD." That means if you can boot off a CD, you can try out that particular brand of Linux without installing it on your computer. It is much slower than running off a hard drive, but it lets you try the OS out without going through the hassle of installing it (and maybe uninstalling it).That's how I learned, for example, that the Ubuntu live CD will automatically mount the partitions on your computer if you click on them, while in Kubuntu, you need to go to a console and enter the shell commands to make a path and mount the partition. (Or maybe do something simpler that I haven't been able to guess. ;) )

Please read Xisto rules. Here, we don't do such things, and on sites like ours it's it's forbidden to talk about this. Next time I see a user talking about cracking wifi passwords, this user will be banned and all posts deleted. ;):P

Sorry bout that. I'm not being rude but I only "mention", I didn't even talk about how to do it or where to get it. I believe by googling a few words, you can get even more info that what I previously posted. My intention is just to share my experience.

Really sorry yordan.

Really sorry yordan.

No problem. However, you must know something. If a stupid guy does something stupid (like googling for doing forbidden things) this guy is guilty.If you push him to do something stupid, YOU are guilty as well.