xisto Community
Houdini

How Long Do I Stay Warned Forever!

I made two posts into two really LAME forums in the Bulletin Board Category. I noticed that no-one had ever even bothered to post in either of the two, so I offered my own opinions. I will admit that I was not kind about these particular forums which no one had even bothered to post in until I did.I got two PM's stating that what I had done was considered spam...is dislike criticism of a forum SPAM? Is that worthy of a warning? If I see something that doesn't even generate a post then by me criticizing it to see if there is even any interest in that particular software or forum should at least generate a defense of said LAME forum, but NO I Got warned and still see that...I was merely excercising free speech which is what I thought happened as long as it isn't illegal immoral, or advocates the overthrow of my own government.At least those two forums have been removed so at least my posts did do something cause no body even cared. Every Now and then a forum itself need pruning and not just posts...all they do is occupy disk space and monitor real estate!

I'll reply to this one fast.

You haven't been warned forever, it's been uhm let's see..

moonwitch  Warned on Jul 31 2005, 07:09 AMmoonwitch  Warned on Jul 31 2005, 07:07 AM

5 days.

Ok, first of all, your posts, which were deleted by ME, didn't even meet the basic requirements for a decent post, just short and repeating "Lame; I hate this, it's worthless". You didn't even post WHY you disliked them.

And as for your right to free speech, you still have that, we merely make rules on how long the free speech can be.

And what you don't know, in fact only mods and admins know, is that soon the forum outline will change, I removed the subforums without posts or moved the posts to a different category.

But I have to hand it to you, 2 pm's to me to tell me how "lame" the warnings are and then a post here.

I can forward this to Nils or you can... your choice, but for me this is the end of the discussion.

Well, I didn't get a chance to view you posts about the BBS forum. I'll assume that it was in the hosted members category and not the software category because it seems to be doing quite well.As far as being warned forever, we'll see about that. As long as you stay under 100% you'll be fine. As far as your opinion about any forum, we encourage you to voice your concerns as long as you can provide a quality post to do so. If it is the forum I think that it is, I also am not a fan and wonder if it is needed but if I choose to express that opinion, I will do so in a manner that follows the rules set for this site. There are many posts here that I do not agree with but as long as there was a true effort to provide quality information to the forum, I don't mind.vujsa

I can never make sense out of posts like this. When a person talks about "freedom of speech", he is usually talking about the kind of rights discussed in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, and similar documents. Since Houdini talks about legality, overthrowing the government, etc., in addition to the right of "freedom of speech", it is even more clear that he is referencing these documents by implication.

Those documents state or assume that a person has the right to speak free of government interference. Specifically, the First Amendment to the United States Constitution says that

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In fact, the courts in the United States have quite reasonably claimed that even that right has its limits.

There may be some legal document somewhere which says that Xisto has no right to abridge an absolute "freedom of speech" on the servers which they privately own or rent, but I won't believe it until I see it. Until I do, I will assume that Xisto, if they want to, can forbid on their own servers posts containing the letter W, or statements that Nils - I suppose that that's the owner of Xisto - has an ugly sister, or statements about the "lameness" of their forums.

In fact, if the law were to arbitrarily force Xisto to post absolutely anything that someone submitted to their private servers, the law would be damaging Xisto's right to private property, which is guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution. The US Supreme Court has itself admitted that, using the famous sentence "Private means private".

The Internet itself is free from jurisdiction of state and police. However, when it comes to fraudulence financial-wise, that is where Interpol steps in. But there is no law that posters have to follow based on the freedom of speech.But about freedom of speech, it has been practically chopped off from it's knee. The best way to survive here in Xisto is to be really, REALLY vague and cover up your opinions. This is just the way life is...